Author Topic: Leinster Minor Football Championship 2017  (Read 16007 times)

blueandwhite1

• View Profile
Re: Leinster Minor Football Championship 2017
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »
Laois Minor Football manager Noel Delaney has announced his starting 15 for Saturday's Electric Ireland MFC clash with Louth at 3pm in O'Moore Park

Courtwood's Alan Kinsella captains the side.

1. Thomas McCann (Ballyroan Abbey)

2. Michael Dowling (Portlaoise)

3. Sean O'Flynn (Courtwood)

4. Daniel Comerford (The Harps)

5. Colin Slevin (Portarlington)

6. Seamus Lacey (Ballylinan)

7. Gary Saunders (Portlaoise)

8. Robert Tyrell (Camross)

9. Diarmuid Whelan (Ballyroan Abbey)

10. Alan Kinsella (Courtwood)

11. Niall Dunne (Courtwood)

12. Ronan Coffey (Portarlington)

13. Mark Barry (O'Dempsey's)

14. Ciaran Comerford (The Harps)

15. Jack Owens (Emo)

Courtwood certainly doing something right.  Well represented on teh senior team and 3 starters on the minor team.

Please excuse my ignorance "The Harps" are ??

You are obviously not from the hurling part of the county!!  Durrow / Cullohill. Currently a Senior B hurling club who were prominent in the 90s - lost a few Senior finals and got relegated last year. Have provided a few footballers to minor and U21 panels down the years but don't remember any senior inter-county footballers from those parts.

The Monument Road

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2017, 12:29:20 PM »
Laois Minor Football manager Noel Delaney has announced his starting 15 for Saturday's Electric Ireland MFC clash with Louth at 3pm in O'Moore Park

15. Jack Owens (Emo)

Courtwood certainly doing something right.  Well represented on teh senior team and 3 starters on the minor team.

One of the very first amalgamations in laois. Durrow/Cullohill area which is a hurling locality. Those two Comerfords are brothers(Twins i think) and are also on the Laois Minor hurling team. the family used to live in Kileen and the young lads once played underage hurling for st Josephs. Family moved to that area so as to give the lads a better chance of improving at hurling. I may need correction on some of that info 8)

redsetanta

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2017, 12:37:14 PM »
Have the parents got any connections over that side of the county? Fair committment from them if not to allow their sons to hurl.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

The Monument Road

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2017, 01:26:17 PM »
Have the parents got any connections over that side of the county? Fair committment from them if not to allow their sons to hurl.
Not sure but the father is a Kilkenny man and may be from around the Johnstown area which is close to Cullohill.He is a fanatical hurling man

OTF

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2017, 02:32:42 PM »

15. Jack Owens (Emo)

You are obviously not from the hurling part of the county!!  Durrow / Cullohill. Currently a Senior B hurling club who were prominent in the 90s - lost a few Senior finals and got relegated last year. Have provided a few footballers to minor and U21 panels down the years but don't remember any senior inter-county footballers from those parts.

Haven't lived in Laois for a long time, but yes of course Durrow/Cullohill I do remember now.
Robert Tyrell first Camross man to play Laois football no ???

steven seagal

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »
Tadgh Doran could have played minor as well, althought I'm not sure. He was a very good underage footballer

Don Draper

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »
Great going for The Harps to have two lads on a Laois Minor football team, even if they are twins (they are) and have football background. Ciaran is obviously a star player with the hurlers, while I believe Dan is on it too. PJ Daly from The Heath is a Clonad man and also midfield with the hurlers.

KOTS3

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »
Great going for The Harps to have two lads on a Laois Minor football team, even if they are twins (they are) and have football background. Ciaran is obviously a star player with the hurlers, while I believe Dan is on it too. PJ Daly from The Heath is a Clonad man and also midfield with the hurlers.

To be fair The Harps didn't have much to do with it, the twins would'be played their underage football with Ballylinan, they only transferred to The Harps this year. Credit where credit is due for the Ballylinan/Glenmore amalgamation for making the lads into two terrific footballers.

Don Draper

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »

To be fair The Harps didn't have much to do with it, the twins would'be played their underage football with Ballylinan, they only transferred to The Harps this year. Credit where credit is due for the Ballylinan/Glenmore amalgamation for making the lads into two terrific footballers.
Ah right, only this year. I thought they won a Minor B or something there a year or two back no?

KOTS3

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2017, 03:06:14 PM »

Ah right, only this year. I thought they won a Minor B or something there a year or two back no?

Correct my mistake. They played the Minor B with The Harps last year after they were knocked out of the minor & u17 competitions with ballylinan.

Don Draper

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2017, 03:11:01 PM »

Correct my mistake. They played the Minor B with The Harps last year after they were knocked out of the minor & u17 competitions with ballylinan.
They played with two different Clubs Minor last year?

The Monument Road

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »

They played with two different Clubs Minor last year?
I think those boys actually got a transfer to the Harps in 2015 while still living in Kileen. They probably played football that year locally ( Arles parish ) The family moved to the Harps area in early 2016 and now they play both codes with the Harps.

SCFC

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »
Good luck to the minors today. God knows, we need a boost as a GAA county.

clonadmad

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2017, 05:03:38 PM »
Beaten by 2 points after extra time

Unison

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2017, 05:31:09 PM »
More of what we have come to expect from Laois minor football teams over the last decade or so i.e. not too bad in defence and midfield but woefully insipid forward play. Coming away from these matches you realise just how spoilt we were when we had good teams that could play exciting football.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 05:34:29 PM by Unison »