The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

My only concern is that despite the strengthening of the squad there is a definite first choice XI developing.

I had hoped that after the Champions League performances Origi would force his way into a regular rotation in the forwards but that hasn't happened.
In midfield Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Henderson are a clear first choice and at the back the only unclear spot is who partners VVD in the middle.

I would worry that if the same 11 start almost every game that towards the end of the season injuries or fatigue could catch up on them.

markl121

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on November 11, 2019, 03:20:47 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 11, 2019, 03:03:08 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 11, 2019, 12:34:38 PM
Thats the title for Liverpool barring injuries and can see the gap getting bigger between Liverpool in City over the next few month, can't recall any of their front 3 ever been out for anything other then a week or two. The pen was a 50:50 decision, if had been given VAR would have gone along with the refs decision, thought Kompany made a tit of himself yesterday.

City are poor at the back without Laporte and he doesn't have a left back he trusts, Aguero is just not the same player, he'll probably score 30 goals this season but any good centre forward would in that team with the way they create chances.
City actually have a  tougher run of PL games to come, but its the volume of games for Liverpool that may cause a problem with the world club and the league cup thrown in during December.

When you consider that if Liverpool beat Napoli, the last CL game is a dead rubber and the league cup fixture will be played with an U-23 team it's not a bad set of upcoming fixtures at all.
City are certainly playing much tougher opposition - top 6 teams and United  ;D
Ole will roll over and let city tickle his belly

supersub

Quote from: dec on November 11, 2019, 03:22:33 PM
My only concern is that despite the strengthening of the squad there is a definite first choice XI developing.

I had hoped that after the Champions League performances Origi would force his way into a regular rotation in the forwards but that hasn't happened.
In midfield Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Henderson are a clear first choice and at the back the only unclear spot is who partners VVD in the middle.

I would worry that if the same 11 start almost every game that towards the end of the season injuries or fatigue could catch up on them.

On the contrary, for 'big' games that is the midfield yes - Henderson, Gini, Fabinho - but week to week it isn't really. Henderson spends his fair share on the bench, with Gini dropped down an odd game or two. Fabinho seems the one cemented in every game. I think Matip is now the first choice beside VVD with Lovren second, and a fall from grace for Gomez who started the season as the favoured partner. I think you will see Milner get a lot of game time over the next number of months in different positions as Klopp try's his best to manage through the fixture log. Such a player to be able to call upon, does a job every time.

The front three rarely rotate which is true, and either do the full backs or VVD. Simply put I don't think Klopp or anyone for that matter wants to rest the front three at all. They are electric with and without the ball. Obviously a risk if fatigue of course, but this is the third season they have played in this manner and touch wood been ok so far.

dec

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/11/england-drop-raheem-sterling-montenegro-match

Raheem Sterling has been dropped for England's Euro 2020 qualifier against Montenegro on Thursday after a bust-up with Joe Gomez at St George's Park.

Emotions were still running high on Monday afternoon following Liverpool's 3-1 win over Manchester City 24 hours earlier and the title rivalry spilled over into the England camp. City's Sterling and Liverpool's Gomez were involved in a heated clash towards the end of the match at Anfield and both players had to be separated again after reporting for international duty.

laoislad

My money would be on Gomez in a fight against Sterling.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hound

Quote from: laoislad on November 12, 2019, 08:01:44 AM
Some sympathy going around for Sterling, but whatever he did it must have been pretty bad to get thrown out of England camp!

In fairness to him, he had a really good game on Sunday, but thankfully (and very surprisingly) De Bruyne and Aguero were awful.

I have a feeling both teams will drop a higher than usual amount of points between now and early Jan.

Taylor

Quote from: Hound on November 12, 2019, 08:43:59 AM
Some sympathy going around for Sterling, but whatever he did it must have been pretty bad to get thrown out of England camp!

In fairness to him, he had a really good game on Sunday, but thankfully (and very surprisingly) De Bruyne and Aguero were awful.

I have a feeling both teams will drop a higher than usual amount of points between now and early Jan.

If it had been a game against a top team there is no way he would have been thrown out

Hound

Quote from: Taylor on November 12, 2019, 09:57:17 AM

If it had been a game against a top team there is no way he would have been thrown out
Still a massive statement to throw him out. A very public admonishment. No attempt to dress it up as something else. It would have been easy to say he's picked up a minor niggle and for Southgate to just privately tell him not to do whatever he did again. 

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Hound on November 12, 2019, 10:14:55 AM

Still a massive statement to throw him out. A very public admonishment. No attempt to dress it up as something else. It would have been easy to say he's picked up a minor niggle and for Southgate to just privately tell him not to do whatever he did again.

He hasn't been thrown out of the squad. He's still with them. Just been "stood down" for the game on Thursday.

Taylor

I still dont think it is a big thing to not play him in this game.

England are 1/25 and will win by at least 3 goals - a bigger game and no chance Southgate would have taken the risk

RedHand88

Robertson a doubt for the palace game on Saturday week, ankle injury.

J70

Idiotic from Southgate.

Two young, highly competitive lads in a very significant and emotional game have a brief go at each other and there is minor spillover afterwards. Shocking stuff I tell ye!

thebuzz

Quote from: J70 on November 12, 2019, 11:55:57 AM

Idiotic from Southgate.

Two young, highly competitive lads in a very significant and emotional game have a brief go at each other and there is minor spillover afterwards. Shocking stuff I tell ye!

Whatever his faults I would have considered Southgate to be fairly level headed. It must have been a major spill over for this to happen.

blewuporstuffed

Whats interesting is that it only seems to have been Sterling disciplined so he must have been well out of line
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

gawa316

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 12, 2019, 12:27:16 PM
Whats interesting is that it only seems to have been Sterling disciplined so he must have been well out of line

Just saw a pic of Gomez with a scrap below his eye