seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on March 13, 2019, 10:16:50 AM
Quote from: sensethetone on March 13, 2019, 10:09:09 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 13, 2019, 09:44:57 AM
Quote from: Taylor on March 13, 2019, 09:32:21 AM
Quote from: trailer on March 13, 2019, 08:59:21 AM
Quote from: Taylor on March 13, 2019, 08:50:04 AM
Quote from: trailer on March 13, 2019, 08:32:21 AM
Anyone any idea if I can buy a car in NI and just drive away at it in GB?
Does anyone understand the outworkings of what they have announced this morning?

What was announced this morning trailer?

No deal brexit = no tariffs on imports in NI from ROI. But tariffs are applied into rest of GB. For example cars are subject to just over 10%.

Just another part of the clusterfuck then

Ireland would become a smugglers haven, they really haven't thought this out at all. EU knows that a no deal won't happen and they haven't blinked, surely not even the imbeciles in Westminster would face the wrath of a raging public and allow a no deal. There would be civil unrest everywhere.

If the EU were to allow tariff free trade from north to south, surely these goods would have to be of EU standard?

If the EU was to change the standard then the north have to ensure their goods to the south would be to the new EU standard also? Almost like not leaving then.

The EU will not be changing any standard requirements it would defeat the integrity of the single market.

This no deal scenario is a red herring anyway hence why there has been little planning for it by the UK government. Boris Johnson just openly indicated what their entire negotiating strategy was by saying that they intend to take it down to the 11th hour in the hope that the EU will change tack. Genius.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/12/took-tough-decision-vote-pms-brexit-deal/

Back in January, their plan had been to tough it out and wait, since only law is binding on the Government. Supporting nothing new, we believed, would ultimately mean leaving without a Deal. The EU Withdrawal Act would see to the rest. All we had to do was bide our time, ignore non-binding resolutions of the House of Commons, and presto, we would have a clean Brexit on March 29.
Of course, this wouldn't even be a 'No Deal Brexit'. Since December last year both the EU and the UK have been passing directives to protect things like freight transport between the EU and the UK, air traffic and citizens rights, so this would be a well-cushioned departure.
But since the January votes, we have been exposed to the sheer number of MPs who will do anything to stop Brexit or else tie us so closely to EU institutions that we might as well have never left. A majority of Parliament even voted to take No Deal off the table, knowing full well it would tie the Government's negotiating hands behind its back with razor wire. These Remainer MPs are ruthless.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Honestly - you may as well post something from the Beano as from the Torygraph at this stage. It's more likely to be relevant and true.

johnnycool

Quote from: yellowcard on March 13, 2019, 10:42:39 AM
As for the DUP, the business, agri and SME sector must be up in arms over their role in this whole process.

In the space of just over 12 months, the north has gone from having a position of effectively being offered a best of both worlds economic scenario to potentially being a holding shop for illegal trade into the UK.

I was in conversation with an electronic component distributor only last week and we were talking about a customer of theirs who was recently on TV talking about his product and how Brexit may impact on them. We discussed how more individual businesses haven't spoken out about it and he told me that some got a call from people within the DUP warning them that if they spoke about Brexit unfavourably then they would ensure that when it came down to getting funds from Invest NI or other Government agencies "every hurdle would be put in their way".

This lad in question is from the unionist community, would be well known in the industry and had no reason to make it up

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on March 12, 2019, 11:57:03 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 12, 2019, 10:53:22 PM
Here's what I don't understand. How come the leavers are so well organized in Parliament? They even have a name, ERG, and something of a structure and a brand going. How come the remainers can't get their sh1t together the same way? The independent group, the Lib Dems, the SNP, the others, and the remainer Tories should surely be able to get together and form a coherent group with a bit of strategy behind it. It's not like there's any point in waiting for Corbyn to show any leadership in that direction.

Corbyn is a Brexiteer as well. I'm a bit confused here. The people voted to leave. The leavers have democracy in their favour. No point having a vote if you don't respect the result. At the end of the day that is the bottom line.
There is no way Government can ignore the result of a referendum - even if that result causes problems unforeseen.
The impasse now is not something the voters factored in I suspect. Saying that if there was a second ref. I think leave would win again tbh. It's human nature to get entrenched. May would be scapegoated, and the people would be reassured likes of Boris would put EU and Ireland in their place kind of shite, and UK would leave on their own terms. That would be the spin on things imo.

The problem is that there are a dozen different types of "leave". The govt offered parliment the option to leave yesterday and it was rejected.

