Formula 1

Started by Eamonnca1, March 07, 2018, 12:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 25, 2018, 09:28:44 PM
Good start to the season for Vettel. Looking like a bit of competitiveness between the top 3 teams. Hopefully it won't be so predictable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SONGEiVMygg

Good start surely but he had no shortage in luck the way things worked out for him. The merc still seems to be the fastest car. I hope the other cars can find a bit more speed over the next few races.

Eamonnca1

True. I'd hate to be that Haas mechanic, but Grosjean was a class act consoling him afterwards. Oftentimes it's the drivers who make mistakes out on the track, it's not often it's the mechanics who mess up.

GJL

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 26, 2018, 05:29:09 PM
True. I'd hate to be that Haas mechanic, but Grosjean was a class act consoling him afterwards. Oftentimes it's the drivers who make mistakes out on the track, it's not often it's the mechanics who mess up.

I could be wrong but I think it involves 2 mechanics. The same thing happened both cars (crossed thread on wheel nut) but back left on one car and front right on the other. Very unusual.

Agreed about Grosjean...class act.

NAG1

Quote from: GJL on March 27, 2018, 09:23:37 AM

I could be wrong but I think it involves 2 mechanics. The same thing happened both cars (crossed thread on wheel nut) but back left on one car and front right on the other. Very unusual.

Did they not find a fault in the air pressure system which the guns run off? Thats what they seemed to be looking at after the race was over in the pitlane. Could be wrong but thats what I picked up on, on Sky coverage.

GJL

Quote from: NAG1 on March 27, 2018, 10:13:26 AM
Quote from: GJL on March 27, 2018, 09:23:37 AM

Did they not find a fault in the air pressure system which the guns run off? Thats what they seemed to be looking at after the race was over in the pitlane. Could be wrong but thats what I picked up on, on Sky coverage.

I hope that is the case for the mechanic's sake.

Eamonnca1

I hope so too and it's the more likely explanation. Those mechanics train until they're able to do these moves on autopilot, so I'd be surprised if it were the mechanic at fault.

thebigfella

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 27, 2018, 07:39:43 PM
I hope so too and it's the more likely explanation. Those mechanics train until they're able to do these moves on autopilot, so I'd be surprised if it were the mechanic at fault.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135034/haas-blames-lack-of-practice-for-pit-blunders

Eamonnca1

Interesting. Damned if I know how you could cross thread those nuts though, you'd think they'd be designed to slide in perfectly.

thebigfella

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 28, 2018, 12:34:38 AM
Interesting. Damned if I know how you could cross thread those nuts though, you'd think they'd be designed to slide in perfectly.

You could cross thread anything with torque of >4000Nm

Denn Forever

It would be interesting to see a Formula E car race against a Formula 1 car.  Maybe at Monaco or any other twisty track.  No long straights.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

thebigfella

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 28, 2018, 12:02:55 PM
It would be interesting to see a Formula E car race against a Formula 1 car.  Maybe at Monaco or any other twisty track.  No long straights.

Not really at all. Massive difference in to downforce levels even if you disregard the obvious power/acceration differences.

Denn Forever

Do electric motors  not give immediate power?  I know these are road cars but acceleration figures/power figures look good.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/5-electric-cars-giving-supercars-a-run-for-their-money-2017-5?r=US&IR=T
means what he says...

thebigfella

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 28, 2018, 01:23:25 PM
Do electric motors  not give immediate power?  I know these are road cars but acceleration figures/power figures look good.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/5-electric-cars-giving-supercars-a-run-for-their-money-2017-5?r=US&IR=T

They do but a formula 1 car acceleration is limited by the ability to use the massive torque generated by the power train - they could theoretically accelerate to 60mph in under 1 sec if the drive could get the power down. There is no comparison to a Formula 1 car and super car.
Either way the acceleration and traction far outweighs what a Formula E car can deliver. Also there a top speed disparity of close to 100mph currently - will come in a tiny but with the introduction of the new Formula E regs.

On top of the above Formula 1 cars have much more downforce and mechanical grip, shorter braking distances due to better braking systems, lower min weight etc....

Denn Forever

Would be interesting.
means what he says...

thebigfella

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 28, 2018, 01:49:42 PM
Would be interesting.

If you find a super car vs Ford Focus worth watching, then maybe it would be to you.