Top 10 forwards of past 40 years - a Board poll - Open until 21st April 2017

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 15, 2017, 05:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UlsterMan2

Not to be a spoilt sport, but your never gonna get a top 10 imo, cause as a down man I've argued how good Benny Coulter was, and have been told he wouldn't get on the 90's teams, which I disagree with and have been told that's my opinion

Taylor

Quote from: UlsterMan2 on April 18, 2017, 02:15:40 AM
Not to be a spoilt sport, but your never gonna get a top 10 imo, cause as a down man I've argued how good Benny Coulter was, and have been told he wouldn't get on the 90's teams, which I disagree with and have been told that's my opinion
Coulter in his pomp perhaps but was he good enough for long enough?

PTG, SON and Sean C for example have all been at the top of the game for much much longer

The Stallion

I'm baffled as to how so many people think Coulter is even worthy of consideration. He wasn't even in the top 5 forwards in Ulster during his heyday.

Taylor

Quote from: The Stallion on April 18, 2017, 09:57:25 AM
I'm baffled as to how so many people think Coulter is even worthy of consideration. He wasn't even in the top 5 forwards in Ulster during his heyday.

Dont you know he scored a great goal in an under 16 final?

You Tube it...........worthy of admission to the list alone

rosnarun

Connor Matt
Cooper Colm
Corkery Colin
Donnellan Michael
Fitzgerald Maurice
Giles Trevor
Keaveney Jimmy
Spillane Pat
Tompkins Larry

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Taylor

Maurice Fitzgerald
Colm Cooper
John Egan
Peter Canavan
Oisin McConville
Stephen ONeill
Ciaran McDonald
Mickey Linden
Colm ORourke
Larry Thompkins

Jinxy

Benny Coulter was a poor man's Ollie Murphy.
That's still pretty damn good though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

dúnros

its near an impossible thing to do, these lists.
you could pick four different lists of ten players, and still not be content which one to go for.
to reinforce this, even just going through some leinster counties in my head, there are men, that I saw playing, left out of main list, who maybe should have made it.
surely brian Stafford of meath could have made main list. with all the recent "crowing" about dean rock's abilities as a free taker, anyone that saw stafford regularly would agree with me that he would put dean in his pocket as regard free-taking.
the people of Longford wouldn't have too many bad things to say about dessie barry ?
in Westmeath, just before dessie dolan, was larry giles, an exceptional player, but very few outside leinster would have seen him play.
offaly's peter brady ? (IMO a finer player than vinny claffey)
laois' tom curly predergast or beano McDonald, or ross munelly ?
louth's Stephan white ?
surely the biggest omission of them all is Dublin's Vinnie murphy ? (possibly bobby doyle ? dessie Farrell ?)
not leinster, but same could be said of cavan's ronan carolan, as I said about Stafford.
if I kept going around the counties, I say id pick a few more that should have made the main list.

none of above is meant as a criticism Owen B ,as I say, selecting ten players is a near impossible thing to do.
as soon as you'd settle on ten, you'd realise you've left out someone !

Jinxy

You'd nearly have to break it down by category of forward.
A high-scoring corner forward will always get more headlines than a wing-forward who's a breaking-ball machine and covers every blade of grass on the field, or a centre-forward who pulls all the strings.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

What's the obsession with forwards anyway?
Top 10 midfielders of the last 40 years would be more interesting.
Although we can pretty much ignore the last 10 years.

snoopdog

Quote from: The Stallion on April 18, 2017, 09:57:25 AM
Benny didnt have the quality around him that steven o neil or peter canavan had . Pu them or the Gooch in a team that compared to most of the Down teams Coulter played in and i wonder if they would get the same reverance they hold now.   

The Stallion

It's irrelevant how good or bad the team around him were, you can tell the quality of players like Forde even when they are in poor sides. And the bottom line is Coulter just wasn't that great.

A good footballer but not a great one. Not even in the top 5 in Ulster in his era.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on April 18, 2017, 12:34:20 PM
You'd nearly have to break it down by category of forward.
A high-scoring corner forward will always get more headlines than a wing-forward who's a breaking-ball machine and covers every blade of grass on the field, or a centre-forward who pulls all the strings.
Too much nuance, Jinxy. The people don't like nuance.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: The Stallion on April 18, 2017, 04:29:25 PM
It's irrelevant how good or bad the team around him were, you can tell the quality of players like Forde even when they are in poor sides. And the bottom line is Coulter just wasn't that great.

A good footballer but not a great one. Not even in the top 5 in Ulster in his era.

Coulter was a great forward.