Either an election or a referendum with very specific options (e.g. No deal, May's deal, customs union, stay) seem like the best option at the stage imo

yellowcard

Quote from: johnnycool on March 13, 2019, 11:06:38 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 13, 2019, 10:42:39 AM
As for the DUP, the business, agri and SME sector must be up in arms over their role in this whole process.

In the space of just over 12 months, the north has gone from having a position of effectively being offered a best of both worlds economic scenario to potentially being a holding shop for illegal trade into the UK.

I was in conversation with an electronic component distributor only last week and we were talking about a customer of theirs who was recently on TV talking about his product and how Brexit may impact on them. We discussed how more individual businesses haven't spoken out about it and he told me that some got a call from people within the DUP warning them that if they spoke about Brexit unfavourably then they would ensure that when it came down to getting funds from Invest NI or other Government agencies "every hurdle would be put in their way".

This lad in question is from the unionist community, would be well known in the industry and had no reason to make it up

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. There is a lot of anger within the business community which hasn't manifested itself in many of those same individual businesses going public. As you quite rightly say, I think a lot of those same businesses are fearful of any negative consequences of speaking out, either unspoken or in the situation you refer to, actual threats of withdrawing potential funding.   

seafoid

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2019, 10:57:33 AM
Honestly - you may as well post something from the Beano as from the Torygraph at this stage. It's more likely to be relevant and true.

None of the MPs who write in the torygraph voted for Brexit yesterday
They are nuts

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on March 13, 2019, 12:01:32 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2019, 10:57:33 AM

None of the MPs who write in the torygraph voted for Brexit yesterday
They are nuts

Exactly. Their headline a few days back about a majority favouring a no-deal Brexit confirmed that they reside in the genre of fiction.

Insane Bolt

Everything rosy according to Hammond😂......strong and stable replaced by 'solid foundations'
Any sign of those unicorns?😂

RedHand88

Anyone else's insurance telling them they won't be covered if they drive to the South in the event of a no deal? I've been told I need to apply for a green card for every single trip, and that it takes a few weeks to get one through.

bennydorano

If May's deal is dead in the water as would appear so, it surely increases the chances of this sequence of events -
- 3rd attempt at saving her deal fails
- May resigns
- New Tory Leader
- Election
- 1 year extension to Article 50 to give the new PM time to get a 'new deal'.(would need to pre-empt some of the previous steps)

Mainly thinking this way after listening to Peter Mandelson and Andrew Neill last night, EU elections in May, there's a whole cyclical change of the top EU Jobs that will not then take place until the Autumn (Junker for a start).

bennydorano

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 13, 2019, 01:16:24 PM
Anyone else's insurance telling them they won't be covered if they drive to the South in the event of a no deal? I've been told I need to apply for a green card for every single trip, and that it takes a few weeks to get one through.
Renewed my insurance recently with Tesco, they sent us this in letter form to say we're covered in this eventuality.

Insane Bolt

Yes, need the green card if I'm leaving the mainland😜

RedHand88

Quote from: bennydorano on March 13, 2019, 01:18:17 PM
Renewed my insurance recently with Tesco, they sent us this in letter form to say we're covered in this eventuality.

Seems I need a new insurance company in that case.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on March 13, 2019, 01:16:40 PM
If May's deal is dead in the water as would appear so, it surely increases the chances of this sequence of events -
- 3rd attempt at saving her deal fails
- May resigns
- New Tory Leader
- Election
- 1 year extension to Article 50 to give the new PM time to get a 'new deal'.(would need to pre-empt some of the previous steps)

Mainly thinking this way after listening to Peter Mandelson and Andrew Neill last night, EU elections in May, there's a whole cyclical change of the top EU Jobs that will not then take place until the Autumn (Junker for a start).

Carole Cadwalladr
@carolecadwalla
ยท
39m
It's a done deal. Banks & Farage have sewn up Italy. Here's
@patrickwintour
pointing out same re Poland. Hungary's a no brainer. We will not got extension to article 50. MPs need to realise that today. It's a fantasy. And just 16 days till we crash out
Quote Tweet
Patrick Wintour
@patrickwintour
Number of Tory MPs went to see members of Polish governing party last week in Warsaw - broadly on same errand, namely to block Article 50 extension.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 13, 2019, 01:23:23 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 13, 2019, 01:18:17 PM
You will need a green card in the event of a no deal, you won't need to reapply for every trip, it should cover you for your insurance period.
Seems I need a new insurance company in that case.