Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Their bench today was very strong. Might be tight but that will probably finish us of.

Duckquay

Challenge game next weekend will give some ideas as to team selection. I can see mcgleenan pulling something different out of the bag for Monaghan if his scotstown days are anything to go by.

mrdeeds

Who the challenge game versus? Surely there a risk of injury in a challeneg game. Our players will be four weeks without competitive football before Monaghan game while they've played already.

Westside

Cavan chose not to field a team in the Leinster Junior Championship against Wicklow. Anyone have any idea why? It's a good opportunity for decent club players or fringe senior players to get a run out in a Cavan jersey and you'd have to imagine we could put together a team to beat Wicklow fairly easily.

five points

Probably to do with money. With the hurling team now competing again, senior team expenses will go through the roof this year.

Itchy

Or injuries. They cant very well go cancelling club games because on an injury crisis and then go playing county fringe players in a Leinster Junior Championship.

gortnaleck

Hey Westside Are Cavan putting out a team against Monaghan at al
No word coming out
Going to head over. Any way into stand

rabbit

Will Dara McVeety be fit? Who else is injured and likely to miss the game?

Westside

A depressing day in Kingspan Breffni lads....

That U17 display is the worst display I have seen from a Cavan team in a long time. I know they're only gossons but christ. And John Brady has to take a serious dollop of blame there. I've been chatting to a couple of the lads on the Minor and U17 teams and there is no gameplan. It's show them the skills and tell them to head out and play. All well and good until you come up against a well drilled side and ship a beating like today. The minors will almost certainly fall to the same problem. It's grand saying that we will develop better players if we don't have them sticking to a strict defensive plan but there's surely a happy medium.

As for the Seniors, it was a good game. They're committed and they're game but there's a few weak links in the team and a lack of leadership when the going gets tough. If the players don't check out mentally, there's a run in the qualifiers there for them. Give the new lads on the panel a good run and see if there's one of them we can stick at no. 15 to get us a few points a game.

mrdeeds

Playing defensive with the wind was shocking game management.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on June 11, 2017, 08:35:16 PM
A depressing day in Kingspan Breffni lads....

That U17 display is the worst display I have seen from a Cavan team in a long time. I know they're only gossons but christ. And John Brady has to take a serious dollop of blame there. I've been chatting to a couple of the lads on the Minor and U17 teams and there is no gameplan. It's show them the skills and tell them to head out and play. All well and good until you come up against a well drilled side and ship a beating like today. The minors will almost certainly fall to the same problem. It's grand saying that we will develop better players if we don't have them sticking to a strict defensive plan but there's surely a happy medium.

As for the Seniors, it was a good game. They're committed and they're game but there's a few weak links in the team and a lack of leadership when the going gets tough. If the players don't check out mentally, there's a run in the qualifiers there for them. Give the new lads on the panel a good run and see if there's one of them we can stick at no. 15 to get us a few points a game.

John brady should be kept away from them kids. With the game lost and 6 mind left he put Keoghan back in despite him having come off injured earlier,. He is likely to feature on minors. He also took off a sub he'd put on with 30 seconds left. Clearly he is an idiot.

Seniors just not good enough. Johnston a passenger likewise a few others. Galligab kick outs very poor as was moybagh. Between them prob cost us 4\5 points

delgany

It is evident that Galligan is not a goalkeeper. His positional  play is that of an outfield player...which he clearly seems to be 

Westside

Yeah putting Keoghan back on seems stupid. The game was long over, it's embarrassing and disheartening for the rest of the subs. Give them a run out, the game was long gone.
I can only presume that this is a conscious decision by the County Board, the last Minor Management Team prided themselves on not playing sweepers etc too. You'll win the odd brilliant game like the Minors did against Monaghan but I think that's the exception not the rule. Counties like Donegal and Tyrone will eat you up if you don't go in with a plan to beat them. There's no point in having decent young players who can play off the cuff if they're sitting at home or shipping 20 point beatings. There's a balance between allowing lads to express themselves and being tactically prepared and we're not finding it at the moment.

Moynagh was, as usual, a mixed bag. Some brilliant play mingled with trying too hard to pull off something outstanding and having it backfire. I wouldn't be too harsh on Galligan, he made a couple of errors but made one outstanding save, hit some good kickouts when Monaghan had pushed up and put us under pressure and dealt well with a couple of high balls. He's as good a keeper as has played for Cavan seniors in a long while in my opinion.

We weren't bad today by any means but I think we were a better side in 2015 and a much better, more organised and focused outfit in 2016.

We need to come up with something to combat our weaknesses up front. Stick McVeety in there and make him into a corner forward. He's strong and he's fast and he can shoot. Give Galligan and Caoimhin Reilly a go in there too and see how they fare out.

Itchy

Time for Mattie to give our young forwards a chance now in back door. I'd let madden back in and give him a fair chance. He's been treated poorly this year and I hope he sticks with it and shows people what he can do. Get Connolly and o reilly from the bridge on earlier. Give Buchanan a right shot at midfield too.

Galligan ( just about)
Fergal reilly
Clarke
Murray
Gerry smith
Faulkner
McEnroe
Buchanan
Mckiernan
Connolly
Mackey
Martin reilly
O Reilly
Mcvitty
Madden

mrdeeds

McLoughlin and McVeety in. Murray and Madden out.