Who would want to be Laois manager?

Started by beano, June 24, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

Quote from: Giovanni on August 31, 2015, 06:29:11 PM
Quote from: Tony on August 31, 2015, 03:34:41 PM
Heard from a very good source today, that Higgins is the board's favourite for the job.  8)

One of our greatest ever players but I wonder what evidence there is to suggest that he can be a great manager?

Agree
He might be good but wouldn't it be better if he had a bit of experience with minor or u21 first and see how he goes.
If it's between himself and Lillis it would obviously be a moe popular move.

portlaoisekid

The cash is not there so we will end up with some patch up job, the modern inter county set up is more than a manager and all about setting up a top class arrangement of people. Laois dont have a pot to p**s in so how can we set up such a set up? With the best will in the world there is no chance.

Tony

The thing is, i believe we've a fine group of players. They have huge potential. If we get a tactical expert, in addition to a decent background set up, we can realise our potential. At our highest potential, i think we're a top 8 team - that's if we're firing on all cylinders. Look what Jim m did with an average enough donegal team. I'm also convinced the likes of mayo are not all that much better than us, when it comes to raw talent. It's the system, the momentum and training. I hope we get a cheap under rated manager with passion for laois and great tactics. I know it's a long shot but it's what we should aim for. It will unlock the undeniable potential of this team. Sure, we mightn't be up with the Dublins and kerrys but there's no reason that, with a good brain in charge, that we can't make leinster finals or 4th rnd/quarters.

OTF

So    What we're saying is, when we had money we spent it on outside managers and their setups.
But now we very little  we want  our own Laois men to do it for nothing......sounds like a great idea.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: OTF on September 02, 2015, 08:37:52 AM
So    What we're saying is, when we had money we spent it on outside managers and their setups.
But now we very little  we want  our own Laois men to do it for nothing......sounds like a great idea.

when you put it like that  8)

Unison

Why are the CB talking to two outsiders then?

Who are they by the way? I presume Pillar Caffrey is one of them?

Tony

No, what we're saying is, we need someone with a good tactical brain. They might be from inside the county or out. Just get someone with a good brain. It need not cost the world.

Tony

A good brain and a passion for Laois' progression. Kinda like a chedder, to be fair. Look how far Laois hurlers have come with pretty much the same bunch of players. We can get to Leinster finals and contest well in 4th rounds / quarters - there's no question. Just get the right man in.

Giovanni

If the selection panel is made up of Mick Lillis, Joe Higgins, Leo Turley and Mick Dempsey, I wonder who are the 3 inside candidates? I would hope/assume that at least one of the non-Laois candidates is John Evans?

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Giovanni on September 02, 2015, 05:35:41 PM
If the selection panel is made up of Mick Lillis, Joe Higgins, Leo Turley and Mick Dempsey, I wonder who are the 3 inside candidates? I would hope/assume that at least one of the non-Laois candidates is John Evans?
I think Hoganstand messed up on that one, which they usually do when they are not copying and pasting from other sites. Original journalism is not their strength.   

Giovanni

They seem to be quoting the Leinster Express on that. I haven't seen the paper. Is there a different version there?

portlaoisekid

i haven't seen the Leinster either , so if I'm wrong I apologise...

Tony

It's going on a bit now, but I'd prefer to see the right man in charge vs rushing it and getting someone who will put us back 4/5 years. Not sure what to think of this Pillar Caffrey rumour. Is Dublin's reject the right man for the job? Would he bring the necessary enthusiasm and does he have the tactical know how?!

SCFC

Any sign of progress? Surely someone should be in place by the quarter finals?

GAA-SMART

I dont see Pillar Caffrey taking the job, he is in his first year with Na Fianna and int he County 1/4.. he has a long term plan there to win the championship with his club in the next few years and id be surprised if he turned his back on that now, plus I have little time for him, he probably should of wont he All Ireland with Dublin. Id Imagine John Evans has been approached as has Ryan and Jack Sheedy at some stage. Its hard to know who is best, I would like to see Joe involved but maybe its abit early to give him the full reigns.