recreational football??

Started by lawnseed, July 13, 2010, 10:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hardy on July 14, 2010, 01:58:17 PM
Quote from: beer baron on July 13, 2010, 10:42:41 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on July 13, 2010, 10:14:46 PM
this phenomenom is doing the rounds at the minute a is proving very popular at club level. one solo one bounce then you have to pass, and its non contact so fewer injuries in theory. i met a man whose in his early 50s and playing, he reckons i'm mad not to get stuck in! anyone had a go? whats the story? i simply could not afford to loss time at work through injury or cardiac arrest. do you train for this or just turn up i wouldnt be the fittest wouldnt want some 50yr old roasting me.. ::)

Sure thats would junior b's is for,well for me anyway!

Maybe, but this is not the Junior B I know:
Quoteits non contact so fewer injuries
junior B is no longer the football we remember Hardy.
Its full of kids and anyone approaching 30 is seen to be a dinosaur and stands out like a sore thumb in a game !
This is true in Dublin for a lot of teams and divisions, and from what I am hearing is also now par for the course in Meath, kildare and elsewhere !
Long gone are the days of the useless but violent junior B 34 year old corner back !

passedit

Have to say I agree with CP on the too serious bit. There has been a fair bit of boxing in this over the last couple of years as well as some serious training by some of the teams.

Masters anger as GAA tells golden oldies to call it a day

By Colm Keys

Friday July 16 2010

The GAA's masters football competition has been shelved, to the dismay of many former top inter-county footballers, because it has become too serious.

The masters, a competition tailored for Over-40s, has officially been suspended by the CCCC, under whose remit it falls. But the GAA are looking to integrate it into a new social and recreational games model which is being rolled out by a new division of the association, headed by Pat Daly.
Social and recreational Gaelic games was piloted last month -- the rules are modified to make it non-contact, allow a clean pick and just two plays of the ball before release. It is envisaged that the scheme will interest those who want to play a less competitive brand of hurling and football.

But masters footballers are up in arms over the move to pull the plug on their competition at this stage.

Ger Butler, the man responsible for organising the Mayo team which has been managed by former inter-county player Kenneth Mortimer, says the GAA have yet to give a proper reason for suspending it.

Mayo won their first game last week against Galway and were training on Tuesday for their next game against Sligo when word came through that the competition was under suspension.

Butler admits masters football has been "teetering on the brink" for some time because of a lack of commitment from the GAA at central level.

"They just don't want it and that has been obvious for some years now," he said.

Down's Ross Carr and Mickey Linden, Dublin's Paul Curran, Joe McNally, John O'Leary and Jack Sheedy, Wicklow's Kevin O'Brien, Derry's Joe Brolly, Donegal's Brian Murray and Pat Fallon, Peter Ford, Liam McHale and Anthony McGarry have all played masters football.

Butler claims that roadblocks have been put up regularly in recent years to try to put it out of existence.

"There have been issues with insurance. Dublin players paid their own insurance this year, no problem, when it came up. They were happy to do that. Last year we paid for our own All-Ireland medals when we won it. Again, no problem," said Butler.

"There is competitive blood in all of us. Many of those involved still play junior football with our clubs. Out of a Mayo squad of 36, some 34 coach Gaelic football at some level. Now they want us to perhaps play a game that we aren't coaching, that we didn't grow up with and don't play.

"I'd say 95pc of those playing masters football will not continue to play if we are integrated into social and recreational games."

Butler points to rugby which caters for 'tag rugby' and also competitive Over-35s games.

He said incidents on masters pitches have been rare, denying it has become too serious.

"From talking to one GAA official recently, that's the vibe I got. We sent a motion to Congress from Mayo last April asking the GAA to recognise masters football but it never made the clár."

- Colm Keys

Irish Independent
Don't Panic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 21, 2010, 12:22:30 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 14, 2010, 01:58:17 PM
Quote from: beer baron on July 13, 2010, 10:42:41 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on July 13, 2010, 10:14:46 PM
this phenomenom is doing the rounds at the minute a is proving very popular at club level. one solo one bounce then you have to pass, and its non contact so fewer injuries in theory. i met a man whose in his early 50s and playing, he reckons i'm mad not to get stuck in! anyone had a go? whats the story? i simply could not afford to loss time at work through injury or cardiac arrest. do you train for this or just turn up i wouldnt be the fittest wouldnt want some 50yr old roasting me.. ::)

Sure thats would junior b's is for,well for me anyway!

Maybe, but this is not the Junior B I know:
Quoteits non contact so fewer injuries
junior B is no longer the football we remember Hardy.
Its full of kids and anyone approaching 30 is seen to be a dinosaur and stands out like a sore thumb in a game !
This is true in Dublin for a lot of teams and divisions, and from what I am hearing is also now par for the course in Meath, kildare and elsewhere !
Long gone are the days of the useless but violent junior B 34 year old corner back !

LB. I think it's the roasting element that Hardy is more worried about  ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Dunno about the Masters being taken too seriously, certainly in some counties. There was one lad from Erin Rovers in Offaly, who never played for Offaly in his life that was picked to play on the Masters team. He was delighted with himself, awful proud. (Which is as good a reason as any to keep it).

Anyhow, they were playing Laois, and our hero was picked number 12. A lad from my own club was playing corner forward.

Straight from the throw in, the Laois wing back took off down the field, tapped over a point, and put Laois ahead. Our hero stood back on the '40, hands on hips.

The corner forward from our club said 'John Joe, follow that lad up the field', but was rewarded with a Cantona like shrug.

Couple of minutes later from a kickout, Laois won it and the wing back took off again, to the absolute indifference of the man from Erin Rovers. The half back took it, played a one two with the centre forward and tapped over another great score.

By this time, our corner forward had had enough.

'For f**k's Sake John Joe, get off your arse and follow that lad!!!'

John Joe turned around. 'Doyler, what number's on my back?'

Our lad was puzzled for a minute. '12' says he, 'what's that got to do with it?'.

'It's his f**king job to mark me!'.

Hound

Quote from: passedit on July 21, 2010, 12:37:41 PM
Have to say I agree with CP on the too serious bit. There has been a fair bit of boxing in this over the last couple of years as well as some serious training by some of the teams.

Don't see anything wrong with lads taking it serious and doing plenty of training. So long as its reffed properly and suspensions handed out for red cards.