Bob Dylan gets Nobel Prize for Literature

Started by easytiger95, October 13, 2016, 01:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: whitey on October 19, 2016, 10:51:12 AM
I was at a conference years ago and Rubin Carter....the Hurricane....was the motivational speaker.

One of the lads I worked with was from New Jersey and his wife's Uncle has worked on the case

He claimed that they had all types of evidence that never made it to trial and that the Hurricane was actually as guilty as sin and possibly even implicated in other murders-lol

I heard the opposite, though didn't lol

whitey

Good for you....give yourself a pat on the back

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/04/spare_us_the_lies_about_the_late_hurricane_carter_mulshine.html

2 sides to every story and the truth somewhere in between

muppet

Quote from: whitey on October 19, 2016, 12:13:44 PM
Good for you....give yourself a pat on the back

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/04/spare_us_the_lies_about_the_late_hurricane_carter_mulshine.html

2 sides to every story and the truth somewhere in between

That journalist is typical of the US these days. He may have a point but he royally f*cks it up with his rhetoric and naked agenda disguised as argument.

Look at this pontification on journalistic attribution only a few lines from commuting the evil act himself:

The articles below appeared in the Star-Ledger in 2000, when that dreadful movie "The Hurricane" came out. Even Carter's defenders admit that movie was one big lie. But many of the obituary writers accepted it as true and repeated the scenes as fact, without giving the attribution that journalists are supposed to provide.

"His rage was just bad timing on my mother's part; it could have been me. But his thing was always mugging women anyway." - Michael Kelley on Carter
Much of the rest came from self-aggrandizing books Carter wrote. That includes that story about how he saved a prison guard in a riot. I spoke to a prisoner who was jailed with him at the time and he said there was no such incident....'

Now I've looked, and I can't see the 'attribution that journalists are supposed to provide' for his claim. Maybe it is there somewhere but I can't find it and we are left to take his word for it.

Even his first line is a non sequitur. Although it is a clever one.

...When Rubin "Hurricane" Carter died the other day, the newspapers were filled with articles praising him as some sort of a civil-rights activist who was jailed for a crime he didn't commit.

Nonsense. These guys needed to do their research before parroting untruths.

For one thing, Carter did not do any civil-rights advocacy of any type before he was convicted of murder....

Saying someone was a civil-rights activist and saying they were jailed for a crime they did not commit, is not the same thing as saying that the person jailed, had done 'civil rights advocacy of any type before he was convicted of murder'. Like I said clever, but completely misleading.

This apparently is abased on another similar rant (linked this time) claiming that Carter had said he was a friend of Malcolm X. This claim was debunked was Malcolm X's daughter, or rather she said she had 'no knowledge of the friendship'. This is the only evidence provided for this claim in the opening line.

For example Gerry Conlon was a civil-rights activist and was jailed for a crime he did not commit. But starting an article ranting against him, by arguing that he wasn't a civil rights campaigner before he was jailed, would very obviously betray the intentions of the author in the eyes of any reasonable reader.

Further on the Conlon analogy, he suffered from depression and addiction upon release, suffered two nervous breakdowns and attempted suicide. He died aged 60. Prison will do that to a man, not that the author of the above article gives a crap.

Whitey, where do you find this stuff?

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Here is an obituary positive towards Carter and yet it is nothing like what that author is ranting about. It lists his early troubles with the law etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10778176/Rubin-The-Hurricane-Carter-obituary.html

I suppose if you make up your mind very early, you will find what you are looking for.
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2016, 01:25:39 PM
Here is an obituary positive towards Carter and yet it is nothing like what that author is ranting about. It lists his early troubles with the law etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10778176/Rubin-The-Hurricane-Carter-obituary.html
I suppose if you make up your mind very early, you will find what you are looking for.

No....I just know not to believe everything I read in the Main Stream media is true or factual .

The guy who told me about it would have absolutely no reason to make it up

I was rushing to a meeting and that was the first article I found....I'm sure there's others that address his legacy in a more balanced manner.

Ask any of your Garda buddies about things that are on Pulse that never come out in court...happens the world iver

muppet

Quote from: whitey on October 19, 2016, 03:31:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2016, 01:25:39 PM

No....I just know not to believe everything I read in the Main Stream media is true or factual .

The guy who told me about it would have absolutely no reason to make it up

I was rushing to a meeting and that was the first article I found....I'm sure there's others that address his legacy in a more balanced manner.

Ask any of your Garda buddies about things that are on Pulse that never come out in court...happens the world iver

I'm not disagreeing with any of that.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: The Iceman on October 18, 2016, 04:21:19 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on October 13, 2016, 02:58:39 PM
:o  Should be in the WTF thread!

Bizarre, tho I'm no literature buff I would find it hard to believe that there are no more deserving writers out there than a chap who wrote a few good pop songs.

I get the impression that the Peace prizes these days was going more towards the latest medias hero for politics our human rights or whatever (Obama, Malala, etc). For whatever the reason, maybe to raise its profile for funding I dont know, but looks like the literature prize is heading the same direction
I might have thought you'd be a fan given the clearly biblical undertones and foundation of most of his work?
You should read up on it...he's loved in Catholic circles

Well as I said I actually am a fan, tho not really from a religous point of view. Truth be told I would have much more interest in more recent theologians than the bible.

omaghjoe

Anyway looks like Bob doesn't want the Prize.

I think the Nobel committee are falling over themselves to give him the award and hoping to raise their own profile in the process.
Looks like Bob is on to them and having none of it

rrhf

Literature the sword of the underclass, outclassed and the classroom teacher.

Main Street

Patti Smith delivered a stunning vibrant and poignant rendition of A Hard Rain last night, resonating over the nobel prize for literature award ceremony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVXQaOhpfJU

Syferus

This whole debacle has revealed the Nobel Prize organisation to be desperate, attention-courting and irrelevant. I suppose giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize a wet day into a job was the biggest sign of that but Dylan has really put the nail in their credibility, simply by not giving a shít.

Main Street

Quote from: Syferus on December 11, 2016, 12:39:20 PM
This whole debacle has revealed the Nobel Prize organisation to be desperate, attention-courting and irrelevant. I suppose giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize a wet day into a job was the biggest sign of that but Dylan has really put the nail in their credibility, simply by not giving a shít.
Are you of a literary ilk Syferus?  some sort of a scholar well hidden under the mask of imbecility?
You have opinions on the literary merits of the nobel prize for literature? and a conspiracy theory that the Swedish academy conspires with the Norwegian academy to be attention seeking, thrown in for good measure..
;D

leenie

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 15, 2016, 08:56:13 PM
I have a wide range of musical tastes as a few lads on here would know but I'm afraid I dont get Bob..

Aye I don't get it either, watched a documentary on BBC I player about him , still don't get the fuss

Now John Denver was a great folk/lyricists
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

The Iceman

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 19, 2016, 10:27:56 AM
there is a book I always meant to read - "Tangled Up in the Bible"- which is basically a study of the biblical imagery in his work - you haven't read it Iceman, have you?
havent read it but will look for it here on amazon - cheers
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight