A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I've already laid out the blueprint for the new All Ireland entity regularly here over the years
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

StGallsGAA

Quote from: balladmaker on December 29, 2016, 11:18:24 PM
The Tories are looking for a facesaving excuse to jettison the north out of the UK ... Brexit could be seen as the right excuse at the right time.

The trick now is to create a New Ireland as opposed to the stigmatised (in the eyes of Unionism) United Ireland.  The last thing anyone needs is another 30+ year war on this island.  There's now a chance to get some serious discussion going, but it has to be all party and not just SF.  A SF view of any new Ireland will never go down with those from the unionist or loyalist traditions.

I'm confident now that I will see this new Ireland in my lifetime assuming I live for another 20 yrs or so. Before June 23rd, I held out no hope of seeing it.

I'm sure the Brits would love to jettison South East Antrim on the Republic tomorrow.  Until they sort out that cesspit of 40 years of unhindered MI5 sponsorsed drugs and murder gangs they can keep it and fix themselves.

Eamonnca1

Me too, but I'll post my own ideas here again.

• Retain Stormont in its present form, with its current checks and balances. Retain the north as a "special administrative region" like Hong Kong is in China.
  • Unified state should join the Commonwealth, but as a republic with its own head of state. Two reasons:

• Reassure unionists that their British identity has some sort of official representation
    • No harm in having a realistic recognition of the island's relationship with its neighbour
  • Community work on the ground to get a permanent solution to the parades issue (residents agree to welcome parades if the organizers drop the anti-catholic and overt political supremacist trappings of their organizations and events, re-purpose them as gestures of friendship rather than "strenuous opposition" to the Roman bogeyman). Derry's handling of the Apprentice Boys is one example of what can be done.

Making a united Ireland easier for unionists to swallow would make it a lot more likely to happen sooner rather than later.

armaghniac

Quote from: StGallsGAA on December 29, 2016, 11:41:29 PM
I'm sure the Brits would love to jettison South East Antrim on the Republic tomorrow.  Until they sort out that cesspit of 40 years of unhindered MI5 sponsorsed drugs and murder gangs they can keep it and fix themselves.

Perhaps we could give it to Scotland?

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 29, 2016, 11:51:29 PM
  • Unified state should join the Commonwealth, but as a republic with its own head of state. Two reasons:

Joining the Commonwealth is the type of reasonable measure that should be considered. Only in the deal though, if you join too soon they'd simply bank it as something you should have done all along. [/list]
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Doing something with Scotland might be even better than join ing the commonwealth. Ireland and Scotland go back a very long way.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

I am reading Northern Catholics: in search of a state by Fionnuala O Connor. Written in 1993. A united Ireland was deemed impossible back then. Amazing how things change. The Prod brain drain doesnt get the attention it deserves. And the SDLP got 2/3 of the Catholic vote back then.

T Fearon

It is totally impossible now,with SF and SDLP respectively the junior partners in a Stormont administration's Government and Opposition,and SF alone shoring up a DUP under severe pressure.

Added to the practically universal opposition to Unity in the 26 counties,a United Ireland is now less likely than at any time since partition,and with Brexit this will be copperfastened further with a substantial physical border.

A big well done to all so called Nationalist parties North and South for delivering permanent British Rule.

heganboy

Quote. practically universal opposition     

And you're basing that on a recent poll that you're about to share with us I suppose? Looking forward to it.

Or are you yet again making shit up to support your baseless opinions.

"People are saying" thanks Donald...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Brexit could cut UK incomes by 20%. And it will leave the UK outside the EU. Neither of these are attractive to Ulster Protestants  NI is an adopted child and the Eurosceptics now in charge in London are not interested in the Somme sacrifice or parades.

T Fearon

1.I am certain if the 26 county electorate were presented today with a referendum on Irish Unity,based on the full facts,i.e. cost,community division,parades disputes,ongoing paramilitarism,imbalance between public and private sector etc,that they would overwhelmingly reject this option.I would not blame them.

2.Neither Unionism,nor nationalism,will be swayed in any way by any economic arguments,to abandon what they see as their nationality,heritage or culture.

3.The idea that the South is or will be able to pick up the tab economically for the North,to compensate for any reduced British funding,is laughable.

In short there is not going to be a UI any time soon

johnneycool

If a united Ireland was granted in the morning I bet no one in Ardoyne or anywhere else would give a flying f**k where some shitty flute band marched.

seafoid

The UK is at a crossroads with a split population and a broken economic model. Previous episodes resulted in the establishment of the church of england and the execution of the king. Nothing can be guaranteed.

T Fearon

Please explain how the South (the North can't do it) will fund a United Ireland,in the million to one chance a majority on both sides of the border would agree to it? Explain how,for example,gay marriage will be introduced into the North in the face of universal unionist (and a significant volume of nationalist) resistance?

Rossfan

Must have missed the Referendum on gay marriage in the 6 Cos?
The 6Cos residents need to grow up and start paying their way like normal people and societies do.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Samforever

Quote from: Rossfan on January 02, 2017, 11:56:24 AM
Must have missed the Referendum on gay marriage in the 6 Cos?
The 6Cos residents need to grow up and start paying their way like normal people and societies do.

Did you miss how Roscommon voted on Gay Marriage. Think you should engage your brain before you come out with crap like that.