Standard of Refs

Started by guevara, July 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eire90 on July 21, 2023, 10:04:01 AM
was just thinking is there many duel refs in gaa  meaning they ref football and hurling.

Not at intercounty level but plenty of intercounty ref's from dual counties ref both at club level. Barry Kelly has done All Ireland finals and ref'd county football finals
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

shark

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2023, 10:36:27 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on July 21, 2023, 10:04:01 AM
was just thinking is there many duel refs in gaa  meaning they ref football and hurling.

Not at intercounty level but plenty of intercounty ref's from dual counties ref both at club level. Barry Kelly has done All Ireland finals and ref'd county football finals

He's probably the best football ref in Westmeath. Certainly top 3.

Main Street

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 20, 2023, 08:15:46 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on July 20, 2023, 07:59:42 AM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 19, 2023, 04:15:55 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on July 19, 2023, 03:48:20 PM
Quote from: Dabh on July 19, 2023, 03:30:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 18, 2023, 05:32:47 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 18, 2023, 05:03:54 PM
Does the impact of a foul influence a referee?
I mean if someone is badly injured does it influence the ref to give a card?

When Rogers got a punch into the stomach near the end, would he have got a free if he went down holding his stomach which could convince the ref that he was indeed hit?

Rodgers (if memory serves me right) was going down as the hand was going in, there was the initial view where it look like he took a punch and the other, out of sheer exhaustion fumbled the ball with an attempted pass. Can't remember what Joe's positioning was at the time

watch it again ..
https://twitter.com/i/status/1680617372703391744
12 secs

Rogers had just taken a solo, was turning back, no doubt looking to give a pass, had the ball protected in his chest with both hands when O'Sheas hand came in under the hands and ball and looks to have caught him in the stomach/midriff.  Thats a foul.

& 33 secs will show it from the other side and you can see where Joe was positioned and what he saw.  Could not have been in a better place.

Jeez lads there are tackles like that every game and no free given may aswell make the game non contact if a referee is going to be scrutinised on decisions like that.

And compared to the free given to S O' Shea,  when Derry had turned the ball over in defence?

Can't comment on that one but the only way to fix what you are getting at is to make the game non-contact.

You are all over the place here.
Rogers claim should not be a free because the spirit of the game says its s contact sport and rough house play is to be expected?
S O' Shea's free ,  look i wont comment on that one because it would show up my bias.  You are fooling no one.

All any supporter wants in any game is consistent application of the rules within the 70 minutes of that game.

Rogers was punched twice, the second punch didn't make contact with the ball  but affected Rogers' pass attempt causing it to fall short.
For whatever reason the ref saw it as playonable'. In a hectic passage of play, in one instant the ref made a mistake. However, it is the opinion of some that when the ref didn't call it as a foul, then there was no foul play, that at any given time in such like incidents  the ref is infallible, unsighted or he can't be blowing up for every  piece of physical contact.

Take the much lauded Hurson, McManus gets on the ball at half way line, is clearly pulled back on the shoulder, astonishingly a watching Hurson sees no foul, McManus then cuts inside the Dub's half and is hand battered  simultaneously by 3 Dubs, again no foul. What Hurson should have done was play advantage from the first foul, then bring play back after the 2nd incident.

On consistency over  the last 6 games I'd say Conor Lane was the most consistent with decisions made in the game and in an almost direct contrast with Joe who got it totally wrong on that shoulder charge incident, Conor got it half right with the shoulder by Mohan on O'Neill. The correct decision should've been a free out to Monaghan. Both refs could not have seen the shoulder charge contact. After much thought (GAAVAR consultation on the mike??) Conor probably accepted that he couldn't decide one way or the other and threw up the ball. Had Conor made the worst decision like Joe did and  called a foul against Mohan, Armagh would have been in the semis. Of all the Croke Pk games that was the stand out best decision by a ref  in the closing minutes of a game and it wasn't even the correct decision.

Milltown Row2

Those 2/3 poor decisions/calls pale into insignificance to the amount of poor calls decisions made by players/managers before a game and throughout the game.

But in a close game we (myself included) will seek out how the ref cost a team or lost the game or (best yet) caused a riot.

Ref's are far more under microscope than ever before, not sure why or if this is a new phenomenon, can't recall the in depth analysis of the man in the middle as much as it is

First look at Rodgers 'tackle' I thought it was a free then replay from other side thought it was tiredness on his part, again would need to look again. But ref gets one second to call or not
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

naka

Quote from: Main Street on July 24, 2023, 04:25:13 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 20, 2023, 08:15:46 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on July 20, 2023, 07:59:42 AM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 19, 2023, 04:15:55 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on July 19, 2023, 03:48:20 PM
Quote from: Dabh on July 19, 2023, 03:30:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 18, 2023, 05:32:47 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 18, 2023, 05:03:54 PM
Does the impact of a foul influence a referee?
I mean if someone is badly injured does it influence the ref to give a card?

When Rogers got a punch into the stomach near the end, would he have got a free if he went down holding his stomach which could convince the ref that he was indeed hit?

Rodgers (if memory serves me right) was going down as the hand was going in, there was the initial view where it look like he took a punch and the other, out of sheer exhaustion fumbled the ball with an attempted pass. Can't remember what Joe's positioning was at the time

watch it again ..
https://twitter.com/i/status/1680617372703391744
12 secs

Rogers had just taken a solo, was turning back, no doubt looking to give a pass, had the ball protected in his chest with both hands when O'Sheas hand came in under the hands and ball and looks to have caught him in the stomach/midriff.  Thats a foul.

& 33 secs will show it from the other side and you can see where Joe was positioned and what he saw.  Could not have been in a better place.

Jeez lads there are tackles like that every game and no free given may aswell make the game non contact if a referee is going to be scrutinised on decisions like that.

And compared to the free given to S O' Shea,  when Derry had turned the ball over in defence?

Can't comment on that one but the only way to fix what you are getting at is to make the game non-contact.

You are all over the place here.
Rogers claim should not be a free because the spirit of the game says its s contact sport and rough house play is to be expected?
S O' Shea's free ,  look i wont comment on that one because it would show up my bias.  You are fooling no one.

All any supporter wants in any game is consistent application of the rules within the 70 minutes of that game.

Rogers was punched twice, the second punch didn't make contact with the ball  but affected Rogers' pass attempt causing it to fall short.
For whatever reason the ref saw it as playonable'. In a hectic passage of play, in one instant the ref made a mistake. However, it is the opinion of some that when the ref didn't call it as a foul, then there was no foul play, that at any given time in such like incidents  the ref is infallible, unsighted or he can't be blowing up for every  piece of physical contact.

Take the much lauded Hurson, McManus gets on the ball at half way line, is clearly pulled back on the shoulder, astonishingly a watching Hurson sees no foul, McManus then cuts inside the Dub's half and is hand battered  simultaneously by 3 Dubs, again no foul. What Hurson should have done was play advantage from the first foul, then bring play back after the 2nd incident.

On consistency over  the last 6 games I'd say Conor Lane was the most consistent with decisions made in the game and in an almost direct contrast with Joe who got it totally wrong on that shoulder charge incident, Conor got it half right with the shoulder by Mohan on O'Neill. The correct decision should've been a free out to Monaghan. Both refs could not have seen the shoulder charge contact. After much thought (GAAVAR consultation on the mike??) Conor probably accepted that he couldn't decide one way or the other and threw up the ball. Had Conor made the worst decision like Joe did and  called a foul against Mohan, Armagh would have been in the semis. Of all the Croke Pk games that was the stand out best decision by a ref  in the closing minutes of a game and it wasn't even the correct decision.
Would challenge though lane's decision at the end of extra time
The game was up

Even at the free he intimated it was the last kick then allowed another set play
He played on to give Monaghan the chance to equalise
Quite sure if o Neill had scored the equalising point then he would have blown up at that stage
Although in an amateur sport I can understand his rationale as such

My view the best ref  in the country is in charge of the final

armaghniac

There is a clear case for an LGFA style clock which means that the time keeping is clear to everyone and there is no scope for discussion on how long was allowed for this and that. In this day and age a remote clock with a button for the ref to stop it is perfectly technically possible for a range of games.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: armaghniac on July 24, 2023, 11:37:20 PM
There is a clear case for an LGFA style clock which means that the time keeping is clear to everyone and there is no scope for discussion on how long was allowed for this and that. In this day and age a remote clock with a button for the ref to stop it is perfectly technically possible for a range of games.

