Hurling and Gaelic Football Schedule

Started by Pats020405, December 06, 2006, 11:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pats020405

Hello,
I'm an American living here in Boston and will be coming to Ireland next July for a family wedding.  I lived in Cregboy and Dublin for 4 years as a child and played both Hurling and Gealic football.  My question is this; when is the hurling and Gaelic football season?  My brother and I were discussing this last night and we would love to attend a game next year but I am not sure of the hurling and Gaelic football seasons / schedules.  Are tickets easy to come by etc.?  Any info you could give me would be great.  Thanks in advance.

tayto

Hey Pats, your timing is impecable, the championship will be in full swing in july. I don't have time right now to dig out the exact dates but i'll post them later if someone dosent beat me to it in the meantime.

Pats020405

Thanks Tayto.  That is fantastic.  Which championship Gaelic Football or Hurling?  Are tickets easy to come by?  How much etc?  Is it still played in Croke Park?  I believe that is in Dublin correct?  Sorry for all the questions; I'm just trying to find out as much info as I can.  Thanks again.

armaghniac

Plenty of big intercounty games in July, including provincial finals in the first half of the month, see www.GAA.ie as the year goes on. Ticket availability partly depends on who is playing, Leinster hurling finals are easy to get tickets for, not so Munster hurling finals. If Dublin are in the Leinster football final, then tickets are very difficult to get, but if Dublin are not playing it is easy.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mayo4Sam

Pats where will you be staying when ur over?
Like the lads said if its dublin then yes it will be croke park, the other match the lads failed to mention would be the ulster final which is played in croke park as well
When u are over and if u cant get tickets from www.ticketmaster.ie or www.gaa.ie then ur best bet is to stand up around quinn's pub, near croke park and u will more than likely pick up tickets there
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

armaghniac

The Ulster final has been played in Croke Pk for the last 3 years. However the Armagh-Donegal and Armagh-Tyrone pairings that provided the large crowds is not going to happen next year. One of Donegal/Armagh/Tyrone will probably reach the final but of the teams in the other side of the draw only Down could muster a crowd, Derry are more likely to be there and they'll hardly need the Hogan stand for their fan base. I'd say the Ulster final will be in Clones in 2007.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Pats020405

Mayo4Sam,
I will be staying mostly in Leitrim when I'm there.  Thanks all for the info. 

highking

Pats, If your staying in Leitrim, why not check out the Connacht Football Championship, which will be finishing up in July. Youd never know, Leitrim might be in it. Tickets priced around €25 are available from www.connachtgaa.ie or pay at the gate if Leitrim are in it.

2007 Connacht SFC dates and venues

May 13: New York v Sligo, Gaelic Park, New York;
May 20: Galway v Mayo, Pearse Stadium, Galway;
May 27: London v Leitrim, Ruislip, London;
June 17: Semi-final – New York/Sligo v Roscommon, Hyde Park, Roscommon;
June 24: Semi-final – Galway/Mayo v Leitrim/London, Carrick-on-Shannon or McHale Park.
July 8: venue to be confirmed.

The Bottom Brick

Quoteof the teams in the other side of the draw only Down could muster a crowd

Now I see what people mean when they say that Armagh supporters think Ulster football started in 1999.

Cavan definitely wouldn't bring any sort of crowd if they got an Ulster final in Croke Park.  ::)
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!