?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

HiMucker

Quote from: trailer on February 27, 2019, 11:11:57 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on February 27, 2019, 10:49:28 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 27, 2019, 12:55:44 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 26, 2019, 10:37:14 PM
This talk of Celtics poor Euro form. What do people expect like? There's not a hope in hell Celtic could compete with the major teams from Spain Italy, England Germany etc.

The fact is, Scottish football is a minnow league in Europe and the tv money they get is minuscule, and their teams will just not be good enough when up against the super powers
Yabba yabba  yabba, Who is expecting Celtic to pump league winners from the top leagues in Europe?
Quit with the hysterical nonsense.
Celtic did well in europe with Lennon and with a bit more support from the board that level of "success" could have been maintained. It's not out of the equation that a club like Celtic can achieve what a club like Ajax or Benfica do manage on a more regular basis. Champions league group stages is a goal, not a right.
No they cant. They may do it the odd time but they cant match them financially to do it consistently. I used to go over to Celtic matches. Still support them, but I look at football now as just entertainment, the money has completely ruined any semblance of a level playing field. Last year Celtic didnt even feature in the Worlds top 100 richest clubs. Benfica were 66th and Ajax were 36th. QPR were 82nd. Puts it in perspective. Leicester were 19th. The timing might leave a bad taste in the mouth, but I feel a lot of it is down to hurt egos in the realization of where Celtic are at in the football hierarchy. Some supporters just don't want to admit that.

Interesting numbers. Can Celtic not sell the brand? Surely with a massive fan base that they have they should be able to leverage more money on the corporate side? The Scottish league isn't going to get massive viewing numbers and the money you get for competing in that is reflective. But surely a massive club like Celtic should have 100's of corporate partners? No? Utd for example have all sorts of corporate deals. Even their training kit and ground is sponsored.
United have all those deals because of the media exposure. Celtic don't have that. They have a massive fan base, and out of all the clubs not in the elite bracket Celtic would probably find it the easiest to grow if they were competing in a better "product". Because thats what these leagues are now.

rodney trotter

It's a surprise Celtic and Leicester didn't come to an agreement that Rodgers would go in the summer, instead of now. Leicester won't be getting relagted and had a good win last night. They could have played out the rest of the season with a caretaker.

It would also have looked for Rodgers  to have done a treble 3 in a row. Rodgers done well domestically but not a surprise with the finance, very poor in Europe, as he was with Liverpool.

lynchbhoy

Themac... where did you get the info about the players and Tierneys response to Rodgers.

V telling if so.

Correctly.

Rodgers wanted out and took the first opportunity.  Poor show. No way Kennedy would leave after the club supported him after his career ending injury when v young.

I see dembele has had a go at Rodgers again on Twitter for not being honest!

I am more worried about who the board might sign as long term. Manager. Lennon and deila weren't quite good enough imo. Strachan was v poor.
Clarke is the man imo.

Who else is there..that knows Celtic, Scottish football and won't baulk at having no money to spend

illdecide

Quote from: marty34 on February 27, 2019, 08:24:50 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on February 27, 2019, 07:43:06 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 27, 2019, 07:26:40 AM
Quote from: marty34 on February 26, 2019, 11:26:58 PM
How much compensation do Leicester have to pay Celtic now? 
Any proper figure especially as it's mid-season.

If it was sorted for June, I'd understand but I think doing it now has ruined his reputation especially after signing Brown up for another contract.

What must Scott Brown be thinking today???

I was thinking about Brown yesterday. Betrayed I would imagine. Who else signed contracts recently? Wonder what Dembele thinks

Did Brown not deal directly with the club? Rodgers was nothing to do with his signing a new contract. The 2 are a class apart anyway. Brown has loyalty.

I beg to differ.  I'd say Brown thought BR would be there for the long haul to 10 in a row.  They always spoke very highly of each  other - very highly.

S Brown done his new deal with Mr Lawell and BR was not even present. I think now in hindsight we know why, someone posted back earlier this decision was not made yesterday morning
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

themac_23

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 27, 2019, 12:54:06 PM
Themac... where did you get the info about the players and Tierneys response to Rodgers.

V telling if so.

Correctly.

Rodgers wanted out and took the first opportunity.  Poor show. No way Kennedy would leave after the club supported him after his career ending injury when v young.

I am more worried about who the board might sign as long term. Manager. Lennon and deila weren't quite good enough imo. Strachan was v poor.
Clarke is the man imo.

Who else is there..that knows Celtic, Scottish football and won't baulk at having no money to spend

friend sent me a screenshot from a WhatsApp, not always a great source but the guy i got it from is usually pretty bang on with anything celtic related

lynchbhoy

Quote from: themac_23 on February 27, 2019, 02:01:56 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 27, 2019, 12:54:06 PM

V telling if so.

Correctly.

Clarke is the man imo.

friend sent me a screenshot from a WhatsApp, not always a great source but the guy i got it from is usually pretty bang on with anything celtic related
I'd well believe it..

