USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

McCarron's first Tyrone start was on K Donaghey v Kerry in Tralee in Feb 08. He went off injured that day but did ok. It was Dromore's 07 championship win that got him in M Harte's window.

Main Street

Quote from: The Konica on July 18, 2010, 03:48:09 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 18, 2010, 03:44:13 PM
Surgical operation by Tyrone. They broke Monaghan utterly and comprehensively.

I blame the Prunty pitch.

Serious question though Main street - Where did youse get it wrong today?
Do you think there was a small bit of complacency or not the same urgency coming into this game, or was a fear factor of Tyrone?
Who knows,  but it was not complacency. I suppose there will be a lot of speculation about all that ball fumbling which Tyrone did not seem to suffer from.
But even in the minutes silence, Tyrone looked superior :)
Right from the throw-in you could see that Tyrone had this game in the bag.
A Monaghan at the top of their game, taking the opportunities that were there for them, might have made the game interesting, to be within 3 or 4 points of Tyrone at the end. Defense and midfield were okay, but making headway through Tyrone's defense was like trying to run through waist high mud. Tyrone's defending was for the most part supreme. They made Monaghan look inept and sucked any belief out of them. It takes a very good and disciplined team to that so clinically and so thoroughly. Tyrone are a football event.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Not a great spectacle but a good win for Tyrone, showed they were indeed capable of lifting their performance to a higher level than we saw against Antrim or Down. As Main Street said it was a magnificent defensive effort and the recalled lads did very well. Young McCarron more than justified his inclusion too. We would need more from the forwards though if Tyrone are to have a real tilt at the All-Ireland, far too many wides and really should have had Monaghan put away long before Colm Cavanagh got the goal. Plenty to work on but great to have another Ulster title. Have some sympathy for Monaghan who didnt do themselves justice at all. Even allowing for Tyrone being so strong defensively Monaghan are capable of much better than that, really woeful peformance by them and surprisingly flat all round at Clones.

Bud Wiser

And ye wonder why attendances are falling at GAA games??  Ye nordies will probably get a few days talking about this Final but to me it was the greatest load of tripe I have ever watched.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on July 18, 2010, 04:32:55 PM
Who knows,  but it was not complacency. I suppose there will be a lot of speculation about all that ball fumbling which Tyrone did not seem to suffer from.
A Monaghan at the top of their game, taking the opportunities that were there for them, might have made the game interesting, to be within 3 or 4 points of Tyrone at the end. Defense and midfield were okay, but making headway through Tyrone's defense was like trying to run through waist high mud. Tyrone's defending was for the most part supreme. They made Monaghan look inept and sucked any belief out of them. It takes a very good and disciplined team to that so clinically and so thoroughly. Tyrone are a football event.
Monaghan will take a lot from this. Going into the game on the back of two great high scoring wins and having shown all their armoury to m harte in advance allowed him to devise his gameplan to shut Monaghan down.
Apart from the last 10 mins where tyrone scored a bit more to put a bit of gloss on the scoreline, Monaghan kept the red arses from scoring much themselves. While it was a low scoring affair, it was far from puke football with the speed, physicality and effort from both.
I'd fancy Monaghan to beat any of the qualifier winners now - apart from maybe Cork. Could go a long way yet !

Hope JP Mone isnt too badly inj.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 18, 2010, 05:04:19 PM
And ye wonder why attendances are falling at GAA games??  Ye nordies will probably get a few days talking about this Final but to me it was the greatest load of tripe I have ever watched.
Each to their own Bud. IMO while it wasnt a scorefest, there was superb skills on view. Catching, kicking, blocking , defending and team passing - only the shooting wasnt great, but prob down to defenses pressurising the shooter !

magickingdom

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 18, 2010, 05:04:19 PM

and your point? sh1te football all over the country lately. try watching the british open today and youll get more tripe

The Konica

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 18, 2010, 05:06:29 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 18, 2010, 04:32:55 PM
Monaghan will take a lot from this. Going into the game on the back of two great high scoring wins and having shown all their armoury to m harte in advance allowed him to devise his gameplan to shut Monaghan down.
Apart from the last 10 mins where tyrone scored a bit more to put a bit of gloss on the scoreline, Monaghan kept the red arses from scoring much themselves. While it was a low scoring affair, it was far from puke football with the speed, physicality and effort from both.
I'd fancy Monaghan to beat any of the qualifier winners now - apart from maybe Cork. Could go a long way yet !

Hope JP Mone isnt too badly inj.

Stalking you Lynchboy!!   :)
I think that will have taken alot out of Monaghan. I think they thought they had a real chance at it this year.
Might be harder than that to pick up the pieces?
I think Monaghan are a far better team than they showed today, but after seeing Armagh, I don't think we know how good they really are.

Schkite

I would say that's JP's last appearance in a county jersey, and it's a great shame if he goes out like that. We're out again in a week and the way things are going we'd be doing well to trouble those qualifier teams coming through. JP's injury looked like a reoccurance of his knee problem which has troubled him for a while, and as I said before I think this would be his last year for the county.

