Thanks Andy Mallon

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 20, 2017, 10:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on April 20, 2017, 03:44:27 PM
Great pace and great servant.Pity he was just a year too late for the Sam team.

Will the arrival of players of the calibre of Andy arriving after the AI, it is even more unsatisfactory that there was no second Sam.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Owen Brannigan

Andy Mallon's achievements:

County
Ulster Senior Football Championship: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008
National Football League, Division 1: 2005
National Football League, Division 2: 2010
Ulster Under-21 Football Championship: 2004
All-Ireland Under-21 Football Championship: 2004

Club
Armagh Senior Football Championship: 2009

Individual
All-Star: 2005
Irish News Ulster All-Star: 2005

While the list above is substantial, it does not reflect the immense contribution made by Andy Mallon to the Armagh senior team over 13 years or the amount of time and effort and sacrifice of family time he gave to Armagh especially after his move to Dublin.

Does Andy Mallon's retirement leaves just Ciaran McKeever from the All Ireland winning U-21 squad still playing for the county?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: The Stallion on April 20, 2017, 11:50:28 PM
I've watched him plenty of times. A few other points I'd like to make :

1. I wasn't aware that any newspaper reports ever referred to Mallon as a hardworking but limited footballer. Did they?

No one stated they did, this was your sole opinion.

2. I don't know why you're listing what he won as though that's evidence of his ability. There's plenty of limited footballers who have lots of medals.

It wasn't added in response to your stated opinion but for information and I have amended the post to show this.

3. It's just my opinion, feel free to disagree with it, but there's no need to be rude folks.

I don't believe I have been unpleasant towards you.

The Stallion

I'm puzzled as to why you would ask if my opinion was based on newspaper reports when to the best of my knowledge there isn't a single report which describes Mallon as a limited footballer.

general_lee

Enjoy retirement. Probably could have squeezed another year out but it's not to be. One of Armagh's best players in the last 20 years. As for being a limited footballer, I think someone is just disagreeing for the sake of a bit of trolling

brokencrossbar1

Best of luck to Andy. Never saw him take a roasting and was always one of the simpler straight forward. He was neat, tidy and was great at making breaks from the corner back spot to initiate attacks. Simple doesn't mean limited. It means he made the difficult thinks look simple.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on April 20, 2017, 11:56:41 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 20, 2017, 03:44:27 PM
Great pace and great servant.Pity he was just a year too late for the Sam team.

Will the arrival of players of the calibre of Andy arriving after the AI, it is even more unsatisfactory that there was no second Sam.
Armagh were definitely good enough. But then in  2003 Tyrone took off
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 21, 2017, 09:26:13 AM

Best of luck to Andy. Never saw him take a roasting and was always one of the simpler straight forward. He was neat, tidy and was great at making breaks from the corner back spot to initiate attacks. Simple doesn't mean limited. It means he made the difficult thinks look simple.

+1

Succinctly put as usual.

theskull1

I thought he was a wonderfully consistent player who kept very high standards of fitness in all that time. Must have been a managers dream to work with.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The Stallion

Quote from: general_lee on April 21, 2017, 07:51:34 AM
Enjoy retirement. Probably could have squeezed another year out but it's not to be. One of Armagh's best players in the last 20 years. As for being a limited footballer, I think someone is just disagreeing for the sake of a bit of trolling

I'm just giving my honest opinion. Please don't accuse me of trolling just because you disagree with me, it's quite reductive and unfortunately seems to be the default response from those unable to accept an opinion which differs from their own.

tonto1888

Quote from: The Stallion on April 21, 2017, 11:08:01 AM

I'm just giving my honest opinion. Please don't accuse me of trolling just because you disagree with me, it's quite reductive and unfortunately seems to be the default response from those unable to accept an opinion which differs from their own.

I'd like to know why you're of that opinion considering you really are the only one who has it

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 22, 2017, 07:21:04 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on April 21, 2017, 11:08:01 AM

I'd like to know why you're of that opinion considering you really are the only one who has it

I believe that he has not watched Andy Mallon playing any where near as often as those whose opinions contradict his own.

Il Bomber Destro

I thought Mallon was a superb corner back, a real sticky man marker, pace to burn and could bomb forward at will.

He was immense in the AI QF against Donegal 3 years back,

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 22, 2017, 09:54:19 PM
I thought Mallon was a superb corner back, a real sticky man marker, pace to burn and could bomb forward at will.
He was immense in the AI QF against Donegal 3 years back,

This. He was indeed exceptional in that Donegal game - an individual performance that topped off what had been a brilliant year of form. He should have been awarded with a second All Star but unfortunately for him he paid the price in that regard for the failings of the team in not getting to an All Ireland semi-final.

2002 was indeed our breakthrough year, but there are many Armagh fans who would rate our 2004 and 2005 teams as better. That was down in no small part to the introduction of players such as Andy. Despite his age, his reitrement leaves a major hole in the defence that will not be easily filled.

Would undoubtedly be in the running for the greatest Armagh fifteen I have ever seen - but would be very difficult to try and seperate him and Denis Stevenson for the number two jersey. A wonderful servant to the Armagh cause.

orangeman

Tidy player who delivered consistently - fit as a fiddle.

Enjoy the retirement.