Laois Pride and Unity

Started by SpeculativeEffort, December 23, 2023, 09:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeculativeEffort

Recently I met a lifelong Laois supporter (now in his 80's) who asked me how we can help Laois GAA to rise again. We both agreed on investment in youth, better quality club teams amongst other things.

Then he turned to me and sadly said
'What is it with Laois? We seem to have no pride. No unity. Why is that?'

It got me thinking and overall I'd agree with him. Only for short bouts of time have I ever felt that the county felt proud. During Micko's reign and Eddie Brennans were two. Minor success 96 to 98 was another time.

Our pride feels like it is at an all time low right now.

Do you agree?

How do we change that?

Are we too club focused?

Can we turn it around?

georgedoylesrightleg

Leix sporters follow charismatix mangers n are bangwaginners. Side from Sugrue there hasnot being one since Eddie or micko. CB a wet blanket too. Hole thing is desd only to be washed. Need youth n drive. None there.

High Fielder

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on December 23, 2023, 09:22:16 PMRecently I met a lifelong Laois supporter (now in his 80's) who asked me how we can help Laois GAA to rise again. We both agreed on investment in youth, better quality club teams amongst other things.

It got me thinking and overall I'd agree with him. Only for short bouts of time have I ever felt that the county felt proud. During Micko's reign and Eddie Brennans were two. Minor success 96 to 98 was another time.

Do you agree?

How do we change that?

Are we too club focused?

Can we turn it around?

It's hard to see a way back at the moment but the starting point has to be the urban centres of Portlaoise, Portarlington and Mountmellick. Portlaoise really should be one of the biggest clubs in the country, but they'll never be anything if they're not supported; and I mean that in every definition of that word.

That is where I'd start. I'd be hoping that strong urban clubs would be the tide that rises all boats, and that amalgamated senior clubs with resources similar to Josephs would compete with them. We have too many clubs that are no addition to anything and are preventing players from progressing. They are cult like;obsessed with the idea of staying senior or getting promoted.

It has been particularly sad in recent years to see the lack of interest. I've long since thought that our league football is no more than a kickabout anyway, and it feels at times like we could tell everyone just to come back for the Championship. That mindset has to change. There are club players in neighbouring counties training away as we speak. Most of ours won't be seen until the end of January at least.

Look through the college lists. Very few Laois lads. We're down there with all the worst performing counties, and it's not by accident. Of course there's so much to it, there's no right answer, and you could write a book. There are a million factors that have brought us to this point, and at least we can say that this Keegan chap looks like he has a plan. It's a start, but so much needs to change and coincide with that plan

marty34

Quote from: High Fielder on December 29, 2023, 07:36:49 AM
Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on December 23, 2023, 09:22:16 PMRecently I met a lifelong Laois supporter (now in his 80's) who asked me how we can help Laois GAA to rise again. We both agreed on investment in youth, better quality club teams amongst other things.

Do you agree?

How do we change that?

Are we too club focused?

Can we turn it around?

It's hard to see a way back at the moment but the starting point has to be the urban centres of Portlaoise, Portarlington and Mountmellick. Portlaoise really should be one of the biggest clubs in the country, but they'll never be anything if they're not supported; and I mean that in every definition of that word.

That is where I'd start. I'd be hoping that strong urban clubs would be the tide that rises all boats, and that amalgamated senior clubs with resources similar to Josephs would compete with them. We have too many clubs that are no addition to anything and are preventing players from progressing. They are cult like;obsessed with the idea of staying senior or getting promoted.

It has been particularly sad in recent years to see the lack of interest. I've long since thought that our league football is no more than a kickabout anyway, and it feels at times like we could tell everyone just to come back for the Championship. That mindset has to change. There are club players in neighbouring counties training away as we speak. Most of ours won't be seen until the end of January at least.

Look through the college lists. Very few Laois lads. We're down there with all the worst performing counties, and it's not by accident. Of course there's so much to it, there's no right answer, and you could write a book. There are a million factors that have brought us to this point, and at least we can say that this Keegan chap looks like he has a plan. It's a start, but so much needs to change and coincide with that plan

How many gaa clubs are there in Portlaoise town?

SCFC

Quote from: marty34 on December 29, 2023, 09:38:45 AM

Do you agree?

How do we change that?

Are we too club focused?

Can we turn it around?

Just the one really. Clonad hurling club also operate on the edge of the town and draw some players from the town as far as I know.
The Heath and Park-Ratheniska are also in the same parish and might pick up the odd lad from the town.

Andy06

I dont think we are focused enough on the clubs, as High Fielder says how much of the urban towns are actively engaging in GAA. I have a feeling that apathy reigns across all levels of GAA in Laois, from supporters, players, club officials and county officials. Its nearly too much hassle for clubs and county officials to show some initiative or forward thinking.

I live in Kildare near a rural club that would that would be smaller than most villages in Laois. The club though has a huge connection with the school and it seems every child from junior infants to 6th class is out in training each weekend, there is nobody who is left out. Would there be the same level of involvement for clubs with primary schools in Laois?

marty34

Quote from: SCFC on December 29, 2023, 10:32:08 AM
Quote from: marty34 on December 29, 2023, 09:38:45 AM

Do you agree?

How do we change that?

Are we too club focused?

Can we turn it around?

Just the one really. Clonad hurling club also operate on the edge of the town and draw some players from the town as far as I know.
The Heath and Park-Ratheniska are also in the same parish and might pick up the odd lad from the town.

That's mad there's only one club in a big county town.

Maybe time another dual club or two is formed?

It would allow more kids to participate.