Mandatory covid 19 vaccination

Started by grounded, November 21, 2021, 10:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Covid 19 vaccination(s) become mandatory by law in Ireland(North and South)?

Yes
45 (50%)
No
45 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: November 24, 2021, 10:49:12 PM

grounded

Given Austria's position I thought it would be interesting to see how board members would vote here. Thanks
             A mandatory vaccination scheme is where you are required by law to get vaccinated and face punishment if you do not do so. Those refusing vaccines are likely to face administrative fines which can be converted into a prison sentence if the fine is not recovered.

Milltown Row2

Voted no, I hope people see sense and make that decision based on their OWN reasons
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

What is mandatory? If you expect to be allowed mingle with other people then you should be required to take reasonable steps to avoid infecting them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

It's certainly anti-science to mandate people who have already acquired a natural immunity to be vaccinated. Such people who have been infected,  who have developed symptoms  and fully recovered in a timely fashion, have already developed a much superior type of immunity than what the vaccination offers.  To mandate such people to be vaccinated is not only anti-science but more importantly  anti-Darwin, the beloved godperson  of the 'science of evolution'.

The vaccination method certainly has benefits, but more so  for our elders and those who are health compromised.

Milltown Row2

In the north if you can show a positive result with Covid you are exempt
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 21, 2021, 11:13:23 PM
A positive result is one thing,  a natural acquired immunity is another thing.
And the question is  about mandatory vaccine for all.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 21, 2021, 10:52:57 PM
Voted no, I hope people see sense and make that decision based on their OWN reasons

Good to see. It's important that we work this thing out together. Both sides of the argument mean well if you look hard enough at it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on November 21, 2021, 11:15:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 21, 2021, 11:13:23 PM
A positive result is one thing,  a natural acquired immunity is another thing.
And the question is  about mandatory vaccine for all.

I voted no to this poll, you do what your intelligence tells you to do.

grounded

Quote from: armaghniac on November 21, 2021, 11:08:51 PM
What is mandatory? If you expect to be allowed mingle with other people then you should be required to take reasonable steps to avoid infecting them.
Sorry i should have explained this better. It is based on the Austrian proposal.
      A mandatory vaccination scheme is where you are required by law to get vaccinated and face punishment if you do not do so. Those refusing vaccines are likely to face administrative fines which can be converted into a prison sentence if the fine is not recovered.

Orior

Who remembers when a number of parents started a campaign to stop the MMR jab? The result was of course a spike in mumps and measles. It took the spike for the idiots to see sense. Idiots.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Austria has a lower percentage of vaccinated than Ireland. They are on a very shaky scraw.

The problem is the transmissibility of Delta. The R number is estimated at 1.2 to 1.3 in Irekand. A cut in social interactions of 30% is required.

I don't think a vaccine mandate will be required in Ireland if we can get the R number down.

However if the choice was between a vaccine mandate and a lockdown I would choose a vaccine mandate.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

To be perfectly honest I think anyone pushing for a vaccine mandate is worse than any of the anti everything loons. In fact vaccine passports and mandates are exactly what the loons and plenty of sensible people predicted at the start of the vaccine rollout. You are making the loons argument for them.

It should be absolutely no one elses business who is vaccinated or not. If you are happy to take the vaccine by all means take it, it seems to be very effective at reducing symptoms at least and keeping you out of hospital, I've had both jabs and would encourage anyone to get jabbed. None of my business however who does or doesn't get it, totally personal choice and should have no consequences whatsoever if you chose not to be vaccinated.

Get your vaccine, get your booster if you want and if you're still worried about covid stay at home.

Itchy

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 22, 2021, 09:18:35 AM
To be perfectly honest I think anyone pushing for a vaccine mandate is worse than any of the anti everything loons. In fact vaccine passports and mandates are exactly what the loons and plenty of sensible people predicted at the start of the vaccine rollout. You are making the loons argument for them.

It should be absolutely no one elses business who is vaccinated or not. If you are happy to take the vaccine by all means take it, it seems to be very effective at reducing symptoms at least and keeping you out of hospital, I've had both jabs and would encourage anyone to get jabbed. None of my business however who does or doesn't get it, totally personal choice and should have no consequences whatsoever if you chose not to be vaccinated.

Get your vaccine, get your booster if you want and if you're still worried about covid stay at home.

That is simply not true, if a large minority of peoples refusal to get vaccinated is having a detrimental effect on society - leading to death, over run health care centres etc then it is absolutely the concern of government and society. I dont think anyone should be forcefully taken and injected but I do believe you should be made to feel uncomfortable and be refused access to bars, restaurants and places of work. There is ZERO evidence of harm from the vaccines and Karen on Facebook cannot be allowed hold the country to ransom.

seafoid

We really need to understand where infections are happening. Given the high levels of vaccination this is likely to be more fruiful than going after the unvaccinated. But if necessary, locking down the unvaccinated would be easier to organise . 8)
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lenny

I respectfully disagree. If I'm going to a restaurant or to a concert I'd like to know that the people sitting around me have been fully vaccinated or at the least have properly done a test to prove they haven't got Covid. I'd consider it my business to know that. If I'm working in an office or inside environment I'd like to know the people sitting in the same office all day have taken all precautions ie they've been vaccinated. That is absolutely my business because I'm in the business of trying to keep myself healthy.