Who would want to be Laois manager?

Started by beano, June 24, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Don't worry about Wolly. Is he a good manager - that's all we need to know. Anyone have a run down of his managerial CV? I've listened to a few interviews with him, seems like a bit of a simple simon. Does the man have a tactical brain? Is he proven? I don't think he's proven with his experience at portlaoise. Portlaoise have been head and shoulders above the competition in laois, and even my cat Roger could probably have managed them to success in laois over the last 5 - 7 years.

Catch and Kick

Quote from: Tony on September 29, 2015, 05:15:39 PM
Don't worry about Wolly. Is he a good manager - that's all we need to know. Anyone have a run down of his managerial CV? I've listened to a few interviews with him, seems like a bit of a simple simon. Does the man have a tactical brain? Is he proven? I don't think he's proven with his experience at portlaoise. Portlaoise have been head and shoulders above the competition in laois, and even my cat Roger could probably have managed them to success in laois over the last 5 - 7 years.

That's some cat you have  - is it Brian Cody?

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Tony on September 29, 2015, 05:15:39 PM
A simple Simon, what the hell does that mean?

The Boy Wonder

Wishing Mick Lillis and Laois the very best of luck for 2016.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Good luck to Mick, I think he will have the support of the players and if he can get a few of the Portlaoise lads to commit it should strengthen the squad. I did mention John Sugrue here a few weeks ago and it seems he was a very strong second to Mick.

QuoteMick Lillis Set To Become Next Laois Football Manager

29th September 2015

Laois' clubs will be asked to ratify Mick Lillis as their new senior football manager next week after he received the unanimous support of the County Board executive last night.

Lillis, who managed the O'Moore's minors last term, has been selected as the preferred candidate ahead of former team physio John Sugrue and ex-Laois stars Joe Higgins and Leo Turley.

The Clare-native guided Portlaoise to three of their current 8 in-a-row title County title run before stepping down in the wake of the 2013 Leinster Final loss to Ballymun.

Lillis and long-time management partner Mark Kavanagh, a current coach with Westmeath, also secured county titles in Carlow and Kildare.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Saint75

Disaster appointment. Nothing against Mick Lillis but division 3 here we come.

OTF

Quote from: Saint75 on September 29, 2015, 10:55:17 PM
Disaster appointment. Nothing against Mick Lillis but division 3 here we come.

Could you expand a bit there Saint....I'd say no matter who got the job staying out of div 3 was always going to be a challenge next year.

Best of luck Mick.

blueandwhite1

The big question for me is whether he has the smarts to analyze and train a team to changing modern systems? Maybe someone close to Portlaoise will know how he rates?

It is less and less about skill these days and more about systems. No matter how skillful your players are you can't beat organization and strategy any more.

Unlaoised

Best of Luck Mick seems you have been written off by the so called experts already..

I think if he can get John Surgue on board it could be a good match.

Be intersting to see who his selectors are .

Still a decent outfit there to work with and bar Dublin we should have nothing to fear in Leinster.

Need to get a few players back on board tho...Cahir Healy,Paul Cahilane,Peter O'Leary,Gary Walsh etc maybe he can get these lads on board.

He will also know the Portlaoise youngsters very well like Seale and Feane who I believe could make the step up given the right training and platform.
LAOIS ABÚ

Laoischat

Seale performed well last week, there are a few youngsters he will be familiar with, maybe its time we start to bring these on, a good blend of old and new. The likes of Billy Sheehan have been hanging on by a pubic hair for the past couple of years. Maybe its time we start to give experience to some youngsters whom Mick will have worked with through Portlaoise and Laois underage. David Seale, Sean & James Moore, Alan Farrell, Niall Mullen and others, along with bringing the good Portlaoise heads on board, I think Mick with a good back room could be a real success.

There's nothing bar Dublin in Leinster and I think if we got to a Leinster final we would consider that a success, and that's just a decent draw away.

Unison

Is it just me, or is there a lack of endorsement for Lillis on this message board from Portlaoise contributors since his appointment?

Hospital Pass

Wouldn't have been my pick but now that he has it we will have to give him a a fair crack.
The interesting questions are the formation of a backroom team and will he be able to generate enough interest for players to commit to the set-up.
Defenders must be the new managers priority. In attack and midfield we have enough to compete with most teams.

portlaoisekid

For me its  not nessessarily about Mick, its about whether he gets total and utter support from both the CB in terms of resources and players who are willing to commit to the county when asked.

If he can get whats he needs from both these sources he has a chance to be a success, otherwise he wont and it wont be his fault to be honest.

goal 10

Best of luck to mick, I just hope he bring in a top class coach as well
and i do believe that there is plenty of talent in the county
some fine big players from the minor and u21 teams this year.

Tony

"The former Portlaoise boss concluded: "It always has been an ambition of mine to manage at county level, and I made a few attempts at it previously and wasn't successful. To be honest, I thought it had passed me by at this stage."

I hope he doesn't make a habit of quotes like that. TOF had a similar one when he joined Laois. He said he was "very surprised to get the job".

What we need Mick to do now, is to get a quality backroom team in, generate interest and put all possible energy into this. He also needs to contact each possible Laois squad member for 2016, individually, and outline his plan for the year. It'll have to be an excellent one. He needs to provide excitment and drive for the year ahead.