GAA crowds

Started by Truth hurts, April 08, 2024, 09:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Like Linda Ervine  teaching Irish and kids from mixed marriages  (or unionist parents)  playing for the likes of East Belfast GAA , that  will do more  for integration than what any GAA president says.

Most kids probably start  GAA between 4-7,  and won't have any  knowledge of any Republican links to the association (like myself at that age) unless it's been  drummed into them  from bigoted parents from birth.

So , if the kids enjoy the game , want to play it with their friends and make new ones , be they catholic Protestant or other , then  that's the future. Eventually the anti-GAA bigots  Will dwindle away

Truthsayer

Quote from: AustinPowers on Today at 12:07:27 AMLike Linda Ervine  teaching Irish and kids from mixed marriages  (or unionist parents)  playing for the likes of East Belfast GAA , that  will do more  for integration than what any GAA president says.

Most kids probably start  GAA between 4-7,  and won't have any  knowledge of any Republican links to the association (like myself at that age) unless it's been  drummed into them  from bigoted parents from birth.

So , if the kids enjoy the game , want to play it with their friends and make new ones , be they catholic Protestant or other , then  that's the future. Eventually the anti-GAA bigots  Will dwindle away
As far as I know the GAA still aspires to a 32 county Republic.
Rule 1.2 of the GAA official guide states our aim as the 'strengthening the national identity in a 32-county Ireland'.
 Being a Republican does not make you a bigot... 'Catholic, Protestant and dissenter...'

AustinPowers

Quote from: Truthsayer on Today at 01:01:05 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on Today at 12:07:27 AMLike Linda Ervine  teaching Irish and kids from mixed marriages  (or unionist parents)  playing for the likes of East Belfast GAA , that  will do more  for integration than what any GAA president says.

As far as I know the GAA still aspires to a 32 county Republic.
Rule 1.2 of the GAA official guide states our aim as the 'strengthening the national identity in a 32-county Ireland'.
 Being a Republican does not make you a bigot... 'Catholic, Protestant and dissenter...'

My mistake : I meant kids from a unionist  background wouldn't have any knowledge of it  at that age , unless  it's come from parents