Mcgeeney and a little bit about McStay

Started by sligoman2, July 31, 2017, 01:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Great to see these great gaa men and their backroom teams who spend countless hours traveling, strategizing, training, planning and suffering the wrath of many fickle fans come good and have many posters here back tracking on some of the unwarranted criticism they have unleashed on them.

They both have had to endure too much abuse imo and fair play to them, I think their players have reacted to the abuse and stepped it up.  Personally I hope they both win next week because it's no more than they deserve.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

stew

The problem with your statement is that all these men involved are great GAA men, but I for one appreciate your support of Geezer. )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

omaghjoe

McStay great fella.
McGeeney  ::) sad loser

mup

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 31, 2017, 07:24:17 AM
McStay great fella.

After lifting Sam? Seriously?

SimonSays

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 31, 2017, 07:24:17 AM
McStay great fella.

If McGeeney was a sad loser he would definitely be sitting behind a keyboard calling people a sad los  , oh wait

Armamike

A lot of the snipes at McGeeney on here over the past couple of years have come from opposition supporters, particularly Cavan ones for some reason.
That's just, like your opinion man.

mup

Quote from: Armamike on July 31, 2017, 10:27:00 AM
A lot of the snipes at McGeeney on here over the past couple of years have come from opposition supporters, particularly Cavan ones for some reason.

Had the same when he was over Kildare. He even had his own thread over on a Dublin website. He came close to beating the Dubs on a couple of occasions and basically they didn't like that one bit.

I've nothing but huge respect for the man. He took us from the doldrums into a team that were regularly in quarter finals. While he didn't win anything of note it wasn't down to his dedication and commitment.

Hound

Quote from: mup on July 31, 2017, 10:41:11 AM
Had the same when he was over Kildare. He even had his own thread over on a Dublin website. He came close to beating the Dubs on a couple of occasions and basically they didn't like that one bit.

I've nothing but huge respect for the man. He took us from the doldrums into a team that were regularly in quarter finals. While he didn't win anything of note it wasn't down to his dedication and commitment.

Any negative threads on McGeeney on Dublin sites would have been as a result of the Seanie Johnston affair, which I think everyone will admit was not the finest hour for manager, player or county board.

As a Dublin fan, I wouldn't have been particularly concerned or overwhelmed by the job McGeeney did, at the time. Throughtout the late 70s and 80s Kildare would have been little more than cannon fodder for the Dubs, but since the Micko days, we would have got well used to Kildare running us close and/or beating us. So McGeeney brought nothing new in that regard.

I suppose you can look back in hindsight and realise now that McGeeney was probably doing a very good job, given how much Kildare declined when he left. That Donegal extra time defeat sticks in my mind, as a great Kildare performance that could have gone either way, but since then its been pretty calamitous until this year.

Maybe you could say that McGeeney (and O'Dwyer probably moreso) had a higher quality of player, and that quality is only coming back now.   

mup

Quote from: Hound on July 31, 2017, 11:35:01 AM
Quote from: mup on July 31, 2017, 10:41:11 AM

Any negative threads on McGeeney on Dublin sites would have been as a result of the Seanie Johnston affair, which I think everyone will admit was not the finest hour for manager, player or county board.

As a Dublin fan, I wouldn't have been particularly concerned or overwhelmed by the job McGeeney did, at the time. Throughtout the late 70s and 80s Kildare would have been little more than cannon fodder for the Dubs, but since the Micko days, we would have got well used to Kildare running us close and/or beating us. So McGeeney brought nothing new in that regard.

I suppose you can look back in hindsight and realise now that McGeeney was probably doing a very good job, given how much Kildare declined when he left. That Donegal extra time defeat sticks in my mind, as a great Kildare performance that could have gone either way, but since then its been pretty calamitous until this year.

Maybe you could say that McGeeney (and O'Dwyer probably moreso) had a higher quality of player, and that quality is only coming back now.

It had nothing to do with the Seanie Johnson affair. McGeeney was often referred to The Guru on that site. Besides the Dubs on there have very short memories - i.e. Declan Darcy, Ryan O'Dwyer, Niall Quinn's son etc.

Yes McGeeney did do a very good job with the players he had at his disposal. A lot of tight Kildare games only seems to go one way - the way of the opposition. That's says more about Kildare football then it does about any manager.

omagh_gael

It's often mentioned that games are all about the inches. Wouldn't it be interesting to see what McGeeney's legacy in Kildare would have been like if Kevin Cassidy's shot drifted wide and the controversial decision in the AI semi v Down had went Kildare's way.

Hound

Quote from: mup on July 31, 2017, 11:42:57 AM

Besides the Dubs on there have very short memories - i.e. Declan Darcy, Ryan O'Dwyer, Niall Quinn's son etc.

Declan Darcy born and bred a Dub!

Ryan O'Dwyer is somewhat similar, although not really as he actually lived in Dublin. Like Larry and Shay actually lived in Cork. No lying or pretending that he was living in a place he wasn't! And then you have Seanie playing hurling for 5 mins to qualify!

Plenty of GAA transfers in various counties, but there's been nothing remotely comparable to the SeanieJ fiasco. I don't think there's many who would disagree that it was regettable from manager, player and county board. I think you should definitely move on.

mrhardyannual

As a Mayoman I'm delighted for Kevin McStay and Liam McHale. They gave their all for Mayo over the years and never deserved the attacks the received from both Rossies and Mayo know-nothings. Had Mayo adopted a coaching plan that Kevin was instrumental in putting together 15 years ago we might have had greater success at underage level at a time when our seniors were constantly in the shop window. I have no problem with Stephen Rochford who was also overlooked by county board when he applied for the minor job.

Still its great to see Mayomen going forth from the county and helping to keep the game alive in the weaker counties about us....Johnno in Galway and Leitrim, Peter Forde in Sligo and Galway and John Maughan, Kevin and Liam in Roscommon. ;D ;D

screenexile

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 31, 2017, 11:45:00 AM
It's often mentioned that games are all about the inches. Wouldn't it be interesting to see what McGeeney's legacy in Kildare would have been like if Kevin Cassidy's shot drifted wide and the controversial decision in the AI semi v Down had went Kildare's way.

They would have been beaten by Dublin also. . . probably by more than 2 points I would think.

omagh_gael

Quote from: screenexile on July 31, 2017, 12:27:41 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 31, 2017, 11:45:00 AM

They would have been beaten by Dublin also. . . probably by more than 2 points I would think.

Agree regarding the Dubs but they would have given Cork their fill of it. Even if they were beat his CV, by the smallest of margins, could have had two AI finals on it.

mup

Quote from: Hound on July 31, 2017, 12:02:48 PM
Quote from: mup on July 31, 2017, 11:42:57 AM

Besides the Dubs on there have very short memories - i.e. Declan Darcy, Ryan O'Dwyer, Niall Quinn's son etc.

Declan Darcy born and bred a Dub!

Ryan O'Dwyer is somewhat similar, although not really as he actually lived in Dublin. Like Larry and Shay actually lived in Cork. No lying or pretending that he was living in a place he wasn't! And then you have Seanie playing hurling for 5 mins to qualify!

Plenty of GAA transfers in various counties, but there's been nothing remotely comparable to the SeanieJ fiasco. I don't think there's many who would disagree that it was regettable from manager, player and county board. I think you should definitely move on.

I didn't bring it up in the first place so no point in telling me to move on.

And for the record Larry was in the USA and was asked by someone there to join Castlehaven. Over an hour from the City. Where he was running a pub. Work that out.

Funny you never mentioned anything about Niall Quinns son. Whys that now?

Anyway we're gone off topic. This is about McGeeney.