Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Yeah Kerry had some beasts of men in defense plus a couple of handy forwards who when given space look to be able to punish you.

Good result yesterday. It is especially pleasing to show the character to grind a result like that out in the closing stages. This will hopefully build some confidence for some of the younger boys. McNaughton looks to be coming into his own now too which is great to see.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 04, 2019, 09:07:58 AM
Yeah Kerry had some beasts of men in defense plus a couple of handy forwards who when given space look to be able to punish you.

Good result yesterday. It is especially pleasing to show the character to grind a result like that out in the closing stages. This will hopefully build some confidence for some of the younger boys. McNaughton looks to be coming into his own now too which is great to see.

his scoring rate since hes been taking the frees has been unreal. a superb talent and one that can lead us forward this year.
hurl like f**k boi!

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/brexit-a-very-real-concern-as-cushendall-eye-an-all-ireland-final-1.3784650

Brexit a 'very real concern' as Cushendall eye an All-Ireland final
Antrim club and Neil McManus focusing on task at hand against St Thomas

Seán Moran

Neil McManus in action for Antrim during the Joe McDonagh/Christy Ring Cup relegation/promotion play-off last summer. Photograph: Ryan Byrne/Inpho
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email AppShare to LinkedInShare to PinterestShare to RedditShare to WhatsApp

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email AppShare to LinkedInShare to PinterestShare to RedditShare to WhatsApp

Neil McManus is preparing for a fifth AIB All-Ireland club semi-final. Just one has been successful but, encouragingly, that was against Galway club Sarsfields three years ago.
This Saturday in Dublin's Parnell Park Cushendall face the current western champions, St Thomas's, hoping to reach another final and enjoy it a bit more than the 2016 defeat by Limerick's Na Piarsaigh.
There's more than St Patrick's Day on the horizon in March, though. Later that month the UK is scheduled to withdraw from the EU and, in the current chaos over how to avoid a disorderly departure, the prospect of a no-deal Brexit is uncomfortably vivid for someone from Antrim, who travels regularly to Dublin.
"Aye," says McManus. "It's the only thing we hear about in the North, anyway. If the outcome of Brexit means a hard border then it's a huge problem. I'm in Dublin a couple of times a week.
"Are you going to be getting out and having your hurls – all the lads who are finished playing well tell you, they remember crossing the Border, bus stopped, off you get, through your kit bag, soldiers taking your hurls, throwing them away and all this carry on. We don't want to be involved in that, that's for sure."
McManus has vague childhood memories of the Border.
"I remember sitting in the car with my father driving and just sitting in queues and stuff but very little. Things have changed hugely apart from a couple of times when a police officer would stop and say, 'What are you doing?' with a hurl in your hand when I was waiting on a lift in Belfast, this type of stuff. There's very little of that going on nowadays really and certainly not in the Glens. There's more people walking about with hurls than without them.
Relatively untouched
"Certain areas in the North have moved on further than others probably to be totally honest. The Glens was relatively untouched by the Troubles. There were instances where there were fatalities and things like that but they were fewer, a huge amount fewer than in Belfast or Border areas. So I don't see a huge change for the Glens but for the people of the North, Brexit's a very, very real concern."
On Wednesday Croke Park stadium director Peter McKenna also expressed his concerns for the GAA in the event of a disorderly departure.
"I think the uncertainty of the Irish economy is the real concern and we are a subset of that. In terms of conferencing, an orderly Brexit won't have a huge issue in my view. We have operated with different VAT rates and different currencies and so on.
"An open border would be the ideal solution in many respects. Import tariffs that would come in on agricultural products would definitely have an impact and I guess we anticipated that by putting our own pitch facilities in the Naul (GAA grass farm). Other things are hard to put a finger on. It is the uncertainty that we would be concerned about."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Any thoughts on cushendall game?

I hope they win but have to say I don't think they have the forwards, without Carson especially, to make a dent at this level. Hope i'm wrong.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 07, 2019, 10:03:01 PM

I hope they win but have to say I don't think they have the forwards, without Carson especially, to make a dent at this level. Hope i'm wrong.

Pitch is going to be heavy so not fast crisp hurling with a dry ball.
Cushendall are physical and don't mind a dog fight.
Imm going to give them a chance at least.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 07, 2019, 10:56:00 PM

Cushendall have the defenders to match St Thomas's forwards, as you say it's whether they have enough up front.. this is going to be a battle. I think they are more evenly matched than the bookies believe..

