The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

I don't live in Laois at the moment and would be from the football side of the county however I try and keep updated on all things hurling.
Maybe i'm wrong but there seems to be plenty going on underage in the county and we have the Cumann na mbunscol being better organised this year and a panel being created. The Setanta programme is there for 11 to 13 year olds and you have developement squads for all age groups up to minor.

Bar the win over Dublin a few years back the U21 grade has been a disaster. The minors have been reasonably competitive although beaten by Offaly last year.

I think the county board have been very proactive with their hurling appointments this time for both senior and minor bringing in proven management teams. Cost is an issue that has to be dealt with however I would assume that the grant from Croke Park is freeing up some funds for this.

As Cheddar said you have to have a good competitive senior team for the young lads to look up to and aspire to. Members of the senior team get involved in the kids training camps which all helps in keeping these kids hurling.

From what I read, hear and see the hurling set up underage isn't that bad and appears, although I am open to correction, to be in a more healthy state that the football.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

http://www.laoisgaa.ie/contentPage/48190/what_we_do

From the Laois GAA site. Fairly comprehensive list of activities going on. How well are they being implemented?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Tobias on April 27, 2017, 03:34:48 AM
Sadly our Co Board have no interest in developing the game for the future.

That is probably quite harsh - and unfair. Have you seen the resources that are being pumped into the development squads? They get endless coaching sessions, are entered into loads of competitions, have exposure to some very strong coaches and the set-ups are like senior set ups - nutritionists, physios, hot meals, great facilities. Managers are carefully selected and work hard too. I would have been really critical of them for many years but fair is fair. A great example is this years minor team. Not viewed as being full of talent but hammered Offaly and ran Dublin very close in their back yard. Some of the coaches and selectors we bring in from stronger counties will say that our set up and commitment is as good as any.

The challenge in Laois is that it needs to be that and better if we ever want to make a breakthrough because we simply don't have the numbers. The other criticism I would have is that, with some very strong exceptions, the club coaching structures are not close enough to the development squad coaching. I know some lads who manage U-14 and U-16 teams who have little time for modern skills coaching and produce teams that don't have the basic skills.

Seemingly in Tipp and KK there are literally 100s of lads fighting it out to make the final development squads and minor panels. We have loads of interest and produce some good hurlers every year but there is a big difference between producing 1 x Cha Dwyer every 5 years or so and producing 5 every year. At least with good coaching structures there is a chance but weight of numbers means that we are fighting an up-hill battle.

G@@

I agree with alot of the sentiments here that things are finally improving, but there are other glaring issues here that I will point out:

* Many of our schools are doing sweet FA to promote hurling and dare I say, are secretly trying to discourage it.
* Alot of parents are not putting in the effort to encourage their kids to play and it's left to the few die-hard parents.
* County Board need to be designing and implementing courses that are tailor made for clubs and going into the clubs grounds to do these - there is little point in asking clubs to send in people to Portlaoise on a wet Tuesday night for an hour here and there.
* Insurance costs are rising at an alarming rate and this needs to be seriously addressed.
* Referees need to be trained better and some of them are actually a hindrance to the game, that said there needs to be better respect shown for refs. Perhaps set up a carrot-and-donkey system: Referees rate each team on the level of co-operation and respect shown for every game. Teams will get a grant at the end of the year based on their score.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

LOVEGAA

Would agree with this G@@.

There is also a problem at club level with coaches. I know its hard to get people involved but if they dont have
adequate knowledge it seems to be a waste.
at juvenile level its so important to get this right and yet you see fathers dragged in to give a hand, when in fact it would be great to see the older teams giving back something to the club (I know this is all voluntary and a big ask)

G@@

Laois 1-16 v 0-05 Meath at half time in the Leinster Minor HC.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

redsetanta

Not all that surprised at that score.

Falling asleep in the second half though. 10 minutes to go and only 6 points in it. Jaysus what is it with Laois teams that they cannot hold onto a big lead?

burdizzo

There was a really strong wind all through. Favoured Leix in the first half, and Meath in the second. Meath had a big win over Westmeath, so wouldn't be all that bad.

redsetanta

I saw a picture during the week from Laois minor training where alot of lads were in KK jerseys. I can see the merit in it but wonder will it help much.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on May 11, 2017, 10:52:10 AM
I saw a picture during the week from Laois minor training where alot of lads were in KK jerseys. I can see the merit in it but wonder will it help much.

It's a standard enough 'desensitization' method. Never saw it work before. I'll bet you KK are not wearing Laois jerseys!!

Best of luck to our boys on Saturday. Seems an honest bunch of lads with plenty of skill who have worked hard. Hope they do themselves justice.

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on May 11, 2017, 10:52:10 AM
Camross jerseys, but same thing really.

clonadmad

Maybe someone in the know could confirm this?

is the u14 grade being abolished in 2018 and a new u15 grade being brought in

Also will there be a new u13 grade brought in

Lads out of u12 will hardly be expected to play at u15 (if that level is introduced)

SCFC

Quote from: clonadmad on May 12, 2017, 01:52:53 PM

Lads out of u12 will hardly be expected to play at u15 (if that level is introduced)
Yes. It's going odd ages the whole way. Under 17, 15, 13, 11 etc.

clonadmad

Quote from: SCFC on May 12, 2017, 02:30:38 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on May 12, 2017, 01:52:53 PM

Yes. It's going odd ages the whole way. Under 17, 15, 13, 11 etc.
Thanks for that SCFC.

justinn

Proposed Changes to Underage Games Structure
2017 Grade      Structure      2018 Grade
Under 8       Go Games Nursery   Under 7
Under 10       Go Games      Under 9
Under 12      Mini Leagues      Under 11
Under 14      Competitive      Under 13
Under 16      Competitive      Under 15
Under 18 (Minor)   Competitive      Under 17
Under 21 (Football)   Competitive      Under 19
Under 21 (Hurling)   Competitive      Under 20