2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurtz

Very entertaining
It was like watching a Hogan Cup match

cavanmaniac

Crazy game altogether. Not much between them as usual except Ros looked a bit more composed and clinical at key times. A few standout key moments were a nonsense free against mc veety which lead to a roscommon goal, which to compound matters looked to have been thrown to the net, another charmed goal escape for Ros when the issue was very much alive and Cavan coming strong followed by a Ros goal, and then the management leaving McVeety on when injured which lead directly to a Roscommon score. Galligan fluffing his 45s too, he's clearly not reliable enough.  I wonder was there a cavan foot block went unpunished in the square in the second half too though.

No complaints about the result anyway, Roscommon slightly the better and deserving and well done to them, but from the shambles we were lead to expect in January Cavan have come a long way. Lots of fight in us. Either side look way too generous at the minute to trouble anyone majorly in the summer but August football is a legitimate target for both at least.

On we go.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 01, 2018, 03:40:47 PM
Entertaining game for one so meaningless.

That's the thing with senior inter-county. All these competitions seem to be becoming more and more meaningless! Reminds me of the way  the League Cup, FA Cup and Uefa Cup have gone in Soccer because of the Champions League. If they are meaningless should we just dump them? We've enough fixture problems with Clubs as it is?

Syferus

Haters gonna hate.

Commiserations to the Cavan lads. We tried our best to give you a bit of silverware.

Jinxy

You'd want to lock that FB line in a cage and feed them nothing but raw mate till the championship starts.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Westside

Rossies deserved the win. Lovely forward play that was miles ahead of most of what we could produce.

Good fight from our lads despite being out gunned. Galligan's kickouts were good. I thought Johnston again brought a lot to the table when he came on although he didn't cover himself in glory for the Roscommon goal.

A lot of lads there are in their first year at this level and it told. Bradley is a good footballer but was outmuscled at least 4 times and overturned. Caoimhin Reilly equally looked a bit out of his depth after a great start to the league.

The McVeety situation was maddening and absolute amateur hour from Mattie. He was very obviously unable to continue for several minutes and nobody was warmed up, he was left to try go for a ball and worsen his injury. Brutal treatment of our best player and if this causes his absence from the Donegal game management will have serious questions to answer.

Fair play to Roscommon, they'll trouble all but the very best come the summer.

Rossfan

Quote from: Rossfan on March 27, 2018, 11:17:29 AM
I'm expecting a wide open game of free flowing pure football from 2 of  football's aristocratic heritage Counties.

Wasn't far out ;D
Mad game altogether.
Score 4-16 and you'd expect to win by 10 or 12 points but to be fretting in injury time was unreal.
Then again last time we were in Croker we conceded 4 -19 so maybe we're improving!
Anyway that's 3 Finals won in 9 months, other Connacht Counties please copy.
Promotion and a National title. Mission accomplished.
The hard part begins now....

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

snoopdog

Fantastic game of football. Really enjoyable. Good luck to both in div 1. Maybe tighten up the defences a bit though for bext year.  :)

Itchy

Exciting game alright. Disappointed by the result but have to temper that with the fact that at the start of the year I'd have ripped your hand off if you'd offered me promotion but losing the league final. We were after all something like 4-1 to beat Clare in Ennis in the 1st round so its quite a turnaround for us. We at least have a team of lads who will fight for the jersey.

Now on the game I do think it was there for Cavan for the winning with 10 mins to go. We had fought back level after being 6 points down. We were winning every kickout and it just needed some calm heads to see it out. But instead we hit self destuct. Conor Madden missed 1-3 - all very scorable. Galligan missed 2 45s, one which he should be scoring. We had poor shots drop short and bad wides. They werent difficult chances either, just really bad misses.

We then had the debacle with McVitty clearly pulling a hamstring and management left him on, a ball into him resulted in a goal and probably a hamstring in shite which threatens our best player and captains appearance vrs Donegal.

Another balls up by management i thought was putting Johnson on at ctr forward at half. Roscommon did exactly the right thing when he went in there, his man drove up the field at every opportunity and forced Johnson to be operating in the full back line. A goal came off that too.

So I've given Mattie plenty of praise for astute changes this year but I think he got those two changes badly wrong yesterday. But still with 10 mins to go it was there for us to win.

On players I thought for us McVitty was outstanding, on his own in the forwards really. Where Ros has 4/5 guys that will score with any sight of the posts we were totally reliant on Dara and he delivered. What horrible luck his injury is. I though Clarke did Trojan work (again on his own in the middle) and Mackey was also excellent. The rest fought hard as they could. One player that really is disappointing me is Gearoid McKiernan. He now needs to be dropped. Simply he is hiding in these games, wants others to do the dirty work for him so he can kick easy points. He couldn't even do that yesterday. Clarke spent the day running after 2 men in midfield. I dont know where Buchanan, Thomas Galligan or David Brady are gone but for me McKiernan needs a serious kick up the hole and a place on the bench against Donegal would be a good start.

Congrats to Roscommon, a very good team that should be well able to stay in Div 1.

tippabu

Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2018, 10:44:11 AM
Exciting game alright. Disappointed by the result but have to temper that with the fact that at the start of the year I'd have ripped your hand off if you'd offered me promotion but losing the league final. We were after all something like 4-1 to beat Clare in Ennis in the 1st round so its quite a turnaround for us. We at least have a team of lads who will fight for the jersey.

Now on the game I do think it was there for Cavan for the winning with 10 mins to go. We had fought back level after being 6 points down. We were winning every kickout and it just needed some calm heads to see it out. But instead we hit self destuct. Conor Madden missed 1-3 - all very scorable. Galligan missed 2 45s, one which he should be scoring. We had poor shots drop short and bad wides. They werent difficult chances either, just really bad misses.

We then had the debacle with McVitty clearly pulling a hamstring and management left him on, a ball into him resulted in a goal and probably a hamstring in shite which threatens our best player and captains appearance vrs Donegal.

Another balls up by management i thought was putting Johnson on at ctr forward at half. Roscommon did exactly the right thing when he went in there, his man drove up the field at every opportunity and forced Johnson to be operating in the full back line. A goal came off that too.

So I've given Mattie plenty of praise for astute changes this year but I think he got those two changes badly wrong yesterday. But still with 10 mins to go it was there for us to win.

On players I thought for us McVitty was outstanding, on his own in the forwards really. Where Ros has 4/5 guys that will score with any sight of the posts we were totally reliant on Dara and he delivered. What horrible luck his injury is. I though Clarke did Trojan work (again on his own in the middle) and Mackey was also excellent. The rest fought hard as they could. One player that really is disappointing me is Gearoid McKiernan. He now needs to be dropped. Simply he is hiding in these games, wants others to do the dirty work for him so he can kick easy points. He couldn't even do that yesterday. Clarke spent the day running after 2 men in midfield. I dont know where Buchanan, Thomas Galligan or David Brady are gone but for me McKiernan needs a serious kick up the hole and a place on the bench against Donegal would be a good start.

Congrats to Roscommon, a very good team that should be well able to stay in Div 1.

ye were 5/4 to beat clare that day ;)

very enjoyable final yesterday

Itchy

Quote from: tippabu on April 02, 2018, 10:52:55 AM

Are you sure? I thought it had drifted way out on the morning of the match.

tippabu

Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2018, 11:07:54 AM

Ive a screenshot from paddy power 2 days before on page 5 of this thread, i done it for the first few rounds to see if it would get some talk going based off the odds. There may have been a drift but no chance it ever went near 4/1, youd literally need to be sending out 15 supporters who traveled down to have that big of a drift!!

mrdeeds

Good synopsis Itchy. Gearoid really is someone that doesn't turn up in big games. Contributed very little. Too many of our players had off days shooting wise such as Mackey. Also defence far too open and left seriou pressure on Faulkner, Brady etc. Too many of our backs actually play as forwards for clubs so it's round pegs for square holes. Enda Flanagan caught wrong side for a goal but he's a forward so instinct not there. Johnson defending for another goal. Thought Bradley started well before fading after his man got to grips with him. Ado caused a lot of trouble in second half. The McVeety situation was so amateurish. Ciaran Brady at one stage roared at the sideline for them to get him off. Actually an enjoyable game and was two teams who had ultimately got promotion deciding to let the shackles off.

Westside

Gearoid to me looks disillusioned, the drive is gone out of him and he looks to be going through the motions. Hard to know what to do with him now but he seems like he needs a bit of a break from football.

Our full forward line outside of McVeety is barely Division 3 standard. We need Niall McDermott, Argue, Jack Brady, James McEnroe and Givney back if we have any realistic hopes of surviving next year.

We haven't played well in the last few games. We've picked up a few results but there's very little to be seen by way of progression. Unless we see some by the end of the summer, Mattie should go.

Itchy

Quote from: tippabu on April 02, 2018, 11:20:35 AM
Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2018, 11:07:54 AM

Ive a screenshot from paddy power 2 days before on page 5 of this thread, i done it for the first few rounds to see if it would get some talk going based off the odds. There may have been a drift but no chance it ever went near 4/1, youd literally need to be sending out 15 supporters who traveled down to have that big of a drift!!

I'm sure it drifted out a lot but fair enough maybe not that much. Before McKenna cup gane v Tyrone we were odds on favourites for that game.