Laptops

Started by qwerty123, December 02, 2014, 04:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwerty123

I'm looking for a laptop that will be able to cope with normal day to day processing and a bit of streaming.
There won't be any gaming involved, mainly just for work purposes and like I said some streaming.

A reliable computer would be a start! And quite fast.

Any ideas on what type of laptop i should buy and how much should I fork out for it?

Mikhailov

Quote from: qwerty123 on December 02, 2014, 04:18:00 PM
I'm looking for a laptop that will be able to cope with normal day to day processing and a bit of streaming.
There won't be any gaming involved, mainly just for work purposes and like I said some streaming.

A reliable computer would be a start! And quite fast.

Any ideas on what type of laptop i should buy and how much should I fork out for it?

Yes, seeking this sort of advice also - want something that is small and compact as do quite a bit of travelling but also needs to have enough memory to store loads of docs and information on it. Are these 2-in-1 type units any good that you can use as a laptop and a tablet or are they just a gimmick...

Is it better to buy from a local guy who can service it if something goes wrong or is it better to buy from Currys/Dixons/PCworld type shops where price is decent but back up and help maybe isn't what you need -

All advice is very welcome...

illdecide

There's a good Laptop for £349 in Currys and PC World...has i3 processor, 1 TB and 8gb ram with windows 8.1

HP Pavilion 15-p078sa 15.6" Laptop - White
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Newbridge Exile

Anyone have any experience with ChromeBooks? thinking of getting one , just really for internet and working on spreadsheets/ Word docs?

Muzz

Quote from: illdecide on December 03, 2014, 09:04:34 AM
There's a good Laptop for £349 in Currys and PC World...has i3 processor, 1 TB and 8gb ram with windows 8.1

For anyone that has O2 Priority you also get cash off with a code from the O2 Priority app.  If you are going to order this and dont have O2 let me know and I can PM you the code.

gallsman

Quote from: illdecide on December 03, 2014, 09:04:34 AM

i3 isn't the best rubbing 8.1. If not that much more expensive to bump up to the i5, I'd try to pick up something that has it.

qwerty123

Although going for the i5 etc, is that too high a spec for something like word processing and some streaming? Or does streaming require something big?

illdecide

Muzz I'm with o2 but don't know anything about codes? can you send me something? cheers man.

Gallsman it is a huge jump up for the i5 processor...the Laptop is for my 9 year old Daughter who hopefully will do a bit of school work on and prob internet usage...is the i3 processor not that great?

armaghniac

Quote from: illdecide on December 05, 2014, 11:32:51 AM
Muzz I'm with o2 but don't know anything about codes? can you send me something? cheers man.

Gallsman it is a huge jump up for the i5 processor...the Laptop is for my 9 year old Daughter who hopefully will do a bit of school work on and prob internet usage...is the i3 processor not that great?

Any modern machine will do internet browsing, Excel, youtube etc, only some games and some complex software that you'd need for a science MSc or PhD is likely to really tax the processor.  Most people's problems are with their network not their laptop or else they are running too many concurrent applications. Get one with more RAM rather than the latest processor.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

fatdog

Mikhailov

Quote from: fatdog on December 05, 2014, 03:31:30 PM
Whats your budget?

400-450 max GBP

Are these 2in1 type any good whereby they are both laptop and tablet....

Bensars

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 05, 2014, 03:35:29 PM
Whats your budget?

400-450 max GBP

This one seems to getting some heat ( i.e. people think its a good deal )
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asus-x555la-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-4210-processor-329-00-currys-2073662

blewuporstuffed

Whats your budget?

400-450 max GBP

The brother got one of the Lenovo Yoga ones and it seems to be a great job, works well as a tablet and a laptop and seemed very fast to run most things.
A bit on the small side with an 11" screen  but thats what he wanted for travelling.
£399 they are and i think Lenovo are offering   cash back offer at the minute where you get the VAT back.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

illdecide

Quote from: Bensars on December 05, 2014, 03:41:15 PM
Whats your budget?

400-450 max GBP

This one seems to getting some heat ( i.e. people think its a good deal )
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asus-x555la-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-4210-processor-329-00-currys-2073662

guys i'm buying this weekend, could some of you computer experts recommend this or the one I posted earlier in the week? Or even if you know of one out there that would do...budget £350. Thanks