Wexford don't give a damn about football

Started by seafoid, October 31, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Syferus on November 01, 2017, 06:06:38 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on November 01, 2017, 05:57:35 PM
Kerry have got serious value out of using their Junior team as a development pathway for players the last while, and I read an interview somewhere a few months back with Mick Fitzsimmons giving a lot of credit to his stint with the Dublin juniors in terms of his development as an inter-county player and how he thinks it's a big mistake by Dublin not to be entering a team in it at the moment.

The change in age from U21 to U20 next year means that the Junior grade will probably become even more valuable in terms of bringing players through to the senior team, as opposed to just hoping the coaching/player development in the clubs is up to standard for lads with potential but just outside the senior panel.

I think counties who don't participate in the junior are just handing an advantage to those who do.

Have they? They've been relying on some very veteran players playing into their mid-30's at a lot of key positions in recent years which would indicate that their development process is far from perfect.

I don't seem much advantage to fielding a junior team as opposed to just having a dedicated development panel for younger players. The advantages are the structure and the coaching, not particularly the competition itself which has fell on some very hard times in recent years.

Saw somewhere (maybe here) that something like 10 of the players used during the league last year or the year before by Kerry had played with the Junior team. Given that players from senior clubs are ineligible that sounds like a very high number.

From the Bunker

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 01, 2017, 06:14:07 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 01, 2017, 06:06:38 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on November 01, 2017, 05:57:35 PM
Kerry have got serious value out of using their Junior team as a development pathway for players the last while, and I read an interview somewhere a few months back with Mick Fitzsimmons giving a lot of credit to his stint with the Dublin juniors in terms of his development as an inter-county player and how he thinks it's a big mistake by Dublin not to be entering a team in it at the moment.

The change in age from U21 to U20 next year means that the Junior grade will probably become even more valuable in terms of bringing players through to the senior team, as opposed to just hoping the coaching/player development in the clubs is up to standard for lads with potential but just outside the senior panel.

I think counties who don't participate in the junior are just handing an advantage to those who do.

Have they? They've been relying on some very veteran players playing into their mid-30's at a lot of key positions in recent years which would indicate that their development process is far from perfect.

I don't seem much advantage to fielding a junior team as opposed to just having a dedicated development panel for younger players. The advantages are the structure and the coaching, not particularly the competition itself which has fell on some very hard times in recent years.

Saw somewhere (maybe here) that something like 10 of the players used during the league last year or the year before by Kerry had played with the Junior team. Given that players from senior clubs are ineligible that sounds like a very high number.

When you have only 8 Senior clubs ineligiblity is not much of a factor!

vallankumous

QuoteJust like people to know, ALL Brendan Furlongs words not mine.only quote I did give was " Wundt be involved due to the minor situation

https://twitter.com/MattyForde15/status/925309672852279296