GAA in Britain

Started by BennyHarp, June 20, 2007, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Oh right... just spoke to one of my Yorkshire mates and indeed there is a bit of unrest among the troops about being relegated without kicking a ball. Probably the right idea to split it up though as there were some tankings handed out last year.

BennyHarp

I find it a bit strange though that a team that has never proven it can even field and has never played a match can be automatically put straight into divison one of the pennine league! This decision appears to be made on the basis of some lads leaving young irelands and arrogant boasts from the lads from newcastle! I dont think it would have done Cuchullains any harm to have played div 2 in pennine league for a year and earned their place in div 1!
That was never a square ball!!

inisceithleann

The decision was a bit harsh on Young Ireland's alright, but in fairness their lads who lived in Newcastle had to come a fair old distance to play in Leeds. It probably makes sense though, but there should have been more consultation. We'll all struggle against Mitchel's this year, but they are beatable. Only just beat us in the Senior final last year. How long is it though before Liverpool gets a second team?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

BennyHarp

QuoteWe'll all struggle against Mitchel's this year, but they are beatable. Only just beat us in the Senior final last year. How long is it though before Liverpool gets a second team?

Think your right there! Mitchells are going to be hard to beat this year, but so they should be..it was only a matter of time before the irish community in Liverpool got their act toghether and fielded a team - theres enough irish in liverpool for at least three teams!

SuperHans

I understand what you are sayin gabout the North East team but theres a lot of quality players up there and would be too strong for Div 2 as previous friendly games have proved

BennyHarp

Quote from: SuperHans on March 06, 2008, 02:01:47 PM
I understand what you are sayin gabout the North East team but theres a lot of quality players up there and would be too strong for Div 2 as previous friendly games have proved

Who have Cuchullains played in friendly games then? Don't think they've played any of the Yorkshire teams in friendlies!

Tempoman

So what if they've beaten teams in friendlies, Young Irelands played them last year up in newcastle and beat them, yet young irelands are the team put into div 2.
I dont understand how a team can be put into div 1 purely on hearsay. Yet again the county board has made a co*k up, and the season hasnt even started!

Aerlik

Sad to see the demise of St.Brendan's.  When I was there, we were the team to beat.  Mitchells have always had a team, in fact a former player, part Chinese, part Afro-Carribean was the captain of the Lancs U-21 team when we won the UK Championship in 1988.  A great player he was too.

I hope the Penning League takes off as it has been mooted for years and always spluttered to a halt in the '80s.  It would be wonderful if the Manx team works out.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

carnaross

First games in the Pennine League - March 30:

Div. 1 -
St. Peter's v Oisins (Manchester) 1.00pm
John Mitchel's v Cuchullains (Scott Hall Leeds) 1.00pm
St. Benedicts Harps v Bros. Pearse (Beeston Leeds) 1.00pm

Div. 2 -
St. Lawrence's v St. Brendan's (Manchester) 1.00pm
St. Ann's v John F. Kennedy's (Manchester)1.00pm
Young Irelands v Hugh O'Neill's (Scott Hall Leeds) 2.15pm

Predictions?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Mhic Easmuint

Full details and you your ticket online at: http://antrim.gaa.ie/saffron-sweep-2008/

Feel free to ask questions on the main thread.

carnaross

Any truth in the rumour that St. Peter's aren't fielding against Oisins on Sunday? If so, why?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

carnaross

Pennine League results March 30:
Division 1
John Mitchel's 2-12 Cuchullains 2-10
St. Benedicts Harps 2-11 Bros. Pearse 2-05
Oisins W/O St. P:eter's DNF
Division 2
Hugh O'Neill's 0-13 Young Irelands 0-07
St. Anne's beat John F. Kennedy's
St. Brendan's beat St. Lawrence's

John Mitchel's seven points down in second half and came back to win by two. Hugh O'Neill's apparently beat a weak Young Irelands handy enough. St. Benedicts came back from being eight points down early on to win easily after a powerful second half performance.

Apparently an ambulance was required during the Brendan's v Lawrence's game as a player sustained a broken leg, not sure who or which club. Hope he gets well soon. It's horrible to hear of such a bad injury.

carnaross

Results from Round 2 of the Pennine League:

Div. 1
St. Bendicts Harps 0-06 Oisins 0-06
Bros. Pearse 0-10 John Mitchel's 4-12
Cuchullains beat St. Peter's easily

Div. 2

Young Irelands, St. Ann's and St. Brendans all won.

GaelicGames.In

Pennine League (and Lancashire) Results:
http://www.gaainfo.com/results.php?co=lancashire

London GAA results:
http://www.gaainfo.com/results.php?co=london

... please send me any missing results as I'm not directly affilieated with the county boards (as yet).

carnaross

What's happened to St. Peter's in Manchester?