It's telling that so far I've heard nothing about players wishing br well

Only thing was dembele jumping on the chance to report his stuff and slate rodgers

lynchbhoy

Quote from: screenexile on February 27, 2019, 09:57:24 AM
It still amazes me how personal some people take it when a player/manager leaves a football club as if it doesn't happen all the time!!

"But ... but ... we're different we're Celtic"

You're not different you're a normal football club like every other one!!
Really??
It happens in GAA as well as soccer when someone leaves to
Take over a rival club
Or
In this instance ...someone walking out at a crucial part of the season

I don't think Celtic are different to anyone else there to be honest 

dublin7

This talk of Celtics poor Euro form. What do people expect like? There's not a hope in hell Celtic could compete with the major teams from Spain Italy, England Germany etc.

The fact is, Scottish football is a minnow league in Europe and the tv money they get is minuscule, and their teams will just not be good enough when up against the super powers
Yabba yabba  yabba, Who is expecting Celtic to pump league winners from the top leagues in Europe?
Celtic did well in europe with Lennon and with a bit more support from the board that level of "success" could have been maintained. It's not out of the equation that a club like Celtic can achieve what a club like Ajax or Benfica do manage on a more regular basis. Champions league group stages is a goal, not a right.
No they cant. They may do it the odd time but they cant match them financially to do it consistently. I used to go over to Celtic matches. Still support them, but I look at football now as just entertainment, the money has completely ruined any semblance of a level playing field. Last year Celtic didnt even feature in the Worlds top 100 richest clubs. Benfica were 66th and Ajax were 36th. QPR were 82nd. Puts it in perspective. Leicester were 19th. The timing might leave a bad taste in the mouth, but I feel a lot of it is down to hurt egos in the realization of where Celtic are at in the football hierarchy. Some supporters just don't want to admit that.

Interesting numbers. Can Celtic not sell the brand? Surely with a massive fan base that they have they should be able to leverage more money on the corporate side? The Scottish league isn't going to get massive viewing numbers and the money you get for competing in that is reflective. But surely a massive club like Celtic should have 100's of corporate partners? No? Utd for example have all sorts of corporate deals. Even their training kit and ground is sponsored.

The team that finishes bottom of the premier league will earn more in tv revenue than Celtic will for winning the league. Premier League product games is franchised all over the world and generates millions for the clubs not just in tv income, but through sponsorship and corporate branding. Celtic can't compete with that as no one outside of the UK & Ireland wants to watch Scottish football.

lynchbhoy

Dermot Desmond has been trying to get Celtic out of SPL for years. Hopefully this will happen at some stage. Celtic will never dine at the top table again until they do

trailer

Quote from: dublin7 on February 27, 2019, 04:19:04 PM

The team that finishes bottom of the premier league will earn more in tv revenue than Celtic will for winning the league. Premier League product games is franchised all over the world and generates millions for the clubs not just in tv income, but through sponsorship and corporate branding. Celtic can't compete with that as no one outside of the UK & Ireland wants to watch Scottish football.

So do they or do they not have a massive fan base? If they have a massive fan base they shouldn't have any issue generating huge revenue streams. That is irrespective of the league they compete in.
Celtic may have been a big club with a great history. Now it looks like they're just a historic club.

MoChara

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 27, 2019, 04:52:46 PM
Dermot Desmond has been trying to get Celtic out of SPL for years. Hopefully this will happen at some stage. Celtic will never dine at the top table again until they do

Always thought it was strange Rangers when having to work from the bottom up didn't just apply to join the English leagues

STREET FIGHTER

Thoughts on any Celtic players to follow Brendan Rogers to Leicester??

lynchbhoy

Quote from: trailer on February 27, 2019, 06:48:29 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on February 27, 2019, 04:19:04 PM

So do they or do they not have a massive fan base? If they have a massive fan base they shouldn't have any issue generating huge revenue streams. That is irrespective of the league they compete in.
Celtic may have been a big club with a great history. Now it looks like they're just a historic club.
????

A massive fan base doesnt consistently and easily  generate the 100 million a year in tv revenue

lynchbhoy

Quote from: MoChara on February 27, 2019, 07:11:51 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 27, 2019, 04:52:46 PM

Always thought it was strange Rangers when having to work from the bottom up didn't just apply to join the English leagues
The English leagues have voted no to admitting Celtic and rangers every time the subject was raised...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on February 27, 2019, 12:06:09 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 12, 2017, 11:51:17 PM
I don't think his race with Celtic is run yet.Brendan will not be at Celtic Park for a long time.It is clear from the book that he sees the chance of rehabilitation here after Liverpool,and you sense he desperately wants to prove himself on the European stage.

I can see Lennon,like big Jock,moving back to Celtic Park.The question is,will he, or indeed any other future Celtic manager get the autonomy and spending power that Brendan enjoys.

Good call.

Tony is probably creaming his pants somewhere in cyberspace
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea