The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: hurlingmad on April 14, 2017, 01:48:45 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on April 14, 2017, 12:48:27 PM
Walsh, the manager, saying it's been going on since last year and didn't want to name names but someone should be hung out over it. Parlon played last year for Laois and has obviously been training all along with the minors so he'd be entitled to be pissed off.

A certain hurry as he may or may not be known

How could it possible be his fault?
Player registrations/eligibility etc etc go well above the head of development squad coaches.
Silly comment.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Mad Mentor

Very good display by Laois u14s this morning against Wexford winning by 5 points. Good strength in depth in this squad.

clonadmad

Minors 1 point up at H/T,playing into a strong wind in the 2nd half.

clonadmad

1 point up with 8 mins to go,lost by 3

Dublin finished that bit stronger

hurlingmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on April 14, 2017, 03:45:10 PM
Walsh, the manager, saying it's been going on since last year and didn't want to name names but someone should be hung out over it. Parlon played last year for Laois and has obviously been training all along with the minors so he'd be entitled to be pissed off.

Player registrations/eligibility etc etc go well above the head of development squad coaches.
Silly comment.

I know his father well and that seems to be the case, be it a silly comment or not it seems to be the talk of the town as they say. May it be false i retract it

Keyser Söze

Quote from: hurlingmad on April 15, 2017, 09:07:28 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on April 14, 2017, 03:45:10 PM

Silly comment.

I know his father well and that seems to be the case, be it a silly comment or not it seems to be the talk of the town as they say. May it be false i retract it

I don't know the chap, I don't know where he lives etc
BUT
If I was Chairman or Secretary of a club and a "new" player suddenly became eligible to play for us, or a player from outside our catchment area turned up to play for us, I know that I would be assuming responsibility for checking out that this was all above board.
A mentor telling me that it was "all ok" wouldn't be the extent of my investigation. A very strange scenario.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Yep

If a new lad wanders into us,first thing  we do is get the club secretary to get onto the county board with his name,dob etc to see if he is ok to play with us.

I had presumed this would be a fairly simple task,but then again nothing surprises me at this stage.

I also believe there is shenanigans going on in relation to a birth certificate or lack of with an underage Abbeyleix player

redsetanta

Our minors did well yesterday and have the bonus of another game in 2 weeks time.

For a supposedly poor enough minor team they impressed meand there is certainly a few players you could see going on to be decent seniors. If a couple of the minors teams in the last few years had the workrate of this lot they may have done better. The hooking, blocking and chasing was non stop so fair play to them. I thought they matched Dublin fairly well in the skills and technique but lacked the physicality 1 to 15.

There were a couple of hefty challenges by the Dubs that went unpunished but they did eventually have a man sent off for a second yellow. Ciaran Comerford is a fine player and great to win his own ball and has the tricks.

I was impressed with them and as long as we can get a few decent hurlers to go on and compete at senior it's a good return.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

SCFC

Enda Parlon's transfer to Borris/Kilcotton went through yesterday. Presume he'll be OK for the next game?

redsetanta

That's good news.

Meath next up for the minors tomorrow week in O'Moore Park @ 3pm in the quarter final with the semi finals down for May 13th. Wexford play Offaly in the other quarter while Dublin and KK have already booked their place in the semi finals.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Tobias

Big wknd for laois hurling starting on Saturday with the minors. I have been pleasantly surprised with this group, they were very weak at u14,15 & 16 level but they seemed to be heading in the right direction. Great win against Offaly albeit Offaly are missing a good few who won't commit due to the management apparently. Then a big performance in Dublin, unfortunately they couldn't see it out. Meath will be no walkover tho as they hammered Westmeath by a cricket score. I believe Enda Parlon is available this weekend so that's a plus. Hopefully they can beat Meath and have a crack at one of the big guns. Fair play to the management team they seem to have the team fit and finely tuned. They remind me of some of the Offaly teams of old, getting the best out of themselves and not afraid to have a go. It's funny, this team were given no chance at the start of the year while last years team was supposed to be one of the best ever. Anyway best of luck to all concerned on Saturday.

Just a word on the under 21s, I'd be hoping they will do better than last years group anyway which was a disaster. Cha is gone but there are 13 guys getting good experience with the senior panel. I think  D Hartnett, R Mullaney, L Bergin, S Downey, L Cleere, E Killeen, A Dunphy, P Simms, L O Connell, A Corby, M Kavanagh, J Lennon and B Corby are all on the senior panel. S Phelan, R Phelan, J Geaney, S Dunphy, A Bergin, A Mortimer, E Cuddy would be other notable additions if available
C Phelan is injured.

redsetanta

The fact they have a proven manager over them must make a difference. They worked very hard against Dublin, more than recent minor teams. Skill levels are very good too.

G@@

"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Tobias

Personally, I think it's a waste of money. Now we have an outside manager, two high profile outside coaches Ollie Moran and Conor Gleeson and now Oisin McConville. Sure they are probably adding to the set up but at what cost? I'm pretty sure they are not doing it for nothing and according to the Offaly boys Eamonn Kelly stuck them for big money. It's great to see such a professional set up, however I'm not sure how much our senior team can be improved that much and I think we are as far off a provincial final appearance as we have been for 30 years. I've said all of this before...until we sort out a real proper nursery/underage development structure I don't think we will improve enough to start challenging for bigger honours. We need to start producing competitive development squads every year to feed into the minor teams and start challenging at minor and under 21 level before we see a notable improvement in our seniors. Sadly our Co Board have no interest in developing the game for the future.

clonadmad

I know this is a radical concept but why not do both simultaneously,Tobias