Tyrone v Down USFC Semi Final Sat 19th June

Started by Fuzzman, May 25, 2010, 04:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eiled in the bushes

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 16, 2010, 09:15:51 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 16, 2010, 08:55:28 PM
I think you're right TD, especially if you stick to the Terrace!

Can't make the match myself due to prior engagement so had to use the opt out option on my season ticket. Very disappointed, haven't missed a game since Dublin QF in 08.

Hopefully it will be a similar performance to that one. Yeah terrace prices arent to bad, think they should have went £20 max for the seats or even £15 and try to get more people in.
dont be so miserable,pay the price and enjoy the game.are yous all crying farmers by any chance? ;)
get some metal in your life

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: western exile on June 16, 2010, 01:33:27 PM
My guess at the Down team

1. Brendan McVeigh

2   Brendan McArdle   3   Declan Rooney   4   Damian Rafferty

5   Kevin McKernan    6   James Colgan   7   Conor Garvey

8   Ambrose Rodgers   9   Kalum King

10   Conor Maginn    11   Martin Clarke    12     Daniel Hughes

13   Mark Poland   14   Dan Gordon    15       Brendan Coulter

Possibly  Darren O'Hagan  will play at the expense of either Kevin McKernan or Declan Rooney

I reakon the 15 lads named above will definatly start but i can see a few positional changes in the forward line. Leaves Down with plenty of options on the bench too.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: eiled in the bushes on June 16, 2010, 10:55:29 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 16, 2010, 09:15:51 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 16, 2010, 08:55:28 PM
I think you're right TD, especially if you stick to the Terrace!

Can't make the match myself due to prior engagement so had to use the opt out option on my season ticket. Very disappointed, haven't missed a game since Dublin QF in 08.

Hopefully it will be a similar performance to that one. Yeah terrace prices arent to bad, think they should have went £20 max for the seats or even £15 and try to get more people in.
dont be so miserable,pay the price and enjoy the game.are yous all crying farmers by any chance? ;)

Personally don't have a problem paying the prices but it does seem to be putting some people off.

Zapatista

f**k.. wrong thread :D

Mourne Rover

Western Exile's suggested 15 may be quite close to the final version. McKernan is a fine player who has not done himself justice in our last two games (against Donegal and Armagh), and there is a case for moving Rooney into the half back line. Starting young O'Hagan at corner back would be a big gamble, but he looked the part after coming on in Ballybofey.

Incidentally, O'Neill's team from the 2008 game in Newry in the earlier post had Dan Gordon at full back when it was obviously Dan McCartan who played there. Big Dan was at midfield, Ambrose moved to wing half foward and Fegan did not play.

ONeill

Not sure about Dooher starting, but Mickey likes his figureheads on the field from the first whistle. Tommy McGuigan mustn't be far from the first 15 - think he scored 0-6 from the bench v Down in '08. I'd like to see Peter Harte in there from the start to see what he's capable of.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: ONeill on June 16, 2010, 11:51:30 PM
Not sure about Dooher starting, but Mickey likes his figureheads on the field from the first whistle. Tommy McGuigan mustn't be far from the first 15 - think he scored 0-6 from the bench v Down in '08. I'd like to see Peter Harte in there from the start to see what he's capable of.

Tommy seems to be a confidence player though. If he can get a point after his first or second attempt, he could be worth
a handful of points. If he doesnt, his head seems to drop & you could take him off after 20 minutes.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Fuzzman

I'm not trying to be disprespectful to Down but I think we need to be getting our younger or less experience players game time in these early games.
McCarron & Red Sean need game time if they're to be used later in the year or next year

I'd agree we should START quite a lot of the newer lads and have Dooher, Conor G, McCUllagh & Tommy to come back in 2nd half
If you do it the other way round it there's more pressure on the young lads to come in to SAVE a game

What's people's thoughts on the result?
I'd be worried enough about that Down FF line and depends how well Justy would handle big Dan and whoever marks Benny the Tyrone fan.

If we can get enough possession in the middle third or from turnovers then I'd be quite confident of a reasonable victory but I think we could see a few interesting team selections tonight.

Rois

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 17, 2010, 10:15:14 AM

I'd agree we should START quite a lot of the newer lads and have Dooher, Conor G, McCUllagh & Tommy to come back in 2nd half
If you do it the other way round it there's more pressure on the young lads to come in to SAVE a game

I see what you're saying but I can't fully agree.  I'd prefer it if the game didn't need to be saved, and if that means starting Dooher or McCullagh (reservations about the other two) because they're the best option to win the game, then start them.  Blooding new players is fine if they are good enough to replace the old hands.  I wouldn't be risking complacency at any level of the championship by throwing on a second-best option knowing that the first-best is waiting to come in if it all goes wrong.  That seems dangerous to me.

Fuzzman

Dangerous indeed Rois but its the only way to bring yer new crop along and not be like Armagh were you keep the old guard for as long as you can and then BANG they're all gone together and its back to rebuidling from scratch. But its all opinions.

In Fairness Mickey has done this quite well since he took over with a lot of the established lads being eased in without a big clearout.

I was chatting to someone just now who told me Enda is back in the squad.
Can anyone else confirm this or have I just missed this news.

Here's what the BBC are saying.

Tyrone v Down (Sat)

Ulster SFC semi-final
Venue: Casement Park Date: Saturday, 19 June Throw-in: 1715 BST Coverage: Live on BBC2 NI, BBC Radio Ulster MW and the BBC Sport Website

Ronan Sexton will miss the clash with Tyrone in west Belfast
Down will be without Ronan Sexton for the Ulster SFC semi-final after the forward was banned for eight weeks.
Sexton was sent-off in a challenge game against Laois on 16 May and reported for "inflicting injury recklessly by striking with the hand".
He initially decided to request a hearing but has now told the the CHC that he will not contest the ban.
Sexton misses the Casement Park semi-final but if Down win he will be available for the decider.
Meanwhile, Ambrose Rogers and Aidan Carr look likely to be available for the Mourne team on Saturday.
Both missed the win over Donegal because of injury but are back in action and may play in a Down League game between their clubs on Tuesday.
Daniel McCartan remains suspended for the Mourne County while Ronan Murtagh (hamstring) is a fitness doubt.
Conor Gormley is available for Tyrone are recovering from a knee injury.
Gormley missed Tyrone's opening win over Antrim after being injured in a club game last month.
Enda McGinley returned to club duty as a substitute for Errigal Ciaran at the weekend but he remains out of the intercounty picture for the moment.

omagh_gael

He's definitely back playing for Errigal Fuzzman but not sure if he's back in the Tyrone squad.

barelegs

Tyrone team - McMenamin out, Gormley in.  Davey Harte out, Peter Harte in. Rest unchanged

tyrone86

http://www.tyronegaa.ie/2010/06/tyrone-senior-football-team/

1  Pascal McConnell – An Baile Nua
2  Martin Swift – Coill an Chlochair
3  Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
4  Dermot Carlin – Coill an Chlochair
5  Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
6  Conor Gormley – An Charraig Mhór
7  Philip Jordan – An Mhaigh
8  Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
9  Kevin Hughes – Cill Íseal
10  Brian Dooher – Clann na nGael
11  Sean Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
12  Joe McMahon – An Omaigh
13  Martin Penrose – Achadh Uí Aráin
14  Stephen O'Neill – Clann na nGael
15  Owen Mulligan – An Chorra Chriochach

16  John Devine – Aireagal Chiaráin
17  Kyle Coney – Ard Bó
18  Mark Donnelly – An Charraig Mhór
19  Davy Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
20  Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mhór
21  Colm McCullagh – An Droim Mhór
22  Brian McGuigan – Ard Bó
23  Tommy McGuigan – Ard Bó
24  Niall McKenna – Domhnach Mór
25  Ryan McMenamin – An Droim Mhór
26  Ronan McNabb – An Droim Mhór
27  Ryan Mellon – An Mhaigh
28  Raymond Mulgrew – An Chorra Chriochach
29  Sean O'Neill – An Droim Mhór
30  P J Quinn – Baile na Móna

ONeill

Makes for an experienced bench away! Glad to see P Harte get the nod.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.