Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 05:36:04 PM
Quote from: Westside on March 26, 2018, 05:33:23 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 05:22:16 PM
Quote from: Westside on March 26, 2018, 05:18:33 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 03:07:38 PM
Quote from: Westside on March 26, 2018, 12:55:56 PM
All due respect to Roscommon but the calls that this game is meaningless are bullshit. Roscommon put in one performance against a serious team last year and had their provincial title. They can do the same this year. It's a cheap title, but sure we'd love a cheap title ourselves. Cavan don't have a chance like that so beating a good Roscommon team on a big day in Croke Park with a cup up for grabs is a big game for us.

If Roscommon were facing into Donegal, Derry, Down and Tyrone to win their provincial title instead of Leitrim and Galway and the consequent positioning in the AI series I don't think they'd be brushing this off as a challenge game either.

Connacht contains three of the top seven teams in Ireland. Derry are D4, Donegal D2 and Down may well be D3 this time next week too. If Cavan can't beat those types of teams they aren't going very far no matter what province they're in, let alone the best one.

D2 league final is completely meaningless. A nice, no stakes day out. The match at the Hyde last week had a lot more on the line for both teams. This one is a challenge game.

In Connacht you go for a nice weekend away to London or New York or tip over the bridge in Carrick and tickle the bellies of the Leitrim lads and then you go all out for one day and you have your Connacht title. The law of averages gives that draw to Roscommon every few years. If Roscommon were in Ulster over the last decade they wouldn't have a sniff of a provincial title let's be honest.
It's not Roscommon's fault, I'd love to be in Connacht and get those handy runs. But don't think that Connacht title allows you to look down your nose at a Division 2 title when in reality it's barely more difficult to win one than the other (if your draw is as Roscommon got last year and this year) Don't get me wrong Roscommon are a good side but their 'achievements' boil down to beating Galway once for a title.

You're overstating the importance of last Sunday's game for Cavan. We had two games and only needed 2 points. Yesterday was truly winner takes all and they came through.

Going promoted is obviously more important but the cup at the end is important to Cavan who compete in a truly difficult provincial competition.

You're taking a challenge match way too seriously.

Don't be getting stroppy now Syf. A Connacht title is more than Cavan have, poor a prize though it is.

I know you want an emotional response, but this is like a first year trying to square up to a leaving cert student. These sorts of matches don't matter to us. Cavan have a long way to come if D2 finals get them excited.
Ros are emotionally incontinent

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: tippabu on March 26, 2018, 07:05:01 PM
Surely Down at 1/2 has to be in every single bet thats done this weekend? If tipp send out anything other than lads who havent been getting games ill be amazed and disappointed

We had nothing to play for last year and Cavan were fighting for survival and we still beat them. Wouldn't be so sure of a Down victory just because they need it.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 07:21:56 PM
Surely Down at 1/2 has to be in every single bet thats done this weekend? If tipp send out anything other than lads who havent been getting games ill be amazed and disappointed

We had nothing to play for last year and Cavan were fighting for survival and we still beat them. Wouldn't be so sure of a Down victory just because they need it.

Neither would I.

Itchy

That's because ye are amazing.

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on March 26, 2018, 07:42:16 PM

Well, we did win the toughest provincial championship..

Are you glad you get to play us at least two times in the next 12 months now?

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 07:48:51 PM

The only problem I have with playing Ros is having to read your endless posts of shite.

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on March 26, 2018, 07:57:37 PM

The only problem I have with playing Ros is having to read your endless posts of shite.

You don't mind the losing part?

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 08:11:08 PM

Losing is part if sport. Having to listen to you is not. You are an embarrassment to your fellow Roscommon posters. Your like Tony Fearon of the South.

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on March 26, 2018, 08:14:02 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 08:11:08 PM

Losing is part if sport. Having to listen to you is not. You are an embarrassment to your fellow Roscommon posters. Your like Tony Fearon of the South.

I'm glad you don't mind the losing, because I'd be getting worried for you at this stage if you did.

Rossfan

😊😀
You're lucky. Ros folk have to read his non stop drivel on stolen-sheep as well.  About 40 ridiculous posts per day.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

cavanmaniac

I am. It's getting a bit incestuous by now but it'll be nice when we finally address the ridiculous situation of a merely above-average team like ourselves always having the whip hand over us, and when it happens it will no doubt result in a radical reappraisal of Roscommon from Syferus given that they'll have lost to Cavan, a mere footballing backwater in a handy province.

Syferus

Quote from: cavanmaniac on March 27, 2018, 01:01:53 AM

I am. It's getting a bit incestuous by now but it'll be nice when we finally address the ridiculous situation of a merely above-average team like ourselves always having the whip hand over us, and when it happens it will no doubt result in a radical reappraisal of Roscommon from Syferus given that they'll have lost to Cavan, a mere footballing backwater in a handy province.

Not if it happens on Sunday. But it would be worth seeing how ye'd react to losing again all the same. Cavan's AI.

cavanmaniac

If we lose it'll be dispiriting, I'm not so interested in "winning the internet" in squabbles with strangers every day that I can't admit that, but that's more because it's part of a perplexing trend of defeats for which there is no real talent differential between the sides that accounts for it. Not because I lie awake at nights tormented by thoughts of Roscommon.

If we win, and make no bones about it, we'll want to win it, it'll be greeted equally pragmatically for what it is. A nice hoodoo-ending win against a team that are our equals or not so far ahead as results - or the breathless rhetoric of some - would have a casual observer believe.

It'll serve up some good talking points either way and it's good to see you are now very invested in this meaningless game Syf, it's good to have you on board.

Syferus

Quote from: cavanmaniac on March 27, 2018, 02:06:58 AM
If we lose it'll be dispiriting, I'm not so interested in "winning the internet" in squabbles with strangers every day that I can't admit that, but that's more because it's part of a perplexing trend of defeats for which there is no real talent differential between the sides that accounts for it. Not because I lie awake at nights tormented by thoughts of Roscommon.

If we win, and make no bones about it, we'll want to win it, it'll be greeted equally pragmatically for what it is. A nice hoodoo-ending win against a team that are our equals or not so far ahead as results - or the breathless rhetoric of some - would have a casual observer believe.

It'll serve up some good talking points either way and it's good to see you are now very invested in this meaningless game Syf, it's good to have you on board.

Mightn't even bother going. Train's out between Kildare and Heuston. Roscommon teams' second trip to Croke Park this year already so it's wearing a bit thin going up for every little game.

cavanmaniac

;D
Sure if it was in your back garden, you'd pull the curtains and simply return to your main passion instead - the ritualistic, daily sacrificing of your self-respect here on the internet. And each to their own!