Muineachán V Ard Mhaca USFC

Started by Main Street, May 16, 2010, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 07, 2010, 04:26:52 PM
I just want to take back what I said (much) earlier on this thread about the sending off. I don't think any connection was made with the elbow - think it came up after impact. I think Woods nose got busted because his head kind of buckled on impact and his nose hit the top of Mallon's shoulder or collar bone area. Mallons two feet were on the ground at time of impact so it mightnot actually have been a free. It looked bad because Woods wasn't expecting it and had only one foot on the ground. May not have been shoulder to shoulder completely but was defo hip to hip and the rules say "side to side" I think.

That's just my take for what its worth.
I think you are close.
Mallon went to clatter Woods fairly, but he was reckless. Woods had jumped for the ball and just about landed and turned his head when his face was hit by Mallon's upper arm/shoulder.
Mallon has mistimed, the responsibility for that is with Mallon, not Woods.
Not reckless enough to get a red card but I can see why the ref regarded it as a red.

If it was Dessie Mone had done the clattering on Stevie Wonder's face, the Armagh boys would be spitting bile for 2 years, at least.
Us Monaghan folk are much more reasoned and forgiving.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on June 07, 2010, 04:35:24 PM
Sludden doesn't need any directives from CP to fcuk up a game. He's been consistent in that regard since someone
gave him a whistle.
Agreed.  I am glad a Tyronie said it first
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Main Street

Is Sludden being made a scapegoat for Armagh's awful performance from 15 minutes onwards?
I think you are deluding yourselves.

bennydorano

Firstly, well done to Monaghan, hopefully they will go on to win it.

Obviously very disappointing, I do hope we dont throw the baby out with the bathwater thou, we got a lesson yesterday (sending off very much contirbuting) hopefully we'll learn from it.  I really dont think there's a need for panic changes thou, a few months back we were hoping for tangible development and weren't expecting too much, the victory over Derry and league campaign infalted expectations wildly.  We are still essentially a new developing team, a kind draw in the qualifiers is crucial but i'd put money on us getting donegal and that's the sort of game we dont want, I think we need a soft one tbh to get the confidence up and momentum started.

I've never really been convinced about Lavery but it'll be him and Toner from now on (when fit), Vernon will have to take his HF role like it or lump it.  AK has had one half of a good game all year (1st v Derry) and the continual postive reviews have baffled me.  No harm to Mal Mackin, but he's not up for it, one good game in every four seems to keep on the radar and he has to be a casualty.  I thought F mo was woeful yesterday but he cant be dropped for one bad game, it would obviously be a big help if we could get Ronan Clarke back from what I have heard he's hoping for a mid-july return (if we are still about). 

Team I would like to see the next day:
Hearty
Mallon, Donaghy, Shannon or McKeown
Duffy, CMcK, F MO
Toner Lavery
Nippy, Vernon, MOR
Henderson, Stevie, J Clarke

Ulick

Belfast Tele today says Clarke is back in plaster and will be out for the rest of the year.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Main Street on June 07, 2010, 07:45:59 PM
Is Sludden being made a scapegoat for Armagh's awful performance from 15 minutes onwards?
I think you are deluding yourselves.
I didn't say anything of the sort MS.  I just agreed with a Tyronie who said
QuoteSludden doesn't need any directives from CP to fcuk up a game. He's been consistent in that regard since someone
gave him a whistle.

Have you never heard of this man's reputation as a ref before yesterday?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Cde

There was a lot of happy people around Clonoe and Coalisland when it was announced that Sludden was doing this match. He was supposed to be doing their match.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Cde on June 07, 2010, 08:03:15 PM
There was a lot of happy people around Clonoe and Coalisland when it was announced that Sludden was doing this match. He was supposed to be doing their match.

You can say that again. Probably would have finished 7 a side >:(
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

magpie seanie

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 07, 2010, 07:28:49 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 07, 2010, 04:26:52 PM
I just want to take back what I said (much) earlier on this thread about the sending off. I don't think any connection was made with the elbow - think it came up after impact. I think Woods nose got busted because his head kind of buckled on impact and his nose hit the top of Mallon's shoulder or collar bone area. Mallons two feet were on the ground at time of impact so it mightnot actually have been a free. It looked bad because Woods wasn't expecting it and had only one foot on the ground. May not have been shoulder to shoulder completely but was defo hip to hip and the rules say "side to side" I think.

That's just my take for what its worth.

I've changed my mind a couple of times with it. At the match I thought it definitely wasn't a red. Watching the Sunday Game last night I thought the ref might have had a case but I've looked at it a couple of times on iplayer and I agree with Seanie's analysis. It was a shoulder, not an elbow. He didn't catch him square in the shoulder (though he fully intended to) so yellow card at most. What's so frustrating is that Trevor Mortimer did the exact same thing on Saturday night and got a yellow.

I think Trevor Mortimer's one was a lot worse - it was straigh into Harrison's chest so never had a chance of being a fair charge.

Thanks to cornerback and OverThePostsisawide for the rule clarification. I'm usually up to date on the rules and would criticise others for not being so my humble apologies. I've a bit of reading to do it seems!!!!

Logan

pintsofguinness

Quote from: INDIANA on June 07, 2010, 01:58:36 PM
Quote from: maddog on June 07, 2010, 12:02:07 PM
Quote from: Orior on June 07, 2010, 11:31:58 AM
On the positive side for Armagh:

1. Hearty's kickouts were good, he had no chance with the goal, and he saved a point by catching the ball on top of the crossbar. Well done Paul.

If you are looking for another positive i thought Duffy was excellent.

Jamie Clarke looks class as well. A footballer as well. Not a bodybuilder.

second that
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Logan

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 07, 2010, 09:35:13 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on June 07, 2010, 01:58:36 PM
Quote from: maddog on June 07, 2010, 12:02:07 PM
Quote from: Orior on June 07, 2010, 11:31:58 AM
On the positive side for Armagh:

1. Hearty's kickouts were good, he had no chance with the goal, and he saved a point by catching the ball on top of the crossbar. Well done Paul.

If you are looking for another positive i thought Duffy was excellent.

Jamie Clarke looks class as well. A footballer as well. Not a bodybuilder.

second that
Bodybuilder is a word I heard a few times since Sunday

What worked against Derry (strength and size) didn't work much against monaghan

borderfox

Well done Monaghan you totally deserved the win and I hope you win Ulster.

From an Armagh perspective lets hope we draw a couple of Handy games in the qualifiers (similar to Meath last year) and build up a bit of momentum, judging by yesterdays  performance we will be in trouble if we draw any of the big teams in the draw (Mayo,Kildare)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

muppet

Quote from: borderfox on June 07, 2010, 10:26:49 PM

From an Armagh perspective lets hope we draw a couple of Handy games in the qualifiers (similar to Meath last year) and build up a bit of momentum, judging by yesterdays  performance we will be in trouble if we draw any of the big teams in the draw (Mayo,Kildare)

I wouldn't fancy our chances, even if we played ye in Inisturk.
MWWSI 2017

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: muppet on June 07, 2010, 10:30:22 PM
Quote from: borderfox on June 07, 2010, 10:26:49 PM

I wouldn't fancy our chances, even if we played ye in Inisturk.

It'd be a great boost for the winner. I'd say they're two fairly evenly matched teams, Mayo would be slight favourites. Maybe a big win is just what either would need to get confidence going though I always maintain that you want as easy draw as possible in every round. Winning 5 weeks in a row is a difficult task.

Armagh Mayo would probably be in Roscommon or Cavan?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead