Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Club boi on December 01, 2020, 07:57:34 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 01, 2020, 07:50:23 AM
One big regret on this season was that Davis didn't get a chance with the players. It sounds like he was top level that could have helped us close that fitness/conditioning gap with the Dubs. I think money would be a big factor in not keeping him. Having said that if we're going for someone internal in Tyrone Donnelly is as good as out there and I'm sure he'll do a good job - players seemed to like him previously too.

Do you think P.Donnelly is doing it for free ??

No but I think Davis was costing a lot more than Donnelly will doing it part time. He was a big name in rugby circles and by all accounts great at the role. A pity he didn't get a run at it.

Angelo

Quote from: trileacman on December 01, 2020, 07:10:55 AM
Players seemed glad of the change to Davis last season and I thought he was adding something different to the setup. For all the talk of moving on from the Harte era it's strange to see us move backward to an already tried coach.

The players also thought very highly of Peter Donnelly too though.

Donnelly in his previous role worked with pretty much all age groups though and I'm surprised we haven't tried to find a replacement for that. For what Donnelly and Davis are likely commanding working freelance we could probably replace somebody in Donnelly's previous role on a full time basis.

I don't really have much of an issue with him coming back, he seems to be highly regarded by the players and has a good rapport with them along with having a great reputation in his field. Davies was basically just an S&C guy who designed and monitored the players plans whereas Donnelly when he was in the management team before took a much more active role in the coaching of the side. You'd regularly hear him and see him on the sideline barking out the orders.

It's a fairly inexperienced management duo so no problem surrounding themselves with guys like Donnelly
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

God14

Donnelly obviously a very hands on guy, with a s&c brief

Dooher you'd imagine will be hands on

What specific role would the likes of collie Holmes, and Joe mc mahon have? Genuine question, they are serious operators Im just struggling to understand the roles and responsibilities of each man, in what will likely end up in being quite a large management team

Take_her_back_ref

Quote from: Angelo on December 01, 2020, 10:24:59 AM
Players seemed glad of the change to Davis last season and I thought he was adding something different to the setup. For all the talk of moving on from the Harte era it's strange to see us move backward to an already tried coach.

Donnelly in his previous role worked with pretty much all age groups though and I'm surprised we haven't tried to find a replacement for that. For what Donnelly and Davis are likely commanding working freelance we could probably replace somebody in Donnelly's previous role on a full time basis.

I don't really have much of an issue with him coming back, he seems to be highly regarded by the players and has a good rapport with them along with having a great reputation in his field. Davies was basically just an S&C guy who designed and monitored the players plans whereas Donnelly when he was in the management team before took a much more active role in the coaching of the side. You'd regularly hear him and see him on the sideline barking out the orders.

It's a fairly inexperienced management duo so no problem surrounding themselves with guys like Donnelly

I'd agree with Donnelly being well regarded by the players. He's worked at a decent level in sport. Though from speaking to a few of the current players, they were taken aback at Davis' attention to detail and knowledge he brought to the setup. Apparently it was another level.

Sometimes you think what you have is great until someone else comes along. Hopefully the players are happy to see Donnelly return again.

BennyHarp

Maybe this is why Harte was happy to let him go?
That was never a square ball!!

square_ball

There's a lot of voices trying to make themselves heard next year between Logan, Dooher, Holmes, McMahon and Donnelly. Be interesting to see what the roles are for each. Maybe Donnelly will be there specifically for S&C work only.

Angelo

Quote from: Take_her_back_ref on December 01, 2020, 11:16:31 AM

I'd agree with Donnelly being well regarded by the players. He's worked at a decent level in sport. Though from speaking to a few of the current players, they were taken aback at Davis' attention to detail and knowledge he brought to the setup. Apparently it was another level.

Sometimes you think what you have is great until someone else comes along. Hopefully the players are happy to see Donnelly return again.

Possibly so but I didn't really see any impact in the players this year with regard their conditioning etc.

Now that is likely to do with a broken season and the fact that it might take years to get that through but we'll never know now.

Have we any confirmation of the season programme now between club and county?

Could be a lot of waiting time for these lads to get on with the job now but it might be no harm for them to get a good look at players doing well for their clubs.

delgany

Quote from: square_ball on December 01, 2020, 11:36:38 AM
There's a lot of voices trying to make themselves heard next year between Logan, Dooher, Holmes, McMahon and Donnelly. Be interesting to see what the roles are for each. Maybe Donnelly will be there specifically for S&C work only.

The Dubs have about 15 in their backroom 'team'',!

sam03/05

Pretty much every Inter county team would have 2/3 coaches involved
This set up no different

Snapchap

Quote from: GlenMan on December 01, 2020, 09:00:55 AM
Quote from: the_daddy on December 01, 2020, 08:55:38 AM
Quote from: GlenMan on December 01, 2020, 08:47:43 AM
Money was obviously the big factor.

Jonny Davis was on close to £10,000 a month. That's just not sustainable.

I'm calling bullshit on that, that's not plausible.

He was around £500 a session from a reliable source. 4 sessions per week - 3 training and 1 game.

Obviously that's when the season was underway - January, February, March, October, November.

You won't have to scroll back too many pages here too see how regularly people post news that they "heard from very reliable sources" and which subsequently transpire to be absolute bull.

If you actually believe he was getting £500 per session, you'd want to be re-evaluating the honesty of your sources.

Angelo

If we could afford to pay Davis that for 20 hours work a month. I think we could have afforded to keep Peter Donnelly there on a full time basis.

No way were the Tyrone County Board paying that kind of money out.

GlenMan

Quote from: Angelo on December 02, 2020, 02:33:59 PM
If we could afford to pay Davis that for 20 hours work a month. I think we could have afforded to keep Peter Donnelly there on a full time basis.

They were.

And Donnelly didn't leave because of money. It was obvious the problem was with Mickey.

Taylor

Almost £10,000 a month?

Seriously who believes this bullshit.

How many months of the year was he working for us?

There is boys in similar roles in professional clubs across the water getting that

square_ball

He was appointed in October so say he started in November and in a normal season lasting 10 months up until August he'd have been charging £100k? I'd be sceptical enough about them figures.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: GlenMan on December 02, 2020, 03:03:48 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 02, 2020, 02:33:59 PM

They were.

And Donnelly didn't leave because of money. It was obvious the problem was with Mickey.

Thats exactly why he left and its exactly why he's back. Now he can work full and part time.