all ireland football qualifiers 2017.

Started by cornetto, April 19, 2017, 07:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Well, we drew the short straw  :'(

A hoor of a trip up to Ballybofey where we lost before in the AIQs to Donegal. 2006 or thereabouts.

armaghniac

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 19, 2017, 09:15:45 AM

A hoor of a trip up to Ballybofey where we lost before in the AIQs to Donegal. 2006 or thereabouts.

Well the weather may be sunny  8)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mano

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 18, 2017, 11:22:43 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 18, 2017, 08:58:32 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on June 17, 2017, 06:59:06 PM
Sending off for Antrim was a turning point for 2 reason

1) Antrim down to 14
2) give us a chance to. Ring on a fast player Kyle Cawley to replace a injured Mark Breheny.

I hope Mark is okay. It I think he should be a sub for the next day, once sligo played fast direc football they were unstoppable.

Don't know why Kevin McDonnell didn't start .

Absolutely no defensible reason for this. And the ongoing joke selection of keeper almost cost us. Thankfully Antrim shot themselves in the foot with the sending off. Frustrating to have this going on because I think we could be decent of the team was picked properly with some sort of tactics and gameplan.

Mayo in Castlebar the next day, wait till you see.
It beggars belief, let in a ridiculously soft goal and was damned lucky not to give away another in the first half, our best keeper is beyond in the States and probably the next best walked off the panel, mind you if you were sitting on the bench for that clown you'd wonder why bother. It almost makes one pine for the somewhat more moderate hopelessness of Fizzy.

No need for the personalised attack Owenmoresider. The lad makes the sacrifices to play for his county like all the others. He has a well documented weakness under the high ball but is a good shot stopper and his kickouts are decent. Its hardly his fault that the Coolera keeper is in the States and the backup keeper decided to go travelling.

Meath the next game will be a very difficult assignment. They looked very poor against Kildare especially at midfield and fullback line. If we can keep Graham Reilly quiet like Kildare did we may a chance.

cornetto

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 19, 2017, 08:45:48 AM
Meath v Sligo
Mayo v Derry
Donegal v Longford
Laois v Clare

Interesting enough of a draw but can't see any shocks forthcoming.
meath,mayo,donegal,clare
Next round should be interesting though.!!

J70

Didn't you go over to Clones and beat Monaghan last year?

Rory Gallagher has a massive task on his hands after yesterday. Donegal could be out for blood (figuratively!) or they also be nervous and unsure as f**k, both in themselves AND the manager.

I do remember us playing you in 2003 after a similarly demoralizing non-performance against Fermanagh and our win in Ballybofey kick-starting a run to the AI semis. That was an experienced team though, and we got a relatively favourable run of Sligo, Tipp and Down before Galway in the quarters.

Taylor

Looks like Sligo played 7 subs yesterday.

Rules state they should lose thee game - or will Antrim kindly offer a replay like Armagh did v Laois last year?

Rules are rules so it could be Meath v Antrim

sligoman2

Well if we did play 7 subs then it's inexcusable.  There's an army of people on the line, can nobody count?

The subs I recall are
Laffey
Henry
McDonnell
Cawley
O kelly Lynch
Did Gilmartin come on?

Who else am I missing

Best case we have a replay next week in Belfast
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 19, 2017, 12:13:05 PM
Well if we did play 7 subs then it's inexcusable.  There's an army of people on the line, can nobody count?

The subs I recall are
Laffey
Henry
McDonnell
Cawley
O kelly Lynch
Did Gilmartin come on?

Who else am I missing

Best case we have a replay next week in Belfast
Gilmartin came in alright and so did Cummins. A farce worthy of our setup.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: J70 on June 19, 2017, 11:54:12 AM

Didn't you go over to Clones and beat Monaghan last year?

Rory Gallagher has a massive task on his hands after yesterday. Donegal could be out for blood (figuratively!) or they also be nervous and unsure as f**k, both in themselves AND the manager.

