Disgraceful front page in The Irish News

Started by give her dixie, February 20, 2018, 03:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

This was the front page in Mondays Irish News

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but to me, the front page in Mondays Irish News was one of the most disgusting
pieces I have ever seen from them in all the years I have been buying their daily paper.

It's a headline I would have expected from a red top tabloid in the UK.

A young lad was killed in a motorbike accident thousands of miles away in Australia and they chose this headline.

Needless to say they have been facing a well deserved backlash on social media, and the comments on their facebook post
says it all.

https://www.facebook.com/IrishNewsLtd/photos/a.174084502618345.50223.115467001813429/2046687075358069/?type=3&comment_id=2047159871977456&notif_id=1519063936053063&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

They overstepped the mark and given the tragic circumstances, they should not only hang their heads in shame, but issue an apology.

I remember very well a young lad from Co Down who was killed in similar motorbike accident in LA in '91 when I lived there,
and together as a community we rallied together to raise funds to get his body home for burial. Not one single person who
knew him or contributed to the fund cared for who his parents were or what they stood for.

We stood together for someone we knew and loved, much like Tiernans friends in Australia and the Kevin Bell Repatriation charity who will do all they can to bring his body home to his parents, family and friends for burial.

The Irish News raised the price of their paper a couple of weeks ago telling us that they were going to bring us more quality.

If this is what they call quality, then they can stick their extra 10p up their ass.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

MoChara

That's a joke, as you say its something you expect from the Red Tops.

ONARAGGATIP

illdecide

Cheap shot alright, maybe as an apology they'll pay to bring the young lad home as a good will gesture for causing more hurt to friends and family
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Minder

So they are going to bring more quality but '"comedian" Jake O'Kane is now a columnist. Doesent make sense
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hereiam

Stopped buying this rag a while back as its front page headlines have been heading to the gutter

Taylor

Quote from: Hereiam on February 20, 2018, 09:25:03 AM
Stopped buying this rag a while back as its front page headlines have been heading to the gutter

Same as that.

Was only buying it for one or two of the sports columnists but the shite they are publishing and the red top agenda that seems more prevalent everyday eventually outweighed the quality sports columns.

orangeman

Irish News does some great work but recently the editorial has become extremely controversial.

Yesterday's headline was totally inappropriate. The editor of the IN needs to take a look at what's going on and stop the sensational headlines and content.

There is almost universal disgust at this headline and quite a few people have decided that no matter about the good sports coverage, enough is enough and they will not be buying the paper. This is something the Sun would publish.

yellowcard

The GAA column's section of the Irish News is fairly good and they do cover GAA in general very well although Heaney was never replaced properly. They should do a few more feature interviews though like the one with Joey Cunningham which I thought was excellent.

The news section I rarely bother with, if it wasn't for GAA I wouldn't buy the paper and I reckon a lot of people are in the same boat. The front page has got way too sensationalis, and this latest headline is just one of many in recent years.

DuffleKing

tonto1888

Quote from: yellowcard on February 20, 2018, 10:30:29 AM
The GAA column's section of the Irish News is fairly good and they do cover GAA in general very well although Heaney was never replaced properly. They should do a few more feature interviews though like the one with Joey Cunningham which I thought was excellent.

The news section I rarely bother with, if it wasn't for GAA I wouldn't buy the paper and I reckon a lot of people are in the same boat. The front page has got way too sensationalis, and this latest headline is just one of many in recent years.

Agreed. I only ever get it for the GAA

longballin

That is disguting front page and such a insult to a grieving family and community.

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on February 20, 2018, 10:30:29 AM

Joey Cunningham interview was good. Interviews from past players are the only thing worth reading in papers now though. Sure current players and managers say feck all.

GAA is good though. Plus you need to buy it to see who's dead.

Minder

Allison Morris is reason enough not to buy it, a total dose
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

give her dixie

Good to see the Irish News taking on board the widespread disgust at their headline on Monday and issuing an apology today.

Lets hope they learn a lesson.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......