Laois County Football Leagues all chat in here

Started by Unlaoised, February 18, 2016, 11:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

I see we have a restructure of the leagues and despite the county board saying they would make two senior team divisions based on who finished at Senior level in 2015 they have thrown O'Depmsey's and Timahoe in at the expense of Clonaslee and Ballyfin..

Div 1 A
Graiguecullen    
Portarlington   
The Heath
Arles/Killeen   
Stradbally      
Arles Kilcruise   
St Joseph's   
Portlaoise

Div 1 B
O'Dempseys
Crettyard   
Emo   
Ballylinan   
Mountmellick   
Ballyroan Abbey   
Timahoe   
Killeshin   

I think teams play home and away...not 100% sure....

Suppose it's taken on league positions from last year but seems a bit unfair if you are senior you don't get Senior games in the league as such..

2A
Balyfin
The Rock
Clonaslee
St Joseph's B
Portlaoise B
Annanough

2B
The Heath B
Rosenallis      
O'Dempseys B   
Park Ratheniska   
Courtwood   
Graiguecullen  B

3A
Spink   
Stradbally    B
Portarlington B
Portlaoise C
Barrowhouse   
Kilcavan   

3B
Killeshin   B
Timahoe   B
St Fintan's   
Ballylinan    B
Ballyroan Abbey B

Div 4
Ballyfin B
Mountmellick B
Kilcotton   
Emo B
Arles/Killeen B
Arles Kilcruise   B
O'Dempseys C   
The Rock B
Ballyroan Abbey B   

DIV 5
Courtwood   B
Clonaslee St Manmans   B
Barrowhouse GAA   B
Camross   
Crettyard   B
Timahoe   B
Annanough   B
Park Ratheniska B
Rosenallis    B
Camross

(Camross in twice must be a mistake could be Rathdowney Errill ??)

The new restructure looks fair enough to me I'm sure Clonaslee and Ballyfin might be a bit peeved but O'Dempseys and Timahoe finished top of Division 2 last year and Both Ballyfin and Clonaslee struggle early in the leagues because of their participation in high level Hurling being in Division 1A

14 league games is a lot for the Div one teams when you consider the Senior Hurling teams only play 7????

LAOIS ABÚ

Laoischat

Rumours about that Ballyfin will not be participating in the league....Understandable when playing in the 3rd tier and hoping to go in prepared to a senior championship

Helix

Quote from: Laoischat on February 19, 2016, 09:38:57 AM
Rumours about that Ballyfin will not be participating in the league....Understandable when playing in the 3rd tier and hoping to go in prepared to a senior championship

It hardly bodes well for them long term. They're not magically going to go up the divisional ranks on the basis that they're 'senior'. Would be better off taking the games and if they're good enough, they'll be prepared to meet senior football challenge.
I highly doubt county board would allow it anyways!
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Unlaoised

Hope the rumours about Ballyfin aren't true can't understand it ..They always struggle early in the year so 3rd tier teams would have suited
LAOIS ABÚ

Hospital Pass

Heard the same thing about Ballyfin. one of the most illogical things iv ever heard. If they pull out they will be relegated for the following year. seems like a rash decision. Your in the league your in for a reason.

Laoischat

As far as I know from talking to people in Ballyfin, they plan on arranging a number of practice matches outside the county with clubs they reckon are at a better level and in turn better prepare them for championship.

Their second team will remain in Division 4

The Monument Road

Quote from: Laoischat on February 22, 2016, 01:53:04 PM
As far as I know from talking to people in Ballyfin, they plan on arranging a number of practice matches outside the county with clubs they reckon are at a better level and in turn better prepare them for championship.

Strange idea. It would cause all kinds of problems with relegation and promotion for others. If they dont fulfill their Div 3 games they should automatically drop a division as a punishment but because they already have a team in that lower division they would be saved from the drop. What ramifications would that bring on other clubs....its boggles the mind

Unlaoised

Quote from: The Monument Road on February 22, 2016, 02:44:18 PM

Strange idea. It would cause all kinds of problems with relegation and promotion for others. If they dont fulfill their Div 3 games they should automatically drop a division as a punishment but because they already have a team in that lower division they would be saved from the drop. What ramifications would that bring on other clubs....its boggles the mind

It's strange and silly I think...Why not play the ten matches and then arrange a few friendlies as well...

I know Portlaoise done it a few years ago think 2010 ...
LAOIS ABÚ

Hospital Pass

Practice games are alright but id imagine it would be hard to drive interest from players with no set games in the pipeline. Its a pity because they have a nice young team and playing against junior A teams will hardly aid their development.
The leagues are up on the website now. Clonaslee and Ballyfin are in 2A so relegation would be down to division 2B rather than 4 id imagine.

Keyser Söze

Would I be correct in stating that technically such challenge games can only proceed with permission of the County Committee?

Portlaoise hurlers did it about 5/6 years ago and it didn't go down well at County Board level!

I am presuming this is connected to the fact that Ballyfin Gaels would not be eligible to compete in the league. They must be trying to prepare for championship with the Slieve Bloom players as opposed to trying to blend them in after the league!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Helix

Who from slieve bloom would they have that would be useful for senior football. Benconroy os the only one i can think of offhand though he's injured at moment?
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

SCFC

Quote from: Helix on February 22, 2016, 09:18:58 PM
Who from slieve bloom would they have that would be useful for senior football. Benconroy os the only one i can think of offhand though he's injured at moment?
Maybe Thomas Delaney?

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Helix on February 22, 2016, 09:18:58 PM

The group teams only apply for the SFC/SHC/SHCA, so Ben Conroy being injured right now won't matter too much.

Uisce

Struggling to get my head around this one? Ballyfin are only going to play practice matches between now and the first championship game? This is only going to end up in one place!

SpeculativeEffort

Have Ballyfin not got a similar arrangement with Mountmellick to play Senior A hurling? Their hurlers are playing in the league though I think...