Acceptable entrance fees / what are you willing to pay?

Started by thewobbler, April 25, 2018, 08:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: thewobbler on April 26, 2018, 01:31:01 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 26, 2018, 12:29:14 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2018, 08:23:09 PM
Just saw that it's £9/€10 into the Ulster Minor FC game on Saturday evening.

This is a bunch of 16 year olds playing in the opening round of a championship. I'd chuck a fiver in to acknowledge running costs, but out of principle I won't pay £9 to watch children play early stage football.

But I'm also now doubting myself.

Am I cheap skate? Am I stuck in 2001? Or am I right?

You'd be the first to complain if they weren't properly kitted out, fed and watered and looked after medically. All that stuff has to be paid for. £9/€10 is not excessive and who knows....you might even enjoy it.

You're probably right Seanie. It costs quite a few £k per week to run a county minor team during peak season, and the fairest way to pay for it is through supporters.

But... the vast majority of this money won't go to the counties. It's Ulster Council money.
Yes money taken at the gate doesn't generally go towards the running costs of a team.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

manfromdelmonte

I think Meath have a club season ticket scheme as well

the year they introduced it they actually took in more money than the previous year

JoG2

It was £9 (which did raise an initial eyebrow) into the Derry Monaghan minor game last Sat evening, I'd 2 young bucks with me who got in foc. Was an incredible game of football, best I've seen in a while, vfm , but not all matches will be as exciting. For those with a tight fist, the men collecting the tickets had packed up 10 mins in  ;)

Samforever

Problem with high charge is that it doesn't make its way back to the counties. It all makes its way pay for the increasingly larger salaried staff at Ulster GAA.

Targetman

I'll pay the £9 into Pairc Esler tomorrow but its a feckin rip off to watch an u17 match, a fiver would be plenty

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Targetman on April 27, 2018, 10:36:17 PM
I'll pay the £9 into Pairc Esler tomorrow but its a feckin rip off to watch an u17 match, a fiver would be plenty

Why are these games not played before senior? Is it to make more money
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Might be a timing thing to avoid exams? (That's a guess as not sure...)

snoopdog

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2018, 06:25:21 PM
Might be a timing thing to avoid exams? (That's a guess as not sure...)
The u20s are now getting the gig b4 the seniors.

JoG2

Quote from: JoG2 on April 27, 2018, 02:47:04 PM
It was £9 (which did raise an initial eyebrow) into the Derry Monaghan minor game last Sat evening, I'd 2 young bucks with me who got in foc. Was an incredible game of football, best I've seen in a while, vfm , but not all matches will be as exciting. For those with a tight fist, the men collecting the tickets had packed up 10 mins in  ;)

Now into extra extra time (5 mins each way) in the Cavan Derry game.

Taylor

Was visiting relatives and had the misfortune to attend down c Armagh.
Down win by a few points after extra time.

Armagh tactics were horrendous.
13 men behind the ball at all times and even when they had the ball didn't attack in numbers.

Down much the better team and should have won by more in normal time but for terrible shooting and 2 good saves by Armagh keeper. Down also rattles the crossbar.

Wouldn't mind my money back after that dross. (All £9 of it)

larryin89

Makes no odds it's small change but found it odd that I paid €7 into dublin senior game syls v parnells two weeks ago and a tenner then this evening . Perhaps there was a game on before hand is all I can think of .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .