Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downer

All in all an ok start to the new championship format!

Kilcoo remain the team to beat with The mighty Burren starting to get there wheels in motion following there defeat of castlewellan in the league and there comfortable opener in sfc. Peter McGraths beyansford making serious noises also!!.

Here's hoping next weeks round of sfc games up it's it a notch or two!

Down Follower

No big surprises from the first round of the senior championship.  Savals draw with Warrenpoint probably the only one that raised an eyebrow although Kilcoo getting 2 men sent off is worth a mention, and Annaclones hammering by Castlewellan.

Burren, Castlewellan and Bryansford look the pick of teams at the moment but its very early yet to give judgement.

Football by and large wasnt of a great standard but championship football brings teams on no end and by the 3rd round i would be expecting teams to be flying.

Mourne Rover

Collingwood have reported that Martin Clarke will not play again this year after surgery on an ankle ligament injury. However, a club official said he expected Clarke would be fully recovered for pre-season training in 2014.

Clarke has been playing for the reserves over recent months but presumably has a full year left on his contract. By this time next year, he may have to decide whether to stay on at Collingwood, which would be unlikely unless he is back in the first team, look for a new club or come back to Ireland.

He will not be 26 until November, so we can only hope that we might see him again in a Down jersey at some stage. His ability to pick out a long pass would be crucial against a blanket defence, but we have never replaced him as a free taker either. From memory, we have just gone through an entire league and championship season without converting a single 45.

Caolan Mooney, after a couple of first team appearances early in the season, is also in the reserves at Collingwood, but, according to the club website, he is approaching the end of an initial twofer contract. While he is still young, at 20, he does not yet seem to have made the progress which Clarke did at the same age.

He deserves every opportunity to make a career in professional sport, but he is reaching a stage when many other young Irish players have decided that a return home from Australia is their best option. If he became available, Mooney's pace and strength would give us a huge boost for what is going to be a tough division two campaign in February.

orangeman

It won't be long till Clarke and Mooney are back.

They'll be a big boost to Down next year.

southdown

But what would they come home to in terms of work? Do any of them hold qualifications or have a trade? I  know Clarke talked about teaching before.  It may make more economic sense for them to earn good money from Collingwood or another club while they can.

lucan

be realistic. what would take them home?

Mourne Rover

If they have decent contracts on the table, they would be very likely to stay with the best wishes of all Down supporters. However, if the offers are disappointing, there must be a prospect that someone with Clarke's experience could take on an enhanced full-time coaching role at home. Mooney is barely out of his teens and would be an attractive prospect for any of the third level colleges with Sigerson aspirations. We are entitled to hope that at least one of them could be back within two years.

supersub

Quote from: orangeman on August 12, 2013, 03:16:18 PM

No chance

PAULD123

Quote from: orangeman on August 12, 2013, 03:16:18 PM

Marty has a full year left on his contract. Mooney has had a couple of first-team appearances and scored a goal this season. He has not broken through like Marty did but he is consistently on of their bet in the reserves.

Even if things go against them I would not expect to see them home until send of next season. So perhaps season 2015 or even 2016. If so then they would still be great additions to the team as they would be in their prime.

As for what they would do - Marty would be coaching initially but he had always talked about teaching and would be accepted into St Mary's. Mooney completed his A-levels before leaving and would come home to take up a place at university.

But like I say I reckon - No chance for next year, quite unlikely the year after, and only possibly for the year after that.

Line Ball

Taken from Down Facebook page

The following are the arrangements for this weeks Down GAA Football Development Squads:

Wednesday 14th August 2013:
Down U17 Footballers - Indoor Session @ Abbey CBS Newry at 10am sharp.

All players are asked to attend. Any player who is unavailable is asked to inform the squad coaches immediately.

Saturday 17th August 2013:
Down u15 Footballers will travel to Portlaoise where they will compete in the National u15 Football Blitzes.

They will be in a group with Louth, Laois, Wicklow and Limerick. The games will commence at 11am.

Bus Times as follows:
7am Ivanhoe Hotel Carryduff
7.20am Brennans Shop Loughinisland
7.30am Upper Sq Castlewellan,
7.40am Kilcoo Shop,
7.50am Hilltown Square,
8.00am Mayobridge Bus Stop,
8.15am Brass Monkey

All players are asked to attend. Any player who is unavailable is asked to inform the squad coaches immediately.
All players must wear Down Training tops and Bottoms and bring their Shorts and Socks. All players are asked to bring a packed lunch.

Down u16 Footballers will travel to Darver, Co. Louth where they will compete in the National u16 Football Blitzes.

They will be in a group with Louth, Armagh, Carlow, Wicklow, Westmeath and Wexford. The Games will commence at 11am.

Bus Times as follows:
7.50am Ivanhoe Hotel Carryduff
8.20am Brennans Shop Loughinisland
8.30am Upper Sq Castlewellan
8.40am Kilcoo Shop,
8.50am Hilltown Square,
9.00am Mayobridge Bus Stop,
9.15am Brass Monkey

All players must wear Down Training tops and Bottoms and bring their Shorts and Socks. All players are asked to bring a packed lunch

Obviously someone from the County Board reads these pages as suddenly this week for the development squads there is a bus going from the Ivanhoe when previously lads had to make their way from Castlewellan!

This is a step in the right direction but a major issue is that some lads are getting on a bus in Carryduff at 7am, travelling to Portlaoise to represent Down in the National U.15 Blitz and not home to god knows what time.  What do they get to eat - BRING A PACKED LUNCH!!!!  Are you for real.  I would need some bloody packed lunch if I was going to Portlaoise for the day, never mind play a few games of football as well.  These Development Squads are centrally funded I believe with Down being given a certain amount to spend on our teams as they like.  How hard would it be for them to spend a few pound on a bite to eat, after all the thousands that are being spent on the Senior Team per week during the year isn't being used now so could they not have some of this?

The Raven

Quote from: Line Ball on August 14, 2013, 08:16:54 PM
Taken from Down Facebook page

The following are the arrangements for this weeks Down GAA Football Development Squads:

Wednesday 14th August 2013:
Down U17 Footballers - Indoor Session @ Abbey CBS Newry at 10am sharp.

Down u15 Footballers will travel to Portlaoise where they will compete in the National u15 Football Blitzes.

They will be in a group with Louth, Laois, Wicklow and Limerick. The games will commence at 11am.

Bus Times as follows:
7am Ivanhoe Hotel Carryduff
7.20am Brennans Shop Loughinisland
7.30am Upper Sq Castlewellan,
7.40am Kilcoo Shop,
7.50am Hilltown Square,
8.00am Mayobridge Bus Stop,
8.15am Brass Monkey

All players must wear Down Training tops and Bottoms and bring their Shorts and Socks. All players are asked to bring a packed lunch.

Down u16 Footballers will travel to Darver, Co. Louth where they will compete in the National u16 Football Blitzes.

They will be in a group with Louth, Armagh, Carlow, Wicklow, Westmeath and Wexford. The Games will commence at 11am.

Bus Times as follows:
7.50am Ivanhoe Hotel Carryduff
8.20am Brennans Shop Loughinisland
8.30am Upper Sq Castlewellan
8.40am Kilcoo Shop,
8.50am Hilltown Square,
9.00am Mayobridge Bus Stop,
9.15am Brass Monkey

All players must wear Down Training tops and Bottoms and bring their Shorts and Socks. All players are asked to bring a packed lunch

Obviously someone from the County Board reads these pages as suddenly this week for the development squads there is a bus going from the Ivanhoe when previously lads had to make their way from Castlewellan!

This is a step in the right direction but a major issue is that some lads are getting on a bus in Carryduff at 7am, travelling to Portlaoise to represent Down in the National U.15 Blitz and not home to god knows what time.  What do they get to eat - BRING A PACKED LUNCH!!!!  Are you for real.  I would need some bloody packed lunch if I was going to Portlaoise for the day, never mind play a few games of football as well.  These Development Squads are centrally funded I believe with Down being given a certain amount to spend on our teams as they like.  How hard would it be for them to spend a few pound on a bite to eat, after all the thousands that are being spent on the Senior Team per week during the year isn't being used now so could they not have some of this?

All development squads are given food after the blitz is over. Their own packed lunch is for the break midway through the day. I have been to few of these with my son over last couple of years and to be honest I think they are adequately catered for. My only gripe would be the gear, when other teams come they are fully kitted out whereas we arrive in a multi coloured range of county shirts and even god forbid soccer tops. as soon as squads are finalised they should be kitted out. Pride in the jersey!!!

Line Ball

Thats fair enough Raven and good to hear they are being 'catered' for in that respect.

I can't understand how there isn't enough gear for the Development Squads as a mate of mine was picking up the championship ticket in the county office a few weeks back and he told me the place was coming down with bags, shorts, socks, water, juice etc.  So what are they doing with all this stuff if the lads aren't getting it.?  There is nothing worse than turning up for a match in a mish/mash of gear when your opponents look immaculate.  Even worse at a blitz like this when numerous county teams will be there as well.

lucan

drumgath 2--14 ballymartin 0--8

Leo

Quote from: Line Ball on August 15, 2013, 04:38:01 PM
Thats fair enough Raven and good to hear they are being 'catered' for in that respect.

I can't understand how there isn't enough gear for the Development Squads as a mate of mine was picking up the championship ticket in the county office a few weeks back and he told me the place was coming down with bags, shorts, socks, water, juice etc.  So what are they doing with all this stuff if the lads aren't getting it.?  There is nothing worse than turning up for a match in a mish/mash of gear when your opponents look immaculate.  Even worse at a blitz like this when numerous county teams will be there as well.

There was talk of Club Down wanting to help kit out the development squads. What happened to that?
Fierce tame altogether

The Raven

Quote from: Leo on August 15, 2013, 11:13:35 PM
Quote from: Line Ball on August 15, 2013, 04:38:01 PM

There was talk of Club Down wanting to help kit out the development squads. What happened to that?

Club Down seem to have disappeared without trace, their website is blank. Another well intentioned initiative gone by the wayside