Croke Park

Started by Dougal Maguire, August 05, 2017, 10:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmk

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 06, 2017, 01:12:19 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 06, 2017, 12:54:46 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 05, 2017, 10:47:31 PM
Stadium is a joke. First 20 rows in Hogan, dread to think what Cusack and Davin are like, are open to the elements yet cost the same price as those under cover. Catering a disgrace, flat beer, instant coffee and hugely overpriced

Oh, the humanity.

Its not the fact that it's instant, it's the fact that it's more expensive than what you'd pay a barista to make for you anywhere else. I have on many occasions defended the GAA on issues relating to finance but it's wrong to completely rip off your own people as soon as you get them inside the ground
The catering in Croke Park isn't provided by the GAA it is outsourced to Aramark

RedHand88

It's Ireland. It rains... occasionally. Prepare accordingly. Can't blame the GAA for the weather. And the beer is grand! No worse than you'd get in the pub. Irish begrudgement in full display in this thread.

tc_manchester

Had a great bit of food at the carvery at the hill end of the lower cusack - even with a full house it wasn't too busy. I think most people don't know it's there.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2017, 02:44:44 PM
It's Ireland. It rains... occasionally. Prepare accordingly. Can't blame the GAA for the weather. And the beer is grand! No worse than you'd get in the pub. Irish begrudgement in full display in this thread.
Occasionally?  Are you having a laugh!  In any case I'm Not blaming the GAA for the weather I'm blaming them for charging the same price for covered and uncovered seating.
Careful now

RedHand88

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 06, 2017, 02:51:48 PM
Occasionally?  Are you having a laugh!  In any case I'm Not blaming the GAA for the weather I'm blaming them for charging the same price for covered and uncovered seating.

Yea I was being sarcastic..i actually think the uncovered seats are more valuable as it means you are closer to the pitch no?

Dougal Maguire

Horses for courses, which is why there should be some way of distinguishing between them.
Careful now

Syferus

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2017, 02:55:36 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 06, 2017, 02:51:48 PM

Yea I was being sarcastic..i actually think the uncovered seats are more valuable as it means you are closer to the pitch no?

Don't attempt to tell them they're preferable in good weather either, they might have a breakdown.

RedHand88

I'd rather get soaked at the front than be in the nosebleed seats and dry.

Seany

Due to the fact that Croke Park is not of symmetrical construction all the way around, a retractable roof is out of the question. At this stage, it is impossible to take those stands all the way around. As a result, the cantilever only allows the cover to go so far. When the Hogan Stand was being constructed, it was decided to make the cover one metre longer than the rest of the stadium. It cost a million punts to do it. There has to be a balance re shade etc to ensure that the field is exposed to the exact equation of sun, light and rain to make it what it is and even with that, there has to be a light making machine on the field for all of the winter and most of the summer.
So, to make those first 20 rows of the stadium waterproof, would take an effort which would be cost prohibitive and lead to serious negative impacts on the field. And even with that, the type of drizzle which Ireland gets usually blows in sheets and can sometimes get right into the covered area if the wind is blowing that direction.
So
In ireland we have a temperate climate. It rains quite a lot. We know that. We live here. We also have very accurate weather forecasts which can tell us if it is going to be wet. People who look out the window on a showery day and the sun is shining so they bring no coat, deserve all they get. It never ceases to amaze me how dreadfully unprepared some people are for the weather when they attend games.
Finally. Oneills, Nike, Adidas 'rainproof' coats are not waterproof. In Ireland we think nothing of spending fortunes on cars, televisions, iphones, fashion, but a one off once in a lifetime payment of about £200 would get you a really good waterproof suit, the type won by mountain walkers, with proper goretex waterproof properties.

Rant over.

Dougal Maguire

That arguement fails to stack up that when you look at fully covered soccer grounds, where the pitch is smaller, being designed in a way that offers 100% cover without compromising pitch condition. But you hit the nail on the head, money was the issue so they spoiled the ship for a ha'porth of tar. But in doing so if they even recognised that they made this sacrifice and in return offered those seats at a lesser price then that would be acceptable. The £200 walking coat arguement is just silly and it's clear that unlike me you don't have 5 kids to clothe, but it's good of you to let us know that O'Neills gear is not waterproof. I'll bear that in mind next time I'm buying a coat
Careful now

RedHand88

Going to games is an outdoor hobby. As in all outdoor pursuits there is a risk of getting rained on. Want to stay dry? Just watch it on tv.

The Trap

Croke park getting a great game today

armaghniac

Quote from: The Trap on August 06, 2017, 05:11:04 PM
Croke park getting a great game today

Good crowd, well above the average I would have thought.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2017, 05:09:30 PM
Going to games is an outdoor hobby. As in all outdoor pursuits there is a risk of getting rained on. Want to stay dry? Just watch it on tv.
Wrong, playing games is an outdoor hobby, watching outdoor sports is a hobby where 1 can choose to be covered and comfortable or uncovered and uncomfortable and pay accordingly.
Careful now

RedHand88

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 06, 2017, 05:15:58 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2017, 05:09:30 PM
Wrong, playing games is an outdoor hobby, watching outdoor sports is a hobby where 1 can choose to be covered and comfortable or uncovered and uncomfortable and pay accordingly.

Lol I'd hate to see you at a league game on a Saturday night in February.