On the game, well what can you say? Absolute disaster for Monaghan, every possible thing that could go wrong did. We made silly mistakes from beginning to end, players were slipping all over the place, taking the wrong option the majority of times, and so on. As the game wore on we struggled to break down Tyrone and work it into their third of the pitch, the wrong ball was going in time after time but the forwards weren't making runs and looking for it(although this was also the case for most of the game). Tyrone just suffocated us and squeezed the life out of us, it was impossible to claw our way back into the game. We just had no answer for it and as the game went into it's final stages Tyrone added the extra few scores to put gloss on the scoreline. Disasterous also from the point of view of the injuries picked up. As I say JP's didn't look good, Duffy seemed to hurt his leg again in a late kick-out and Hughes also looked to go over on his ankle but played on. Doubtful if Vinny will be back in time by the looks of it, there's alot to worry about with the next game in just a week. We will have our work cut out for us against any of the four teams at this rate, but knowing our luck I'm expecting Cork away.

Bud Wiser

I was watching the British open and it was more exciting than the Ulster Final. The Rossies/Sligo is the game to watch if you want to see skill.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

The Konica

Quote from: Schkite on July 18, 2010, 05:20:23 PM
I would say that's JP's last appearance in a county jersey, and it's a great shame if he goes out like that. We're out again in a week and the way things are going we'd be doing well to trouble those qualifier teams coming through. JP's injury looked like a reoccurance of his knee problem which has troubled him for a while, and as I said before I think this would be his last year for the county.

On the game, well what can you say? Absolute disaster for Monaghan, every possible thing that could go wrong did. We made silly mistakes from beginning to end, players were slipping all over the place, taking the wrong option the majority of times, and so on. As the game wore on we struggled to break down Tyrone and work it into their third of the pitch, the wrong ball was going in time after time but the forwards weren't making runs and looking for it(although this was also the case for most of the game). Tyrone just suffocated us and squeezed the life out of us, it was impossible to claw our way back into the game. We just had no answer for it and as the game went into it's final stages Tyrone added the extra few scores to put gloss on the scoreline. Disasterous also from the point of view of the injuries picked up. As I say JP's didn't look good, Duffy seemed to hurt his leg again in a late kick-out and Hughes also looked to go over on his ankle but played on. Doubtful if Vinny will be back in time by the looks of it, there's alot to worry about with the next game in just a week. We will have our work cut out for us against any of the four teams at this rate, but knowing our luck I'm expecting Cork away.

I still can't figure out what went wrong for Monaghan?

Schkite

Quote from: The Konica on July 18, 2010, 05:22:11 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 18, 2010, 05:20:23 PM

I still can't figure out what went wrong for Monaghan?

Neither can I, I really thought we had a chance today but that was atrocious. I think Tyrone just went about their business efficiently and deployed their gameplan to perfection, and we had no answer for it. Certainly seems now that the two big wins over Armagh and Fermanagh were of no help to us today, we haven't been properly tested before this, as someone else said we'd probably have been better off coming in under the radar after scraping past the two teams. I was amazed at how many little mistakes we made, looked like nerves but that I wouldn't understand at all, that's the last thing I thought would happen. You'd think this was the team's first Ulster final when almost all of them played 3 years ago.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 18, 2010, 05:20:29 PM
I was watching the British open and it was more exciting than the Ulster Final. The Rossies/Sligo is the game to watch if you want to see skill.
the golf open ??!!!
sure thats not even real sport !
until they start hitting 4 irons straight under a challenge from a shoulder charge, then I'll admire their 'skill'.
John daly - what an 'athlete' !!  ;) :D

even a bad game of football is better than most other sports - especially golf or soccer - including the world cup !
imo

sandwiches_in_the_boot

McCarron was outstanding today and it'd be hard to look past him for MOTM. Gormley was also excellent as was Colm Cavanagh. Maybe Packie should get it for those two unreal saves. The defence was completely outstanding, choking out Monaghan and suffocated them at every opportunity.

Still the wasted opportunities for Tyrone will be a concern against sterner opposition, but with such a strong bench and the likes of CC and McCarron coming good at the right time things are looking good for Tyrone this year. Dare I suggest another Senior/Minor double?

Also, would it have killed yis to do a lap of honour before firing another Ango-Celt in the kit bag and into the back of the bus?
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Schkite on July 18, 2010, 05:32:32 PM
Neither can I, I really thought we had a chance today but that was atrocious. I think Tyrone just went about their business efficiently and deployed their gameplan to perfection, and we had no answer for it. Certainly seems now that the two big wins over Armagh and Fermanagh were of no help to us today, we haven't been properly tested before this, as someone else said we'd probably have been better off coming in under the radar after scraping past the two teams. I was amazed at how many little mistakes we made, looked like nerves but that I wouldn't understand at all, that's the last thing I thought would happen. You'd think this was the team's first Ulster final when almost all of them played 3 years ago.
those were your downfall imo - it gave m harte all his info on how to stop Monaghan and what their gameplan/key players etc was