Started by Hardy, July 20, 2008, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Tubberman on July 31, 2015, 03:21:49 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 31, 2015, 03:13:13 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2015, 01:18:38 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 30, 2015, 11:51:02 PM
Quote from: Ard-Rí on July 30, 2015, 08:14:09 PM
The North Meath clubs seem set to vote against Mick O'Dowd from what I hear. A perceived lack of balance in the geographical and divisional spread of players on the panel partly responsible. There seems to be general feeling that he should step down amongst the supporters as well. Support for him has rallied somewhat since the Westmeath game, but personally I would be surprised if he survives. I don't even know which outcome is preferable though.  It might have helped him if Westmeath could have put up a decent show in the rest of the championship, but it wasn't to be.

Wha? Are you serious?
Not that I lie awake at night worrying about the state of football in your county but that is crazy.
The crazy thing though is 'the perceived lack of balance'. Who is perceiving what and why should there be a balance?

Isn't it a bit like what you were talking about re: underage footballers in Mayo getting on county panels?

Exactly. Not sure if its still the same - I've largely distanced myself from underage at this stage - but minor selection was a joke.
There was a selector for each division (north, south, east and west) and it appeared each had a quota of players to choose from his division.
I ll give you an example. Patrick Harte never played minor although he was good enough to be a panellist for 2 years and was easily the best midfielder in the county in his last year. He couldn t have been overlooked either because his club was winning things. But the north selector picked a midfielder from his own club ( who predictably never amounted to much) and the other midfielders came from the other divisions. That's what you get with balance.
Ronan McGarrity was similarly left out the previous year. We could have had a minor midfield of Gavin Duffy and Ronan in 99 I think it was? But 2 lads from the same club would never do.

Not doubting your main point, but in 99 the other midfielder was James Gill who was a fine underage player and went on to be a decent senior player. Also, I was under the impression McGarrity didn't play much football until Liam McHale coaxed from the bball court to the pitch in 2004!?

Apologies to Meath posters for derailing your thread, us Mayo lads just love grabbin' what's yours don't we

McGarrity wasn't a prominent underage player at minor level anyway, I remember playing against Ballina and they were average without Duffy (who was a serious machine)

Ard-Rí

@lynchbhoy - If you think that was a hissy fit you need your eyes tested. I just outlined the argument as it is being put forward.

As to whether O'Dowd could have done more, I personally think his game management was nothing short of appalling this year. If there's any stand-out reason to get rid of him it has to be the ineptitude displayed from the line in the games against Laois in the league and Westmeath in the championship. The fact that he doesn't know his team is also very worrying. I tend to favour opening the position to candidates again, simply on the basis that a fresh start is more likely to re-invigorate the team than limping on in the hope things get better. However, O'Dowd deserves credit for a progressive approach and his attempt to build a team that  could win playing positive open football. It's hardly an open & shut case anyway.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Jinxy

The North Meath clubs seem set to vote against Mick O'Dowd from what I hear. A perceived lack of balance in the geographical and divisional spread of players on the panel partly responsible. There seems to be general feeling that he should step down amongst the supporters as well. Support for him has rallied somewhat since the Westmeath game, but personally I would be surprised if he survives. I don't even know which outcome is preferable though.  It might have helped him if Westmeath could have put up a decent show in the rest of the championship, but it wasn't to be.

Wha? Are you serious?
Not that I lie awake at night worrying about the state of football in your county but that is crazy.
The crazy thing though is 'the perceived lack of balance'. Who is perceiving what and why should there be a balance?

Isn't it a bit like what you were talking about re: underage footballers in Mayo getting on county panels?

Exactly. Not sure if its still the same - I've largely distanced myself from underage at this stage - but minor selection was a joke.
There was a selector for each division (north, south, east and west) and it appeared each had a quota of players to choose from his division.
I ll give you an example. Patrick Harte never played minor although he was good enough to be a panellist for 2 years and was easily the best midfielder in the county in his last year. He couldn t have been overlooked either because his club was winning things. But the north selector picked a midfielder from his own club ( who predictably never amounted to much) and the other midfielders came from the other divisions. That's what you get with balance.
Ronan McGarrity was similarly left out the previous year. We could have had a minor midfield of Gavin Duffy and Ronan in 99 I think it was? But 2 lads from the same club would never do.

Not doubting your main point, but in 99 the other midfielder was James Gill who was a fine underage player and went on to be a decent senior player. Also, I was under the impression McGarrity didn't play much football until Liam McHale coaxed from the bball court to the pitch in 2004!?

Apologies to Meath posters for derailing your thread, us Mayo lads just love grabbin' what's yours don't we

???
If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Wha? Are you serious?

either
A myth McHale did nothing to dispel either ::) ::)
McGarrity played club and colleges all through his teenage years even though a career in bb was his target. Always a talented footballer.
There was no reason himself, Gill and Duffy could not have been on the same team?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Ard-Rí on July 31, 2015, 04:33:25 PM
@lynchbhoy - If you think that was a hissy fit you need your eyes tested. I just outlined the argument as it is being put forward.

As to whether O'Dowd could have done more, I personally think his game management was nothing short of appalling this year. If there's any stand-out reason to get rid of him it has to be the ineptitude displayed from the line in the games against Laois in the league and Westmeath in the championship. The fact that he doesn't know his team is also very worrying. I tend to favour opening the position to candidates again, simply on the basis that a fresh start is more likely to re-invigorate the team than limping on in the hope things get better. However, O'Dowd deserves credit for a progressive approach and his attempt to build a team that  could win playing positive open football. It's hardly an open & shut case anyway.
What's this @lynchbhoy craic??

Anyhow - apologies I actually don't see an actual argument or where it stems from other than unnamed (north Meath?) parties .
There's as big a spread of players from all levels of clubs as there was in late 80's heyday.
The squad has been navan centric for years and south Meath couldn't complain as there wasn't enough good players to make it. I've never heard or thought of mid Meath - navan area- as being lumped in with south Meath! At colmkilles is beside feckin drogheda!

Not having a go at you but I just don't see this as anything other than a whinge from these unnamed parties. IMO some lads are not good enough to be in the team but we all have diff views.
If odowd goes - who to replace him? I like Nelson but not sure if he could step up. I did like Barry and thought he was shafted but that ship has sailed. Only other might be summerhills Cavan McCabe lad.
I'd still prefer odowd and back room team to stay for a while. The footballing knowledge from Giles is a must and there's no better coach trainer or inspiration than Colm Brady.
It's a young squad mostly and I'd be hopeful.
Who would you like to see in the job of not odowd?

Odowd has not had a stellar year. But I know he can improve as the squad battle hardens.

Jinxy

I'd give him another year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

Sean B looks healthy and  fresher than ever.  Is it a complete non runner.

agorm

Well Mick 'Dowd is being proposed to continue with both Sean Kelly and Trevor Giles departing the scene. in fact if I recall correctly it was having those guys on the team that swung it for Mick in the first place. In fact one of our best performances in the last year was versus Down in the league when Giles was on the sideline.

Mick has said that he wont announce his selectors until he is ratified. In my opinion he does not deserve to be ratified especially considereing that he is not saying who his selectors are going to be. Both Banty and Eamonn O'Brien were got rid of and it is my opinion that we have deteriorated since both of those.

Regarding who will be the next manager, I dont care if it is an outsider or not. Why do people have this fixation about not getting outsiders in? Pete McGrath has done a mighty fine job at Fermanagh and what is important is experience, achievement, nous and passion. We need the best possible person who, at the same time wants the job and is paasionate about it.

If I was given a choice I would give it to Paddy Carr, good experience, played both inside and outside the county and managed inside and outside the county. He did very weell winning an All-Ireland club with kilmacud crokes. I saw the following interview with him on the hoganstand site.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=126094

Hardy

Mick is confirmed for another year. I'm pleased about that. It will be interesting to see who his selectors will be. 

I don't envy him his job, trying to coach football against the current fad of combined rugby league, basketball and running. And in a climate where you get a red card for playful hair patting but no sanction for mocking the grief of a bereaved family or behaving like a hateful creep in all the many ways that can be done.

I can't make up my mind, though, whether the crusade to restore the soul of football has been boosted or torpedoed by the antics of last weekend.  I'm optimistically hoping it's the former and that the unedifying scenes broadcast to a large audience on Saturday will be a trigger for some meaningful action to stamp out the real evils in the game - feigning and sledging.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2015, 02:38:34 PM
Mick is confirmed for another year. I'm pleased about that. It will be interesting to see who his selectors will be. 

I don't envy him his job, trying to coach football against the current fad of combined rugby league, basketball and running. And in a climate where you get a red card for playful hair patting but no sanction for mocking the grief of a bereaved family or behaving like a hateful creep in all the many ways that can be done.

I can't make up my mind, though, whether the crusade to restore the soul of football has been boosted or torpedoed by the antics of last weekend.  I'm optimistically hoping it's the former and that the unedifying scenes broadcast to a large audience on Saturday will be a trigger for some meaningful action to stamp out the real evils in the game - feigning and sledging.

+1

A good move by Meath.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

rosnarun

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 31, 2015, 04:04:53 PM

Wha? Are you serious?

McGarrity wasn't a prominent underage player at minor level anyway, I remember playing against Ballina and they were average without Duffy (who was a serious machine)

so Ronan is only the same as Duffy? that cant be right ? he slipped away very quietly for such a good player then again mayo players seem to do that without much fanfare. (except Cmort who Might still fancy himself for corner forward)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Declan

Interesting developments in the royal county when club reports specifically call out the county management for blocking lads from playing for their clubs:

The Trim team had to face into the senior hurling championship without the services of intercounty footballer James Toher. He had trained with his Trim team the night before (Monday night) but was not allowed play the following night (Tuesday) in the club hurling championship. It seems that not only are our intercounty players not allowed play in the club leagues they are now not allowed play in the club championship games either. Longwood suffered the same fate with Mickey Burke.

BLACK TUESDAY FOR
MEATH CLUB HURLING!!!!

Below is an email I sent to my club today , I feel it is time that somebody brought the events of last Tuesday to the public arena.
Nobody in the local media has addressed the issue so I ask you to read this email and if you want to post a reply. The words expressed in my email are my own I am not speaking on behalf of the Meath senior Hurling Management or Trim GAA Club.

To the secretary of the Trim GAA Club and Trim GAA committee
for your consideration at your monthly meeting tonight the 6th June 2017

Seamus
I would like to take the opportunity to say fair play to you and well done on your first paragraph of the report on our senior hurling match on Tuesday night published on our club web site and Facebook page. (See Trimgaa.ie)

Other parties and people have danced around the truth of what happened last Tuesday and will continue to do so and try and smoke screen the issue in the days ahead.

Fair play to you for calling it as it is and telling the truth about what actually happened to our players last Tuesday morning.

The events that unfolded last Tuesday were not only against the whole etos of the workings of the GAA they were quite honesty shocking and very wrong.

The fact that our players and other clubs players were told not to play for their clubs threatened our Club , treathened our position as a duel club and in fact devalued the clubs involved and the Meath Senior Hurling Championship. It also put the players involved in an un-winnable position and it's certainly not any players fault.

Neil Cole has been preparing our Hurlers for a first round championship match since the 19th of January, and let's be honest here he has had a very testing time during these months.

Training and playing league matches without our inter county Hurlers and footballers which are a total of six, for every match , it is not easy for management or the players involved.

The light at the end of the tunnel for our team management and the players who played in these clubs league matches and took some heavy beatings was allways

"The First Round of the championship we will have the lads back and our full team on the pitch so we will be strong"

The very fabric of our proud record as a duel club has been threatened by by the action taken. These are proud club players and love playing hurling with their clubs and the lads they grew up with. In my opinion a line was crossed in a very detrimental way , firstly to the clubs involved and secondly to the players involved and lastly meath club hurling championship in its entirety.

Every day of the week we have hundreds of young players up in our club grounds , these players are coached by brilliant volunteers who coach our youngsters in both football and hurling.

The players first dream is to play for our Senior adult teams and then god willing if good enough go on and represent our club on meath inter county teams.

The coaches dream is to see his players progress as players and individuals within the team environment and hopefully progress to play with our adult teams at the top level with our club.

I had the great honor and pleasure of witnessing many many of the players That I coached playing with our senior football and hurling teams.

I can tell you on a personal level Their is no greater feeling than seeing a young man that you first showed how to hold a Hurley or kick a football take the field in a Senior championship match in the red jersey.

These dreams and satisfactions were well and truly smashed to oblivion from a hurling point of view last Tuesday.

Are the likes of Declan Murray, Kevin Walsh, Darren O'Conner , Neil Cole to name a few, are these men to down tools and stop coaching young Hurlers in our club ?

What is the point of these men carrying on with their work if a Football manager can stop club players playing championship hurling with our club.

The events of Tuesday morning are very worrying and could be the start of a very slippery slope for our club if we allow it !!!!!!

Are we as a club going to take this lying down?

As a club are we going to do something about this ?

Something need to be done as quickly as possible as we are due to play our second round on Monday the 21st two days after Meath play

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Yours in Sport
Seàn McAindriu
Baile Ath Troim