Best Irish movie of all time....

Started by Eastern_Pride, August 04, 2009, 03:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No way ref

Did anyone ever see an irish film starring Cillian Murphy where he plays a mentally disturbed teenager who has a girlfriend who lives next door who he calls pig. Great show but i cant remember the name

Donagh

Okay I kinda promised the wife I wouldn't be on the Interwebs while we are on holiday but this one is too hard to resist, even more so that the war movies thread. Sure she's in bed and no one will tell her...

So far we have:

In Bruges
The Commitments
War of The Buttons
Ryan's Daughter
The Van
The Field
My Left Foot
Once
The General
Michael Collins
The Blue Max
(I don't get the Irish connection)
I Went Down
The Snapper
Man about dog
Intermission
Veronica Guerin
Into the west
Some mothers son
In the name of the father
Run of the Country
The Quiet Man
The Butcher Boy
Eat the Peach
Bloody Sunday
Gangs of New York
Breakfast on Pluto

And for No way ref - the movie is 'Disco Pigs'
The Wind that Shakes the Barley
Lamb

Bar one in that list, the things they all have in common are they are all in colour and have been made in the last thirty years. A few that I can think off from the top of my head that have been missed are: Cal, Angel, A Further Gesture, Hunger and H3. (Stephen Rea in most of those). 

But if you want to discuss the 'best' Irish movies of all time you need to cast your net further. Don't get me wrong, there are some fine movies in that list (particularly Lamb & The Wind...) but my personal top five six would be, in order of preference:

1. Odd Man Out
2. Darby O'Gill and the Little People
3. The Rising of the Moon
4. Shake Hands With the Devil
5. The Crying Game
6. The Molly Maguires

Others for honourable mention that haven't got a shout:

Borstal Boy
Elephant
Pavee Lackeen
Trojan Eddie
A Terrible Beauty
Contact
Adam and Paul
The Quare Fellow
Fist Full of Dynamite (I know but hard not to include)
The Informer
Inside I'm Dancing
The Boys and Girls from County Clare

Quagmire

I was just going to mention Inside I'm Dancing, just because I noticed it hadn't been brought up and alot of my mates enjoyed it and told me to watch it. Personally it wasn't for me but then there's been no great praise for Angela's Ashes on here and I thought it was very good.

Whilst being far from the best, Mickey Bo and Me was enjoyable enough, I don't think it's been mentioned yet?

Orior

Here's one you all missed, and I remember seeing it on black&white telly.

Rooney

The scene I remember is Rooney racing down Croke Park with the sliothar on the caman.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Mr. Nakata

Has "Hear My Song" got a mention? The movie about Irish tenor Josef Locke. That was watchable. Tara Fitzgerald was in it. Always like a gleek at Tara, she never has any bother disrobing in a movie.

stephenite

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Evil Genius

I'm surprised* no-one has mentioned this fillum, if for no other reason that it is indisputably a hell of a sight more "Irish" than some of the nominations:

(A Love Divided)

It may not be the greatest film ever made, but it has some good lines in it, it deals with important issues and besides, it has Orla Brady in the lead role - never a bad thing in my book (regardless of the bloody film)!

Coincidentally, the woman on whom the story was based died recently:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/obituaries/2009/0711/1224250460821.html

P.S. Someone mentioned the ubiquitous Com Meaney elsewhere, without listing his (and Ireland's) seminal work - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205214/

* - Or am I?  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Eoghan Mag

I have 'Hear my song' on video and the soundtrack on cassette tape!

Anyone see Accelerator? I heard that all the racing scenes shot inside the cars in this film were actually of half a car on a flat bed truck.

'All dogs go heaven' and 'Help I'm a Fish'  were two cartoon movies made in Ireland. 

saffron sam2

Quote from: Donagh on August 06, 2009, 02:40:53 AM
Okay I kinda promised the wife I wouldn't be on the Interwebs while we are on holiday but this one is too hard to resist, even more so that the war movies thread. Sure she's in bed and no one will tell her...

So far we have:

In Bruges
The Commitments
War of The Buttons
Ryan's Daughter
The Van
The Field
My Left Foot
Once
The General
Michael Collins
The Blue Max
(I don't get the Irish connection)
I Went Down
The Snapper
Man about dog
Intermission
Veronica Guerin
Into the west
Some mothers son
In the name of the father
Run of the Country
The Quiet Man
The Butcher Boy
Eat the Peach
Bloody Sunday
Gangs of New York
Breakfast on Pluto

And for No way ref - the movie is 'Disco Pigs'
The Wind that Shakes the Barley
Lamb

Bar one in that list, the things they all have in common are they are all in colour and have been made in the last thirty years. A few that I can think off from the top of my head that have been missed are: Cal, Angel, A Further Gesture, Hunger and H3. (Stephen Rea in most of those). 

But if you want to discuss the 'best' Irish movies of all time you need to cast your net further. Don't get me wrong, there are some fine movies in that list (particularly Lamb & The Wind...) but my personal top five six would be, in order of preference:

1. Odd Man Out
2. Darby O'Gill and the Little People
3. The Rising of the Moon
4. Shake Hands With the Devil
5. The Crying Game
6. The Molly Maguires

Others for honourable mention that haven't got a shout:

Borstal Boy
Elephant
Pavee Lackeen
Trojan Eddie
A Terrible Beauty
Contact
Adam and Paul
The Quare Fellow
Fist Full of Dynamite (I know but hard not to include)
The Informer
Inside I'm Dancing
The Boys and Girls from County Clare

Does "Hidden Agenda" qualify?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

MasterShake

Does Barry Lyndon qualify? Great film by Kubrick (even tho Ryan O'Neill's accent is a pain in the hole).
"Calmer than you are".

red hander

Re: The Blue Max ... The movie, with its trench warfare scenes and aerial battle scenes (some of the best ever committed to film) were shot in Ireland using Irish extras as WWI soldiers

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Eoghan Mag on August 06, 2009, 09:59:25 PM
I have 'Hear my song' on video and the soundtrack on cassette tape!

Anyone see Accelerator? I heard that all the racing scenes shot inside the cars in this film were actually of half a car on a flat bed truck.

Yeah, not bad too either actually.

Were a fe of those Colin Bateman books made into movies too (think i remember watching one of them - not great, books were okay though)

PadraicHenryPearse

Surprised no one mentioned Martin McDonaghs short film 6 shooter (available in 3 parts on youtube). Really liked that film.

Intermission, the opening scene is brilliant alone.
in the name of the father
wind that shakes the barley
inside i'm dancing i thought would be on more peoples list.
the van
the snapper
the general (not ordinary decent criminal - why did spacey try and do an irish accent)