Cluiche Ceannais Laighean 2017, Cill Dara v Áth Cliath

Started by Donnellys Hollow, June 17, 2017, 11:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I was in Croker yesterday and was very disappointed with Westmeath.

The main thing I've learnt in the last few games is that teams need to push up on Dublin's kickouts and put Cluxton and his defence under pressure. If you allow them easy possession to build from the back you are already handing them the initiative. You might as well lose to Dublin by throwing everything at them. You need to get in their faces and ask them are they up for the fight, not just sit back and try to contain them.

I hope the Kildare management examine Down's performance on Saturday against Monaghan and learn from that.

Galway have beaten Mayo, Down have beaten Monaghan so now it's time for a shock in Leinster.

shark

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 26, 2017, 04:17:06 PM
I was in Croker yesterday and was very disappointed with Westmeath.

The main thing I've learnt in the last few games is that teams need to push up on Dublin's kickouts and put Cluxton and his defence under pressure. If you allow them easy possession to build from the back you are already handing them the initiative. You might as well lose to Dublin by throwing everything at them. You need to get in their faces and ask them are they up for the fight, not just sit back and try to contain them.

I hope the Kildare management examine Down's performance on Saturday against Monaghan and learn from that.

Galway have beaten Mayo, Down have beaten Monaghan so now it's time for a shock in Leinster.

There already was one by your measure. Carlow beat Wexford. They were longer odds than Galway.

Captain Scarlet

Last year Kildare tried defensive and it doesnt work. That doesnt mean we have to be wide open either mind.
In Ollie Lyons, Cribbin etc we have real speed from the back so I hope we can worry the Dubs a bit more.
In terms of keepers. O'Rourke fed the Kildare midfield the last day and WH fed the Dubs losing 22 of 26 of THEIR kick outs.
Kildare have more lads willing to fetch the long ones and lads showing short so that stat should be hugely different. I also think in Brophy and Flynn inside we have two big athletes who will lead the push if Cluxton goes short.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Kildare are in the top 8 so they need a good performance within a few points that they can build on next year. If they click on the day they could even win it. I think Jim McGuinness would recommend diagonal ball into the full forward line. Kildare have lads who can score. Leinster football needs Kildare given the state of things in Meath.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on June 26, 2017, 04:25:51 PM
Last year Kildare tried defensive and it doesnt work. That doesnt mean we have to be wide open either mind.
In Ollie Lyons, Cribbin etc we have real speed from the back so I hope we can worry the Dubs a bit more.
In terms of keepers. O'Rourke fed the Kildare midfield the last day and WH fed the Dubs losing 22 of 26 of THEIR kick outs.
Kildare have more lads willing to fetch the long ones and lads showing short so that stat should be hugely different. I also think in Brophy and Flynn inside we have two big athletes who will lead the push if Cluxton goes short.
The meeja seems to have gone back to Kildare having no chance based on the Westmeath demolition.

But I still think Kildare will cause us problems. Don't give Fenton the run of the place, test the full back line, and don't throw in the towel when Dublin score a quick 1-2.

Will the Kildare fans be back in abundance or is it a bit early for that?

What's the curtain raiser?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hound on June 27, 2017, 04:36:16 PM

I'd say the Dublin backroom team will outnumber the Kildare support.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Kildare fans were well outnumbered against Meath and close to outnumbered by Laois. I can't see the fans coming back to travel to the theatre of misery on Jones Road to see a likely hammering.

seafoid

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 27, 2017, 06:39:46 PM
Kildare fans were well outnumbered against Meath and close to outnumbered by Laois. I can't see the fans coming back to travel to the theatre of misery on Jones Road to see a likely hammering.
The 85 hurling semi was like that. No point in going. Cork were going to hammer Galway. We went. I think it was only 8000 in attendance. And Galway won.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on June 27, 2017, 04:36:16 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on June 26, 2017, 04:25:51 PM
The meeja seems to have gone back to Kildare having no chance based on the Westmeath demolition.

But I still think Kildare will cause us problems. Don't give Fenton the run of the place, test the full back line, and don't throw in the towel when Dublin score a quick 1-2.

What's the curtain raiser?

The minor match. Semi finals are next week.

About 3k Kildare fans for Laois  about 5 for Meath so can't see us bringing any more than 8k for Leinster Final.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

When you see it like that, when you have to play them at home, it will be a miracle if we can stay within 10 points of them, a miracle I tell you..
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

They are expecting a bigger crowd at the hurling this year.

Captain Scarlet

Wexford alone are heading for 30,000 I am told. I just hope Kildare can bring a crowd. It has been awful the last few years.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Wexford can still get a hurling bandwagon going when the opportunity arises.

Kildare won't bring a crowd though, whatever hope we had disappeared with the Westmeath hammering. Too many of the more casual supporters are scarred for life. The lack of support and atmosphere in Croke park has been a major hindrance in recent years for us and it is a vicious circle.