I do remember us playing you in 2003 after a similarly demoralizing non-performance against Fermanagh and our win in Ballybofey kick-starting a run to the AI semis. That was an experienced team though, and we got a relatively favourable run of Sligo, Tipp and Down before Galway in the quarters.

Ach J70 - was it 2003. I remember getting stuck behind an aul wan going to mass so I missed the throw in.

I know we pulled off a shock last year but we cannot keep doing it. Our best forward may be missing (2 sendings off in the recent past) and we were already a little lighter than last year in scoring power. But I hope to get there and shout and roar encouragement Shur, that's what it's all about.

T Fearon

Gearoid Adams demands the Sligo manager must step down before Antrim will return to the All Ireland engagement

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Mano on June 19, 2017, 10:57:41 AM

1) Antrim down to 14
2) give us a chance to. Ring on a fast player Kyle Cawley to replace a injured Mark Breheny.

I hope Mark is okay. It I think he should be a sub for the next day, once sligo played fast direc football they were unstoppable.

Absolutely no defensible reason for this. And the ongoing joke selection of keeper almost cost us. Thankfully Antrim shot themselves in the foot with the sending off. Frustrating to have this going on because I think we could be decent of the team was picked properly with some sort of tactics and gameplan.

It beggars belief, let in a ridiculously soft goal and was damned lucky not to give away another in the first half, our best keeper is beyond in the States and probably the next best walked off the panel, mind you if you were sitting on the bench for that clown you'd wonder why bother. It almost makes one pine for the somewhat more moderate hopelessness of Fizzy.

No need for the personalised attack Owenmoresider. The lad makes the sacrifices to play for his county like all the others. He has a well documented weakness under the high ball but is a good shot stopper and his kickouts are decent. Its hardly his fault that the Coolera keeper is in the States and the backup keeper decided to go travelling.

Meath the next game will be a very difficult assignment. They looked very poor against Kildare especially at midfield and fullback line. If we can keep Graham Reilly quiet like Kildare did we may a chance.
Yes lots of players make those sacrifices no more than him, but surely after 3/4 years it's obvious he is still a liability, whatever about the one he let in, standing and looking at that ball bouncing up and off the post in the first half was ridiculous, luckily one of the backs (Donovan?) got in the way of the Antrim forward pouncing on the rebound. Making one or two heroic saves are all well and good when you're then giving away such sloppy goals, Greene used to make a few of those saves too but it hardly masked his other failings. And saying the kickouts are decent is a little generous, better than 2015 maybe but that's hardly a bar you'd want to be setting. Naturally he doesn't but the manager might well have some culpability about the absentee keepers you refer to.

Mano

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 19, 2017, 12:33:30 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 19, 2017, 10:57:41 AM

1) Antrim down to 14

Yes lots of players make those sacrifices no more than him, but surely after 3/4 years it's obvious he is still a liability, whatever about the one he let in, standing and looking at that ball bouncing up and off the post in the first half was ridiculous, luckily one of the backs (Donovan?) got in the way of the Antrim forward pouncing on the rebound. Making one or two heroic saves are all well and good when you're then giving away such sloppy goals, Greene used to make a few of those saves too but it hardly masked his other failings. And saying the kickouts are decent is a little generous, better than 2015 maybe but that's hardly a bar you'd want to be setting. Naturally he doesn't but the manager might well have some culpability about the absentee keepers you refer to.
No need to call the lad a clown though

seafoid

Tough assignment alright but the Larries have faced steep odds in the past and beaten them off the pitch.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Shamrock Shore

Good stuff Seafoid. We do out best to represent the little lads.

As for Sligo. I do agree some of the comments on the goalie are harsh but that's as much as I will say. But as for the 7 subs. Well, then the word "clown" is not harsh for the officials. There are enough goms with clipboards on the sideline to realise when 6 subs are used.

Ok - the precedence is set from last year in that there is a replay. Sligo will be lucky to get out of Corrigan Park unless Antrim players in the 24 hours have committed to the States to holidays etc.

T Fearon

Last year,Armagh had to return to Laois for the replay,so I imagine Antrim will have to go back to Sligo