Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2019, 09:54:03 PM
I'm borderline astounded anyone though Clifford had a poor game today. He led the line brilliantly. Missed a few shots on goal, but hi, everyone does that.

You are losing it, in the opening 10 minutes of the game, he kicked two wides and skied another effort so badly it landed on the 20-metre line. He also dropped at least one short and his hand passing execution was poor. He's a marquee forward his standards are higher, 2 points from those opportunities he had today is poor play. Seanie O'Shea on the other hand, now there's a leader.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

I've just watched the game on rte player, as good a final as anyone could have expected, that it ended in a draw just dampened the aftermath somewhat. Kerry were excellent today (with room to improve) against the best football team I have ever seen, albeit they were down to 14.

tyrone08

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 01, 2019, 10:08:12 PM
I wrote a number of times on this thread that this would be a 50/50 game, much to the amusement of those who don't realise that All Ireland finals usually take on a life of their own with no reference to previous form or bookies odds. And the replay will also be a toss up.

BTW. What odds now on the Dubs doing ten in a row as predicted by some of the more demented doom merchants on this forum?

I would say very high. Dubin played 40 minutes with a player down and nearly won the the game. What are they going to do with a full 15 for 70 mins

Armagh18

Good game. David Moran and Sean O'Shea were absolutely sensational today, as were Rock and McCaffrey for the Dubs. Fair play to Kerry O'Callaghan, Mannion and Fenton would have been singled out after destroying Mayo and all 3 were fairly quiet today by their own standards.

Kerry definitely left it behind them today, played a full half with an extra man, missed at least 3-4 that on any other day would have been scored. Thought the penalty was a wee bit harsh but by the letter of the law was a penalty. Clifford was fairly poor today by his own standards but kicked 2 lovely points and won a lot of frees. That shot that dropped short late on was very poor though as were some of his wides. Disappointed in Geaney as well today, though Barry was very good as was Spillane when he came on. Tommy Walsh still a great asset to have.

Armagh18

Quote from: square_ball on September 01, 2019, 08:22:51 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 01, 2019, 07:46:35 PM
Jack Mc is the best footballer of his generation and an all time great. He's scarily good.

Agree with that. McCaffrey is the best player in Ireland imo. And he's getting better every year.
Absolutely brilliant today after a disappointing semi.

Armagh18

I'm borderline astounded anyone though Clifford had a poor game today. He led the line brilliantly. Missed a few shots on goal, but hi, everyone does that.
He did rightly other than the wides, but they were all shots a player of his quality should be putting over in his sleep.

gallsman

Des Cahill is some f**king dose.

Asks Cavanagh about key Dublin players not having the influence that might have been expected of then. Cavanagh starts explaining, using Fenton as an example. "He's only human!" gives out Des. Twat.

Rudi

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 01, 2019, 10:15:27 PM
Good game. David Moran and Sean O'Shea were absolutely sensational today, as were Rock and McCaffrey for the Dubs. Fair play to Kerry O'Callaghan, Mannion and Fenton would have been singled out after destroying Mayo and all 3 were fairly quiet today by their own standards.

Kerry definitely left it behind them today, played a full half with an extra man, missed at least 3-4 that on any other day would have been scored. Thought the penalty was a wee bit harsh but by the letter of the law was a penalty. Clifford was fairly poor today by his own standards but kicked 2 lovely points and won a lot of frees. That shot that dropped short late on was very poor though as were some of his wides. Disappointed in Geaney as well today, though Barry was very good as was Spillane when he came on. Tommy Walsh still a great asset to have.

Agree with most of this, thought the game was slightly below standard expected and the penalty and sending off were correct calls. Kerry full backline in particular were excellent today. Dublin may well win the replay however I believe their dominance is coming to an end. Cycles and all that, nothing ever lasts.

thewobbler

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 01, 2019, 10:24:18 PM
He did rightly other than the wides, but they were all shots a player of his quality should be putting over in his sleep.

I think a few of you might have impossibly high standards.

Dublin's super-experienced bemedalled masses also missed a handful of scoreable chances today. And they're not 20 year olds in their first All Ireland final getting the shite bate out of them by johnny Cooper.

beer baron

I hope he's not I'll or this could sound real bad but is it just me thinking Des is pissed?

gallsman

Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2019, 10:30:26 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on September 01, 2019, 10:24:18 PM

I think a few of you might have impossibly high standards.

Dublin's super-experienced bemedalled masses also missed a handful of scoreable chances today. And they're not 20 year olds in their first All Ireland final getting the shite bate out of them by johnny Cooper.

Who is saying they weren't? Why does ever f**king comment have to be balanced with something on the other side?!

Umpteen posts mentioning subpar performances from Mannion, Con, Fenton etc.

Rudi

Jack McCaffrey had a great game, seems like good craic and a bit of a free spirit. Even in parade before game smiling and enjoying himself.

thewobbler

But Mannion, Con and Fenton (in particular) had nowhere near the influence on the game that players of their ability can have.

As such you could have replaced them with any 3 Dublin subs without affecting the final Dublin performance (indeed, Dublin might actually have been stronger starting some of their veterans over those 3, based purely on today).

Clifford though scored a couple, won a series of frees and a penalty, had his marker sent off for persistent fouling, and proved an effective one-man outlet when Kerry has 14 behind the ball.

There's nobody on the Kerry bench would have come close to that contribution. O'Shea might have kicked brilliantly and Moran might have fielded brilliantly, but all that would have been in vain without Clifford.

But people want to focus on a couple of wides. I don't know why.

BennyCake

Gough did well. The odd soft free, but got most big calls right.

I'd say Dublin Joe will get replay, and he'll be sure to make a **** of it.

Sportacus

Wonderful game.  Kerry will be going back to the replay fully capable of finishing Dublin off.  Cluxton, McCaffrey and Rock had great games, after that Dublin were off form.  Have you ever seen MDM so quiet?  Moran and O'Shea excellent for Kerry.  Kerry's forwards I thought showed a lot of class and were creating something out of almost every attack, but they were starved at times.  I really think the replay is 50:50.