We need to talk about the Dubs - get it off your chest

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 18, 2017, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 19, 2017, 09:31:34 AM
I see the Dublin media bandwagon has rolled out properly this week, Redmond yesterday and Alan Brogan today.
Obviously they feel Tyrone are becoming a threat now too, I suppose they will be their semifinal opponents

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/alan-brogan-tyrone-keeper-niall-morgan-369482

No one in Dublin sees Tyrone as a threat.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2017, 10:22:52 AM
I see the Dublin media bandwagon has rolled out properly this week, Redmond yesterday and Alan Brogan today.
Obviously they feel Tyrone are becoming a threat now too, I suppose they will be their semifinal opponents

Mickey will be delighted with that.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

Has Syfīn been appointed as spokesman for 1.3 million Jackeens?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mup

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 19, 2017, 09:58:38 AM
Quote from: mup on July 19, 2017, 09:56:09 AM
Its not a Dublin hate thread. Read the title.

It is so people like yourself can vent. Chill out man, more important things in life than the Dublin senior footballers have a good team once every 15 years.

People like me? People like me spend a lot of our time coaching kids. People like me spend a lot of our time in committee rooms. People like me spend a lot of our time setting up pitches for games. People like me give over a lot of our free time to try and give kids a chance no matter what their ability.

I'm perfectly chilled most of the time. But its grinds my gears when its dismissed out of hand that the fact that the Gaa have pumped millions in to Dublin Gaa has nothing got to do with their recent success.

Make light of it all you want. Calling posters 'people like me' is typical of the attitude of some of the Dub fans on here. Ever stop and think that it might be genuine concern with the way the Gaa is heading?

No? Didnt think so.

Syferus

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 19, 2017, 10:35:52 AM

He can be as delighted as he wants. Tyrone won't be beating Dublin.

Gael85

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2017, 10:56:52 AM

I wouldn't be dismissing Tyrone. We find it very difficult to break down their blanket defence. The Tyrone are very disciplined and like last Sunday don't give away too many scoreable frees. If they can get more from their inside line they will be contenders. Conor McAliskey is a huge loss this year.

Farrandeelin

I hate Jim Gavin's grin. There, I vented.

To whoever said stop sending country people to Dublin, seriously, it's been going on for decades. I mentioned before to Hound I think that it's a political issue - not a topic to discuss on GAA discussion.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rrhf

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 19, 2017, 09:46:12 AM

I dont mind Morgan getting a  bit of criticism for this as it was uncalled for, but at the same time, it was no worse that several Down players doing the exact same sort of thing during the same game which hasn't been highlighted at all.

No morgan shouldn't have done it end of. As for brogans Rosey tinted specs. Cluxton like Morgan always had talent but was always a potential liability and was sent off v Armagh for a lot worse than Morgan ever did.

Buttofthehill

Quote from: mup on July 19, 2017, 10:56:12 AM

It is so people like yourself can vent. Chill out man, more important things in life than the Dublin senior footballers have a good team once every 15 years.

People like me? People like me spend a lot of our time coaching kids. People like me spend a lot of our time in committee rooms. People like me spend a lot of our time setting up pitches for games. People like me give over a lot of our free time to try and give kids a chance no matter what their ability.

I'm perfectly chilled most of the time. But its grinds my gears when its dismissed out of hand that the fact that the Gaa have pumped millions in to Dublin Gaa has nothing got to do with their recent success.

Make light of it all you want. Calling posters 'people like me' is typical of the attitude of some of the Dub fans on here. Ever stop and think that it might be genuine concern with the way the Gaa is heading?

No? Didnt think so.

I'm probably taking this up wrong and I'm not directing this at you but I hate this insinuation that Dublin doesn't have this culture of people giving up their time to coach kids for the love of the game.im a primary teacher so I see first hand the level of volunteerism at schools level never mind clubs in Dublin.its not just a matter of throwing money at coaches. Dublin has at the very least the same level of volunteers who give up evenings,weekends,school holidays to coach kids.

I suppose their seems to be this attitude of the Dubs not having the same pride in the GAA as a whole in comparison to people from around the country.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2017, 10:40:52 AM
Has Syfīn been appointed as spokesman for 1.3 million Jackeens?
I think he may be Jared Kushner''s Gorthaganny Doppelgänger
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

Dublin have always had the numbers but didn't have the finances or vision to organise themselves as professionally as they are nowadays. At all levels of the game. This gave smaller counties a fighting chance against them as long as they were well organised themselves and had a sufficient amount of talent available. Dublin + money and organisation was always going to be a case of potentially creating a monster.

I'm not sure there is a way of putting the genie back in the bottle at this stage.

I mean they are not going to win every All-Ireland title going but it's almost impossible to envision a situation again where they win 1 All-Ireland title in 28 years as they did between 1983 and 2011. They should be winning a good scatter every decade from now on bar them taking their eye off the ball.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2017, 10:56:52 AM

The oracle has spoken.

Tyrone have a better chance than all apart from Kerry in my eyes. I certainly wouldn't be writing them off.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

magpie seanie

Quote from: mup on July 19, 2017, 10:56:12 AM

No? Didnt think so.

I honestly can say I've never seen anyone deny that the investment in infrastructure and coaching has helped Dublin.

I was interested in your points earlier about the Leinster Minor championship and U21 championship being competitive but the senior is not. I'd like to explore why that is the case? I know Dublin are strong at all grades every year (that wouldn't be unusual) but why is the dominance sp pronounced at senior? I think Jim Gavin has a lot to do with it.

From the Bunker

Leinster Minor titles  2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017

Leinster under 21 titles  2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Leinster Senior Titles 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

All Ireland Minor 2012

All Ireland u-21 2010, 2012, 2014, 2017

All Ireland Senior 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016

This Phenomenal group a really doing the business! I mean how lucky are Dublin football to suddenly fall on such riches (excuse the pun) of talent! I know it is only a fad and will pass! :P

weareros

There was a time when it looked like the GAA was dying in Dublin, as it faced intense pressure from soccer and rugby. If it died in Dublin, it would lose a lot of its magic everyplace else. I think it's great that we have a brilliant Dublin team. They are a joy to watch. But the efforts of teams like Kerry and Mayo trying to dethrone them have provided riveting drama. It will be no less so this year. Sometimes I even dream that we could be that team before the missus yells at me to wake up and go to work.