I don't know there is something sterile about the clock counting down and the winning team holding possession or the losing team tearing up the pitch and the hooter going off as they hit the half way line.

Rugby have the last play option which seems a bit more amicable.

urbangael

Gough is probably the best and a good call by HQ to give him the final.

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2023, 12:06:28 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 20, 2023, 11:41:00 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2023, 10:30:16 AM
And thats the fine line of it.. Plenty tackles (and remember the only legal physical tackle is shoulder to shoulder BTW) in games and if a player catches the ball, because you can tackle the ball, though not rip from possession, if he connects cleanly with the ball via his fist then play on. Contact with a player with a fist is a yellow, if seen

So would that not have applied when the Kerry keeper took mcguigan in the head with his hip mid air?

Collision and not a tackle in Joe's book by the looks of it, at the very least looking back and given the opportunity to call that again, he may have stopped it for a head injury.. Its been a very split topic, as ones at the club game last night were asking me on it, I probably would have played on if I'm being honest, that's just me.

There is a directive coming from Croke and all counties are getting another in house training session next week, will involve a lot of stuff we have already done no doubt but this is a positive and hopefully reinforce rules and the like

Just wanted to ask what the focus of the in-house training was MR2?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 28, 2023, 02:41:57 PM
And thats the fine line of it.. Plenty tackles (and remember the only legal physical tackle is shoulder to shoulder BTW) in games and if a player catches the ball, because you can tackle the ball, though not rip from possession, if he connects cleanly with the ball via his fist then play on. Contact with a player with a fist is a yellow, if seen

So would that not have applied when the Kerry keeper took mcguigan in the head with his hip mid air?

Collision and not a tackle in Joe's book by the looks of it, at the very least looking back and given the opportunity to call that again, he may have stopped it for a head injury.. Its been a very split topic, as ones at the club game last night were asking me on it, I probably would have played on if I'm being honest, that's just me.

There is a directive coming from Croke and all counties are getting another in house training session next week, will involve a lot of stuff we have already done no doubt but this is a positive and hopefully reinforce rules and the like

Lots of attention on across the neck tackles. over the shoulder tackles frontal charges black card ... There was video analysis of certain games, obviously we questioned the Kerry keepers catch and collision with the Derry forward, 90% all said foul, no one said red card, not even the Derry assessor who took the session, the other 10%, old school view, he took ball man and all and if that was your club mate winning that outcome you'd be pissed off it was blown.

I think personally after the second watch, he should have stopped play for the collision, and slowly make his way to the incident to give himself time to reflect on what the call should be, those few seconds in the heat of that game would allow him to come to a better call

straightred

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 31, 2023, 08:52:33 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 28, 2023, 02:41:57 PM

Lots of attention on across the neck tackles. over the shoulder tackles frontal charges black card ... There was video analysis of certain games, obviously we questioned the Kerry keepers catch and collision with the Derry forward, 90% all said foul, no one said red card, not even the Derry assessor who took the session, the other 10%, old school view, he took ball man and all and if that was your club mate winning that outcome you'd be pissed off it was blown.

I think personally after the second watch, he should have stopped play for the collision, and slowly make his way to the incident to give himself time to reflect on what the call should be, those few seconds in the heat of that game would allow him to come to a better call
That's exactly what he should have done. The head injury rule gave him clearance to stop the game. The point wouldn't have been scored. I think that's the part that added insult to injury for Derry.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

shawshank

As a Derry man, I can't say I am Goughs biggest fan, his inconsistency in booking players from how he treated McKaigue in the semi final for minimal contact on Cliford in particular really annoyed me. If McKaigue had of tackled Clifford in the same manner McCarthy hit a number of tackles he wouldn't have seen the last twenty minutes of the game. McKaigue will have watched yesterdays game and felt persecuted.

restorepride

Quote from: shawshank on July 31, 2023, 01:23:43 PM
As a Derry man, I can't say I am Goughs biggest fan, his inconsistency in booking players from how he treated McKaigue in the semi final for minimal contact on Cliford in particular really annoyed me. If McKaigue had of tackled Clifford in the same manner McCarthy hit a number of tackles he wouldn't have seen the last twenty minutes of the game. McKaigue will have watched yesterdays game and felt persecuted.
As a Derry man, have you got the right ref?!!

Derryman forever

Quote from: shawshank on July 31, 2023, 01:23:43 PM

Different referee.