New Meath Manager

Started by Hardy, July 20, 2008, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Eamon O'Brien from Rathkenny is likely to be the next Meath manager bythe looks of things. He brought them from Intermediate to Senior 1/4finals.

Other news from the always reliable always truthful Hoganstand meath message board: Trevor Giles making a return to the Intercounty scene! Pairc Tailteann going under the hammer and a new home ground in Rathoath.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

JMohan

I think all this talk of O'Brien is premature - I don't think the interviews been even held yet?

As for O'Rourke - I honestly don't think he'll ever manage Meath.
Now was the time to do it and he decided not to go for it, I can't see why waiting makes any difference. Football is not like that, you don't wait and pick a cycle to hop onto - God knows what life brings. I know he did an interview a few years ago but (correct me if I'm wrong here) in that case he only presented to the CB rather than went for the job or withdrew I think?

One good thing I think is that if it's an 'unknown' like O'Brien or Kelly it might keep a little media pressure off the rest of the team rather than a bigger name.

I thought it interesting that Boylan criticised the players too for lack of pride in playing for the county a few weeks back too.

Jinxy

Quote from: JMohan on September 08, 2008, 12:51:38 AM
I think all this talk of O'Brien is premature - I don't think the interviews been even held yet?

As for O'Rourke - I honestly don't think he'll ever manage Meath.
Now was the time to do it and he decided not to go for it, I can't see why waiting makes any difference. Football is not like that, you don't wait and pick a cycle to hop onto - God knows what life brings. I know he did an interview a few years ago but (correct me if I'm wrong here) in that case he only presented to the CB rather than went for the job or withdrew I think?

One good thing I think is that if it's an 'unknown' like O'Brien or Kelly it might keep a little media pressure off the rest of the team rather than a bigger name.

I thought it interesting that Boylan criticised the players too for lack of pride in playing for the county a few weeks back too.

He was dead right. I dunno if O'Brien is the right man for the job though. He needs to get a good physical trainer in and let him do his job first of all. I'd personally love to see Trevor back in action. We didn't appreciate him enough first time round.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JMohan

You might be right about the players, I don't know.

I don't know anything about O'Brien or Kelly but I think the O'Brein appointment smacks of the CB looking for Sean Boylan II which won't happen.

I think you're right about the trainer too. Like I said from what I've heard Meath are light years behind other counties in terms of preparation.

As for Trevor - That's just a rumour isn't it?

thejuice

Well word on the street is that the job is for O'Brien to turn down. I'd love to see Trevor back but as Jmohan says it is only a rumour. He was crucial to our All-Ireland success in the 90's.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

JMohan

The thing about Trevor (a great player) is that unlike O'Neill he is in his (mid?) 30's now ... game has got a lot faster.

He's married too isn't he? Kids? All these things will be issues - I'd be surprised personally if he came back.

his holiness nb

Quote from: thejuice on September 07, 2008, 11:58:22 PM
Eamon O'Brien from Rathkenny is likely to be the next Meath manager bythe looks of things. He brought them from Intermediate to Senior 1/4finals.

Is O'Brien still over Rathkenny? If so he is one game away from bringing them from Senior 1/4 finals to Intermediate  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

Boylan is one of the best in the business and if interested will take the job. He wouldn't even have competition.

JMohan

There is no chance he'll take it

Hardy

I should have an opinion on this, but I don't know what to say. I want to see it stay in the county, but I'm too out of touch with club football to know much about O'Brien. I agree about the need for a good physical trainer. We need to get a bit of mate on the bones of most of the lads. And we also need a man with a steel toecap.

Lar Naparka

I think O'Rourke can definitely be ruled out of the running. He devoted a fair bit of space to the matter in his Sindo article about four weeks ago. Interestingly, enough, he didn't rule out the possibility of ever taking the job but, right now, he is not interested. He also never mentioned the fees he gets from his  newspaper and TV work as a factor either.
The fact that Shane is trying to establish a place on the side was one of the major reasons he wants to stay away from the scene.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

JMohan

You see I don't see any logic in what he's saying - what difference does it make if Shane makes the team now or in 2,3 or 4 years time. The lad is good enough to make it by all accounts and wehther the old man is there or not it makes no difference - he's managed him at schools and club (I think ... correct me if i'm worng).
I'd wager he's happy not to risk the reputation and salary. No matter what anyone says $ talks.

As for O'Brien it looks odd that Friday he had the job and now the CB are cmoing out saying he hasn't been offered it - is there a bit of gamesmanship being played? or was that just a rumour on Friday that out of hand?

thejuice

I'd say what it is, he hasnt been offically offered the job but they've completed the interviews and its been mentioned in certain circles that he's the most likely one to get the offer. Thats what I think. The Trevor Giles returning rumour is nonsense as is the Pairc Tailteann being sold.

orangeman

O'Rourke will never take the job - why would he ?

Things are much too handy for him at the minute and I can't see them changing in the foreseeable future.

JMohan

School boy football is a long way away from County football as we well know, it's easier to talk about it than do it.