10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Uncle Phil

Quote from: JoG2 on October 12, 2018, 03:37:51 PM
Quote from: Uncle Phil on October 12, 2018, 03:34:09 PM
Quote from: toby47 on October 12, 2018, 10:07:26 AM
The biggest problem with drawing Tyrone again is trying to get players to commit this year.

I saw the GPA ran a report recently that showed inter-county players devoted on average 31 hours a week to football. Players may feel this commitment/sacrifice  is not worth division 4 football and a thumping from Tyrone come May.

Damien must have some sort of panel together at the minute as I am aware they have met a few times. I'm not sure in what context they have met but hopefully he can somehow get a decent panel of men together that are willing to commit. I am also aware there have been players that have already turned down an invite to the county panel already.

What would possess any footballer to play for Derry currently? Busting your balls for ten months, not training with your club, missing social events, to get knocked out in the Qualifiers by Louth or somebody. Bloody depressing.

not as bloody depressing as you Phil

Lol sorry to kill your Friday buzz Joe. I despair at the current state of Derry football, and I hope it improves as much as anyone else.  But am I far off the mark? The gap between effort and rewards for county footballers (unless you play for Dublin, Kerry, or Galway) is at an all time high. I commend the players who sacrafice it all for County Football, it's admirable. But I also empathise with players who opt out. Maybe I need to lighten up and have a beer. Damn, I can't, I have a challenge game against UUJ in a month.....

Derry Optimist

With a full panel available for all next year's National League games I have no doubt that Derry's preparations  for the 2019 Ulster Championship meeting with Tyrone can be immeasurably enhanced as opposed to the last four years when so many of their top players were unavailable for most of the League games as well as players missing for the Championship games.If they commit fully there are at least 30 players seriously competing for starting berths on the team for next May.To start the ball rolling as it were I would like to see the following  team starting against Tyrone.
                                                  B McKinless
             N Keenan                      B Rogers                  K McKaigue
             C McFaul                        C McKaigue              Sean Leo McGoldrick
                                    C McAtamney           P. Cassidy
             D Heavron                     E Bradley                 N Toner
             E Lynn                           Colm McGoldrick       M Lynch
Substitutes:O Hartin
                    G McKinless
                    P McGrogan
                    C McCluskey   
                    K Johnston
                    L McGoldrick
                    M Bateson
                    M McEvoy
                    C McWilliams.
                    N Holly
                    R Bell
                    J Kielt
                    R Mooney
                    B Heron
                   S McGuigan
    I am sure that I have omitted others  who should be seriously considered, especially new players who have impressed in Derry's club Championships this year at all levels.With proper preparations and commitment by all concerned there is no earthly reason why Derry can not make significant progress in 2010.With all their best players on board, winning the League in impressive fashion, should be a minimum priority.This in turn should be a great incentive to turn in a much improved Championship season in 2019.

restorepride

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 12, 2018, 09:46:12 AM
Quote from: restorepride on October 11, 2018, 07:41:51 PM
Irish News report of match:

"After the interval, Coleraine gradually took control. Niall Holly and, in particular, RuairĂ­ Mooney, drove their side on with umpteen raids forward"

Then again, what would they know?!

More than you obviously. You said he was playing as a stopper in the first half which was complete bollocks lad, this comment does not in any way change that.
Yes it does.  Mooney came in for special mention in the report on the basis of his second half performance. He was more of a stopper for most of first half and very effective in stifling the forward movement of Screen no 5.  Dry up your Baker tears. He was useless to Screen last Sunday.

screenexile

Quote from: lineball on October 10, 2018, 08:33:41 PM
Quote from: DERRYSFINEST on October 10, 2018, 03:02:57 PM
i hear Gormley has stepped down from Glen.  They were really poor against Lavey on Sunday. 

Why can Glen and Magherafelt not get over the line in senior championship and win one.  Being townie teams is a lazy analysis, but what is the reason considering the amount of good youth players they produce?
It's Called pedigree. Most Successfull clubs have that knowledge of winning championships. E.G. It's taken Banagher 53 years to win an Adult championship. I don't recall Glen winning one and Magherfelt's last win was in 1977

Yeah you weren't supposed to use lazy analysi!!

JoG2

Quote from: Uncle Phil on October 12, 2018, 03:53:50 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 12, 2018, 03:37:51 PM
Quote from: Uncle Phil on October 12, 2018, 03:34:09 PM
Quote from: toby47 on October 12, 2018, 10:07:26 AM
The biggest problem with drawing Tyrone again is trying to get players to commit this year.

I saw the GPA ran a report recently that showed inter-county players devoted on average 31 hours a week to football. Players may feel this commitment/sacrifice  is not worth division 4 football and a thumping from Tyrone come May.

Damien must have some sort of panel together at the minute as I am aware they have met a few times. I'm not sure in what context they have met but hopefully he can somehow get a decent panel of men together that are willing to commit. I am also aware there have been players that have already turned down an invite to the county panel already.

What would possess any footballer to play for Derry currently? Busting your balls for ten months, not training with your club, missing social events, to get knocked out in the Qualifiers by Louth or somebody. Bloody depressing.

not as bloody depressing as you Phil

Lol sorry to kill your Friday buzz Joe. I despair at the current state of Derry football, and I hope it improves as much as anyone else.  But am I far off the mark? The gap between effort and rewards for county footballers (unless you play for Dublin, Kerry, or Galway) is at an all time high. I commend the players who sacrafice it all for County Football, it's admirable. But I also empathise with players who opt out. Maybe I need to lighten up and have a beer. Damn, I can't, I have a challenge game against UUJ in a month.....

Enjoyed that

Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 12, 2018, 04:57:00 PM
With a full panel available for all next year's National League games I have no doubt that Derry's preparations  for the 2019 Ulster Championship meeting with Tyrone can be immeasurably enhanced as opposed to the last four years when so many of their top players were unavailable for most of the League games as well as players missing for the Championship games.If they commit fully there are at least 30 players seriously competing for starting berths on the team for next May.To start the ball rolling as it were I would like to see the following  team starting against Tyrone.
                                                  B McKinless
             N Keenan                      B Rogers                  K McKaigue
             C McFaul                        C McKaigue              Sean Leo McGoldrick
                                    C McAtamney           P. Cassidy
             D Heavron                     E Bradley                 N Toner
             E Lynn                           Colm McGoldrick       M Lynch
Substitutes:O Hartin
                    G McKinless
                    P McGrogan
                    C McCluskey   
                    K Johnston
                    L McGoldrick
                    M Bateson
                    M McEvoy
                    C McWilliams.
                    N Holly
                    R Bell
                    J Kielt
                    R Mooney
                    B Heron
                   S McGuigan
    I am sure that I have omitted others  who should be seriously considered, especially new players who have impressed in Derry's club Championships this year at all levels.With proper preparations and commitment by all concerned there is no earthly reason why Derry can not make significant progress in 2010.With all their best players on board, winning the League in impressive fashion, should be a minimum priority.This in turn should be a great incentive to turn in a much improved Championship season in 2019.

If they're asked more like D. O.!

cuyahoga

Is there no room, even among the subs, for Niall Loughlin?

Derry Optimist

Well observed Cuyahoga!Forgot  about Niall Loughlin who would be a definite starter in my estimation if he is available.Others like Emmett McGuckin should also be included in the panel.My suggested panel otherwise is not prescriptive as I  said but in the main representative of the many players who are capable of playing championship football for Derry.

club football only

Hi ! What's the story with next year's club championship??? Is it twelve teams in each championship or the 16?

JoG2

Quote from: club football only on October 13, 2018, 09:49:49 AM
Hi ! What's the story with next year's club championship??? Is it twelve teams in each championship or the 16?

Top 4 in junior play intermediate championship, so I'm guessing the same for intermediate / senior? Not sure though if that means the top 4 in the league at the time of the draw or the 4 semi finalists this year

Joe toe

Quote from: JoG2 on October 13, 2018, 11:01:44 AM

Top 4 in junior play intermediate championship, so I'm guessing the same for intermediate / senior? Not sure though if that means the top 4 in the league at the time of the draw or the 4 semi finalists this year
top 4 in 1b league playing senior championship next year, sure what would the purpose be of Banagher V Newbridge play off if otherwise

JoG2

Quote from: Joe toe on October 14, 2018, 09:19:39 AM

top 4 in 1b league playing senior championship next year, sure what would the purpose be of Banagher V Newbridge play off if otherwise

Change Joe toe to Joe know  8)

the half-time show

Quote from: JoG2 on October 14, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Maybe not, as he's wrong. Senior Championship next year will be the same teams as this year with the exception of Claudy being replaced by Banagher. From 2020 onwards it will be Division 1A teams along with top 3 from Division 1B and Intermediate Championship winners from the previous year.

screenexile

Is it still the case you can still enter the Senior Championship if you want to??

Josey Wales

Quote from: the half-time show on October 14, 2018, 01:46:09 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 14, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Maybe not, as he's wrong. Senior Championship next year will be the same teams as this year with the exception of Claudy being replaced by Banagher. From 2020 onwards it will be Division 1A teams along with top 3 from Division 1B and Intermediate Championship winners from the previous year.

So how many get promoted/relegated from 2019 leagues?  Seem strange that a team relegated from 1A in 2020 wont be able to play in Senior Championship but 4 top teams in 1B will.  Though they can still take the option that Glenullin took and play in Championship they shouldn't have been in.

Link

Quote from: Josey Wales on October 15, 2018, 09:20:29 AM
So how many get promoted/relegated from 2019 leagues?  Seem strange that a team relegated from 1A in 2020 wont be able to play in Senior Championship but 4 top teams in 1B will.  Though they can still take the option that Glenullin took and play in Championship they shouldn't have been in.

That's incorrect.

New championship will be 12 x 1A teams + Top 3 1B teams + intermediate champions

or 12 x 1A teams + top 4 1B teams if intermediate champions finish in top 3.