Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

SamFever, Davidson has become a considerable asset to Down both from open play and frees. He is plainly a late developer because he did not make his county debut at any level until the age of 27 and has played less than 50 club games in his adult career. If you do not like that description, by all means offer an alternative.

Smurfy's team for Fermanagh is a strong one but it must be unlikely that Jerome Johnstone will be straight in from the start after a three month injury and Poland is also short on match practice. McKernan turned out for St Mary's last night, and will presumably be involved somewhere but has never looked particularly comfortable at midfield for us, and Turley is the main option there. It would be a surprise if O'Hanlon and Murphy do not make the cut and there is a case for moving McArdle to mark the main Fermanagh threat, Corrigan.

whitegoodman

I think Jerome is back training should be at least able to make the bench for the Fermanagh game.  Id go with

Cunningham
McAleenan
G McGovern
O Hanlon
O Hagan
Turley
McArdle
McKernan
Flynn
C McGovern
Devlin
R Johnston
Davidson
Madine
O Hagan

Leaving Jerome, O Hare and Mooney as potential impact players from the bench.  Looks a stronger team than what was out last year but midfield still looks a weak link.

Mourne Rover

Madine seems to have impressed for UU during the McKenna Cup WGM - is he going to be invited back to the county squad for the league ?

Smurfy123

Looks a strong team whitegoodman
Also with great options coming off the bench
Burns has played Connal McGovern at 6 dropping back so I can't see him moving him from that position.
Great options this year so hopefully they can produce the goods

whitegoodman

I thought I heard somewhere that Madine is back in the squad but I could be wrong.  Would be stupid not to include him given his physical presence and form if he is committed to seeing out the season.

You are probably right on McGovern but he isn't a CHB and a natural half forward imo.  There are definitely more options in the forward line but there are serious problems in midfield still, part of the reason why I would have tall players who can field well at wing forward.

Johnny McCumiskey

Good luck To Mayobridge under 21 on Saturday , Brendan Grant has done a good job with this group of players

Smurfy123

Anyone going to the Down Rising tonight?
Should be a great night

Rodders88

Joe Murphy will be starting the Fermangh game if fit, played all 3 games in the Mckenna so doubt Burns will drop him for the 1st league game.

Doubt Poland will be much of starter this year, can maybe see him coming off the bench but I'd say hes probably there for his experience and to help bring the younger fellas on. Alan Davidson will be Down's main scoring threat this year, fittest man on the panel, always wants the ball and will be the main free taker. His free taking so far has be excellent, Davidson taking the frees for the left, PD taking the frees from the right.

In my opinion I don't think Donal O'Hare will be getting much game time this year,  apart from his free taking, doesn't really give us much more than other players in that forward line. Would have Jerome starting ahead of him every day of the week.

pointman2

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 19, 2017, 01:28:47 PM
I think Jerome is back training should be at least able to make the bench for the Fermanagh game.  Id go with

Cunningham
McAleenan
G McGovern
O Hanlon
O Hagan
Turley
McArdle
McKernan
Flynn
C McGovern
Devlin
R Johnston
Davidson
Madine
O Hagan

Leaving Jerome, O Hare and Mooney as potential impact players from the bench.  Looks a stronger team than what was out last year but midfield still looks a weak link.

I think A Carr, Mooney and Joe Murphy will all start - probably in place of Madine, McAleenan and Devlin (but not in those positions)

Smurfy123

It was a bit of a damp squib in the canal court last night at the raising
All the same faces as before were rolled out
Nothing new from previous launches
It was as if school children set it up
A very poor crowd in attendance

snoopdog

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 21, 2017, 07:54:41 AM
It was a bit of a damp squib in the canal court last night at the raising
All the same faces as before were rolled out
Nothing new from previous launches
It was as if school children set it up
A very poor crowd in attendance
Is this the 3rd time they've rolled this out now. I  subscribed for a while but pulled it as it was a waste of my money. I didn't see any progress. Half arsed as usual bt Down.

oileain blues

I was part of the original Club Down, paid my dues over 3 years got a dinner in slieve , wasn't concerned until I seen past players taking advantage , they paid for nothing , weren't members and wanted everything,I know of one member who raised 70k and was treated with contempt, doesn't surprise me there was a poor turn out .

Smurfy123

Oilean what do you mean past players taking advantage?In what respect?
Club down was flying 3 years ago when that man McGreevy was chairman?Well I think it was club down I could be wrong

The Raven

Forget this Club Down/ Mourne Academy nonsense until we stop paying out £120K a year

SamFever

Quote from: The Raven on January 22, 2017, 12:39:15 AM
Forget this Club Down/ Mourne Academy nonsense until we stop paying out £120K a year
That's exactly why we need CD to work .Too much wine on board there Raven.