Carson is a loss but the style of play will change because of it, Cushendalls best 15 could have enough to win but, should Cushendall need to spring someone from the bench to change the game then they might be in trouble. St Thomas's have been here with the same team before and got over the line and won the final, that experience is great to have, the Dall's experience is important too.

Could come down to free count, whoever gives away the least amount of frees will come through.

Can't make it as I'm doing something, first I've missed in a while for Antrim teams involved. Don't be shocked to see a draw, I was there years ago when Cushendall drew with Mullane's team! That was tough on them that day
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jesusjones

We've nothing to fear going to face St. Thomas's. Parnell Park will be a bog particularly given the weather today and that should suit us down to the ground. Whether we start with Carson or McAfee in full forward our game plan won't change. They are both hard to work with on the edge of the square and if they aren't winning clean ball they are breaking it down for those around them. It'll be a day for doing the basics well, keep it simple. Slaughtneil could and probably should have beaten Na Piarsaigh last year but for some bad mistakes when overplaying and taking too much out of the ball. Play to our strengths, we are a big strong physical team. Route 1 please and we'll be in with a shout.

johnnycool

Quote from: Jesusjones on February 08, 2019, 07:09:54 AM
We've nothing to fear going to face St. Thomas's. Parnell Park will be a bog particularly given the weather today and that should suit us down to the ground. Whether we start with Carson or McAfee in full forward our game plan won't change. They are both hard to work with on the edge of the square and if they aren't winning clean ball they are breaking it down for those around them. It'll be a day for doing the basics well, keep it simple. Slaughtneil could and probably should have beaten Na Piarsaigh last year but for some bad mistakes when overplaying and taking too much out of the ball. Play to our strengths, we are a big strong physical team. Route 1 please and we'll be in with a shout.

Best of luck Jesus, you've nothing to lose or fear from St Joseph's.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2019, 11:07:45 PM

Cushendall have the defenders to match St Thomas's forwards, as you say it's whether they have enough up front.. this is going to be a battle. I think they are more evenly matched than the bookies believe..

Carson is a loss but the style of play will change because of it, Cushendalls best 15 could have enough to win but, should Cushendall need to spring someone from the bench to change the game then they might be in trouble. St Thomas's have been here with the same team before and got over the line and won the final, that experience is great to have, the Dall's experience is important too.

Could come down to free count, whoever gives away the least amount of frees will come through.

Can't make it as I'm doing something, first I've missed in a while for Antrim teams involved. Don't be shocked to see a draw, I was there years ago when Cushendall drew with Mullane's team! That was tough on them that day

Was there that day to the Dall v le salle, do you remember "the bull" Phelans side line cut to win it.

north_antrim_hound

Good luck to the Dall, a big shift from mc Manus and you should pull it off.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 08, 2019, 09:45:29 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2019, 11:07:45 PM

Was there that day to the Dall v le salle, do you remember "the bull" Phelans side line cut to win it.

Yeah, over at the far side of the pitch from the stand! Christ what a fecking score! he was a great player for Waterford
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Antrim Coaster

Was also some block by Aaron Graffin on Mullane, just as Mullane was about to pull the trigger.

Phelan's sideline cut was something else, especially as the pressure was on him. Miss and De La Salle are out - score it to bring the match to extra time.

Is Bernard Burke playing for St Thomas'? He done some serious damage v Loughgiel in the semi final replay in Clones a few years back.

north_antrim_hound

For this one, St. Thomas' have a clean bill of health, which means they can call on their host of big-game players including Fintan Burke, James Regan, the Burke brothers (David, Eanna, Darragh, Cathal and Kenneth), the Cooney brothers (Donal, Shane and Conor) and Bernard Burke.

Source - Connaught tribune

Jeepers Creepers

Should be a cracker, good luck Cushendall. Hopefully the weather does not spoil it.

Na Glinntí Glasa

heading down to the game sat morning. honestly i cant see much in the game but i fancy the galway men to win by 6/7 at the end up.

i do hope am wrong though. was there last time in Navan when they beat Sarsfields so it would be nice to see them get back in another final.

good luck to them
hurl like f**k boi!