Declan O'Sullivan Available For Kerry in '07

Started by SuperDooperCooper, December 05, 2006, 04:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDooperCooper

Good news for Kerry - Declan O'Sullivan is available.
Most of the criticism of O'Sullivan can be traced back to the defeat to Tyrone when the whole half forward line had a nightmare.
Declan played very well when he came off the bench against Armagh and Cork and he handled the ball more than anyone else (save the Mayo goalie) in the All-Ireland final. I'm glad he is available 'cos he is a damb good footballer. Do I hear James Nallen reconsidering his decision to play on..........

O'Sullivan declares availability
Declan O'Sullivan
05 December 2006
Kerry's All-Ireland winning captain Declan O'Sullivan has insisted he will be available to play with the Kingdom in next year's championship.

O'Sullivan will travel to Australia later this month where he will remain until March when he returns home to link up with the Kerry panel. According to O'Sullivan, the main purpose of the trip is to rest after a busy few seasons with Dromid Pearses, South Kerry and Kerry.

"I spoke to Pat O'Shea, he understands my position. I would be hoping to rejoin the panel when I come back from Australia in March. I'll have to prove myself with the club and so on when I come back, but that's the plan at the moment anyway," he said.

"I feel I could do with a break after a couple of years playing with Dromid, South Kerry and Kerry. I'm going to stay out there until the start of March.

"Most of the established players will probably be taking a break until the end of February or the start of March, so I will be no different – except that I'll be doing it outside in Australia."

AZOffaly

I'm delighted to hear this. I know he's been considering staying out in Australia for a while. It will make for an interesting dilemma for O'Shea when he gets back. As South Kerry have won the 3 in a row, and Declan is the only regular on the Kerry set up, (Bryan Sheehan would be closest apart from him) would O'Shea return the captaincy to Dec after all the sh1t last year when he comes back, probably at the expense of a Gooch or Brosnan??

The Chinese have a curse, 'May you live in interesting times ' :)

Ball Hopper

AZ...hardly up to O'Shea to give the captaincy to anyone.  Thought the SK board decide that issue.  Basically, the decision will be between Sheehan and Dec.  If only one of them starts a game, he will be captain.  If both start, I presume it will be Sheehan, since he has not had the honour before.  If neither start, SK nominate the captain from any other club (not necessarily beaten county finalists, Dr. Crokes).

I'm in Phoenix today, by the way. 

In short-sleeved shirt.

AZOffaly

That is true ball hopper, but do you not feel there would be immense pressure on South Kerry to 'nominate' a Crokes player, especially if they win the Munster Club, and seeing as they were the second best team in Kerry?

When Jack O'Connor dropped Declan, he gave the captaincy to Gooch. Declan was still 'captain' but Gooch was captain on the field.

South Kerry will nominate Bryan or Dec to be captain but if O'Shea doesn't pick them, I presume he can decide who is captain on the field?

If Gooch is captain on the field, will Pat O'Shea give Declan a game, knowing that doing so will make him captain again automatically?

I know there is ill-feeling on all sides down there over this issue, last years Brosnan v Declan selection issue, the bitterness after this years final etc, etc.

I'm not saying it will be unpleasant down there, but I'll be keeping an ear to the ground. Can't beat a good conspiracy theory :)

P.S. Good for you to be in sunny Phoenix. God be with the days :)

stephenite

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 05, 2006, 06:45:22 PM
I know there is ill-feeling on all sides down there over this issue, last years Brosnan v Declan selection issue, the bitterness after this years final etc, etc.

If there is ill-feeling you'd think they would get rid of the whole ridiculous concept. In my view, the manager should decide who the captain is of any team, based on the leadership qualities of the players that represent his team, ridiculous to have it otherwise.

charlie linkbox

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 05, 2006, 06:45:22 PM

Yous Kerry ones are unrreal. It's not good enough that yous win every other All-Ireland but yous still have to find something to bicker about. Animals.

Agree with Stephenite. That manner of appointing a captain is idiotic. The captain should be the best leader full stop. Shouldn't matter where he's from.

AZOffaly

Charlie,

As my name impliies, I am from Offaly, not Kerry. I just know a bit about the scene down there through family connections.

Ball Hopper

AZOffaly;

The county champions name the captain.  Obviously, if the county champions have a player on the starting 15, he will be captain.  If they have no player they can pick any member of the starting 15.  They are not obliged to name a player from the losing county final team. 

Example:  1984 captain was Ambrose O'Donovan, as nominated by Killarney (county champions, whose sole panellist was Diarmuid O'Donoghue).  Killarney beat Feale Rangers in the County Final in 1983, by the way, and not O'Donovan's team (I think Gneeveguilla, Glenflesk, Rathmore, and Spa were playing as Eoghan Rua at the time).

The fallout from 2001, with Eoin Brosnan taking captaincy for the AI semifinal was a lot worse.

There should be absolutely no pressure on SK to nominate any Crokes player...but I'll bet there is open canvassing for it by more than one player's club.

Pub fodder for the winter is all it is...decisions will be made and stuck with.  If anything, it shows the integrity of Jack O'Connor in being able to drop his own clubman as his policy was whoever was doing best in training will start.  A high bar for Pat O'Shea in that area.

The method of selecting the captain has worked well for Kerry, obviously, so why change?  Not like there are models that are more successful.

No Kerryman has received Sam Maguire twice as captain, although Dick Fitzgerald was captain of two All Ireland winning teams (in 1913 and 1914) before Sam Maguire was first awarded (1928).  Dick Fitzgerald also lends his name to Killarney's Fitzgerald Stadium.  The fact that Dick died by his own hand has not been linked to his losing the captaincy, although many the conspiracy theory abounds. 

The captaincy in Kerry can be a very divisive issue if not managed properly.  The County Board, team manager, winning club, and players that may be captain have a responsibility to get it right for the common good they are all interested in. 

In sunny California (Northern) today.  Long sleeved shirt, no jacket.