Thanks Andy Mallon

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 20, 2017, 10:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

According to today's Irish News, Andy Mallon has announced he has called it a day on his county football career.

While Andy will not receive the plaudits sent to Colm Cooper, to Armagh supporters he made a contribution as important to Armagh as Cooper's to Kerry or perhaps even more so if you believe Brolly.  Andy never went awol in any game, his guts and determination harnessed to his great talent as a defender and recently as a scoring defender were his main characteristic. He suited the more defensive modern game able to break so fast from defence and turning up in attack to score. Too many times to recount, he saved the day for Armagh with his tenacity, speed and drive.  His experience and talent will be a great loss for an Armagh team that is beginning to show potential.  There is no way that Tipp would have scored a goal to gain promotion if Andy had been marshalling the defence.

Thanks Andy for your immense contribution to Armagh in the good times and in the more recent difficult times.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2017/04/19/news/armagh-legend-andy-mallon-calls-time-on-his-inter-county-career-1000168/

illdecide

Yes, def one of the best defenders Armagh have had. A great footballer and a really nice lad too, enjoy your County retirement and all the best for the future.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

The Stallion

A hardworking but ultimately quite limited footballer. The sort which is quite common to see in today's game unfortunately.

6th sam

Andy Mallon, limited???? Brilliant defender, skilful, intelligent.
Never seemed to indulge in the dark arts, which automatically puts him above several other quality defenders of his generation .

Ethan Tremblay

Great player and great corner back, always tasked with marking the opponents danger man.  His position was never threatened in all his time with Armagh even during their heyday which speaks volumes. 

Not sure what you mean when you say limited? He was an old school corner back who could deny and dispossess, he never had to run 100 yards to spoil his opponents' game!
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

The Stallion

I just thought he was the sort of player who was a 6/10 performer most games, never really one to impose himself on a game. Just my opinion. I understand many disagree with it. I know many people believe you need that sort of player in a team.

tonto1888

Far from a limited player mate.
Anyway, thanks Andy for everything you gave to Armagh football. Best of luck with the future

yellowcard

Far from limited, he was a speed machine who relied on pure footballing skills to nullify many of the best forwards in the game and mostly before the era where one on one tussles became almost redundant.

Never got the plaudits outside the county that most inside the county recognised, probably because he stayed out of the limelight and simply let his football do the talking. Also missed out the AI success by a year which may have had something to do with it. Started the following years AI final at 19 years of age though in the defeat to Tyrone which tells you the level of ability that he had.   

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on April 20, 2017, 01:34:45 PM
Far from limited, he was a speed machine who relied on pure footballing skills to nullify many of the best forwards in the game and mostly before the era where one on one tussles became almost redundant.

Never got the plaudits outside the county that most inside the county recognised, probably because he stayed out of the limelight and simply let his football do the talking. Also missed out the AI success by a year which may have had something to do with it. Started the following years AI final at 19 years of age though in the defeat to Tyrone which tells you the level of ability that he had.   

Unless he's 50 he didn't have many years before 2003 under his belt..

Taylor

Quote from: 6th sam on April 20, 2017, 11:49:37 AM
Andy Mallon, limited???? Brilliant defender, skilful, intelligent.
Never seemed to indulge in the dark arts, which automatically puts him above several other quality defenders of his generation .

I remember him almost crushing E Bradleys larynx so not quite through.

Good player however who always got the job of marking the start player on opposing team. Does he still play club ball?

T Fearon

Great pace and great servant.Pity he was just a year too late for the Sam team.

ardchieftain

Quote from: The Stallion on April 20, 2017, 11:41:28 AM
A hardworking but ultimately quite limited footballer. The sort which is quite common to see in today's game unfortunately.

After reading this i didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Limited my hole!

Andy Mallon was one of the greatest defenders Armagh have EVER had. Never hid, gave nothing less than everything he had for the jersey and led by example. I'm gutted that he couldn't give it one more year but such is life. Many thanks Andy, to most Armagh people you will always be a legend.

regal

Stallion, you're very much mistaken here I'm afraid. An absolutely outstanding corner back, I'd say in the top 2 or 3 in the country between 2003 and 2010.

I think it's probably the right time to bow out. Armagh have unearthed a few new defenders during the league campaign and they deserve their chance in the championship. Seanie Johnston kicked a few scores of Andy in last years championship whereas he wouldn't have touched it when Andy was at his imperious best.

Very best wishes in retirement

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: The Stallion on April 20, 2017, 11:41:28 AM

How many times have you actually watched Andy Mallon or does your opinion rely media reports?

The Stallion

I've watched him plenty of times. A few other points I'd like to make :

1. I wasn't aware that any newspaper reports ever referred to Mallon as a hardworking but limited footballer. Did they?

2. I don't know why you're listing what he won as though that's evidence of his ability. There's plenty of limited footballers who have lots of medals.

3. It's just my opinion, feel free to disagree with it, but there's no need to be rude folks.