All this league positivity talk and yet no thread for the final

Started by Fuzzman, April 07, 2017, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 07, 2017, 11:15:48 PM
As  I see it, the jackeens vs the culchies is all right for a bit of pub talk and some waffle on internet forums (fora?) but Dublin's dominance on the field  right now isn't my biggest concern. I think Jim Gavin is a good manager and a very nice chap and he's only making the best of what he has at his disposal, as any manager worth his salt would do.
But there are socio-economic forces at work that will propel Dublin further and farther away from the chasing pack and that can't be good for Dublin and for the whole of culchie land.
Rural communities along the western seaboard are being decimated by the drift of people from the land to the towns and cities along the eastern coast. That's a fact of life and it's tearing the heart out of towns and villages in Mayo, Galway and every other with its arse to the Atlantic. Anyone who takes a walk around Ballinrobe or Kiltimagh or other small towns in Mayo on any night will find pubs shut down and shops that were shuttered a few years ago.
The arrival of multinational supermarkets on the scene has given the kibosh to small shops that served as social centres, just as blacksmiths' forges did in previous generations. THe GAA is in serious trouble, at least in the short to medium term as the young , fit and ambitious are packing up in greater numbers than ever before.
You have assloads of clubs in Dublin that have no room for new members while you have the likes of Parke-Keelouges- Crimlin trying to survive in Mayo. (Where did the three names come from? Go figure....)
Dublin can only get bigger and better and further ahead of the rest, there is no other logical alternative. But the percentage of the population of those who engage actively in GAA affairs is decreasing. I mentioned Erin's Isle before- a middling-sized club with a catchment  area with the same population as County Cavan. One club to represent over 72,000 people!  And that's only one example.
Not good for the future of the GAA.
Believe me, there may be is trouble ahead!

The Parish of Parke (also half of Turlough), The Parish of Keelogues (also half of Turlough and Ballyvary) and Crimlin (half parish of Parke). Name was Changed for just Parke which it was called up to lately. After a big row! The name came about to keep a lot of people happy and to stop players from Keelogues being Robbed by neighbouring Clubs!

The reality is that it is still known as Parke to everybody.

johnpower

It will be a challenge for Kerry on Sunday no doubt but hopefully they will make a game of it d spite missing a few key players and some potentially good u21. Some of the comments on the the thread are very real but my experienc of living outside of kerry and Dublin is that , apart from Tyrone , Monaghan, Donegal and Kerry that teams (and interest amongst fans and clubs) has fallen away . outsiðe of Leinster (55 % of the population) amalgamations are fact of life so I would suggest focussing on the schools to develop interest in the game and skills in players. Really surprised recently to read that the number of clubs in Leinster outside of Dublin has dropped that for me is a big concern.

joemamas

As  I see it, the jackeens vs the culchies is all right for a bit of pub talk and some waffle on internet forums (fora?) but Dublin's dominance on the field  right now isn't my biggest concern. I think Jim Gavin is a good manager and a very nice chap and he's only making the best of what he has at his disposal, as any manager worth his salt would do.
But there are socio-economic forces at work that will propel Dublin further and farther away from the chasing pack and that can't be good for Dublin and for the whole of culchie land.
Rural communities along the western seaboard are being decimated by the drift of people from the land to the towns and cities along the eastern coast. That's a fact of life and it's tearing the heart out of towns and villages in Mayo, Galway and every other with its arse to the Atlantic. Anyone who takes a walk around Ballinrobe or Kiltimagh or other small towns in Mayo on any night will find pubs shut down and shops that were shuttered a few years ago.
The arrival of multinational supermarkets on the scene has given the kibosh to small shops that served as social centres, just as blacksmiths' forges did in previous generations. THe GAA is in serious trouble, at least in the short to medium term as the young , fit and ambitious are packing up in greater numbers than ever before.
You have assloads of clubs in Dublin that have no room for new members while you have the likes of Parke-Keelouges- Crimlin trying to survive in Mayo. (Where did the three names come from? Go figure....)
Dublin can only get bigger and better and further ahead of the rest, there is no other logical alternative. But the percentage of the population of those who engage actively in GAA affairs is decreasing. I mentioned Erin's Isle before- a middling-sized club with a catchment  area with the same population as County Cavan. One club to represent over 72,000 people!  And that's only one example.

Some very valid scary points, as for sure nothing will change in near term.
Digressing from football, but you have to wonder why Govt do not invest more in Knock (Ireland west) airport.
Not at all meant to be a politician comment but it would at least potentially stop the rot, by aiding both tourism and long term capital spending by corporations.

Btw, I think Dublin will win by at least 6. They should have won last years fixture by 12pts v a far better Kerry team.
Not convinced at all with the current new Kerry players.
James O Donouhgue also out.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2017, 12:05:54 AM

The Parish of Parke (also half of Turlough), The Parish of Keelogues (also half of Turlough and Ballyvary) and Crimlin (half parish of Parke). Name was Changed for just Parke which it was called up to lately. After a big row! The name came about to keep a lot of people happy and to stop players from Keelogues being Robbed by neighbouring Clubs!

I know the craic alright.
I was addressing that at those who can see nothing wrong with Dublin's stranglehold on the game for now and forever.  The whole goddamn lot may play as Parke but look at the area that once had three clubs and now has only one. Amalgamations left right and centre to try and keep the game alive.
As John Power says, the number of clubs in Leinster is dropping as well so what hope is there for Connacht and the other counties isolated counties? Population figures give a false impression of what the reality is.
Figures are skewed by the number of non-nationals coming to live in those counties. The actual population in the counties I have in mind may have increased somewhat, (apart from Mayo) but the fact is they are not GAA-oriented. Anyone know when the last rural club in rural counties was founded? Very few in cities and large towns but none I have heard of in country areas.
The probability is that things are going to get worse not better.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: joemamas on April 08, 2017, 01:55:23 AM

Some very valid scary points, as for sure nothing will change in near term.
Digressing from football, but you have to wonder why Govt do not invest more in Knock (Ireland west) airport.
Not at all meant to be a politician comment but it would at least potentially stop the rot, by aiding both tourism and long term capital spending by corporations.

Btw, I think Dublin will win by at least 6. They should have won last years fixture by 12pts v a far better Kerry team.

Not convinced at all with the current new Kerry players.
James O Donouhgue also out.
I sure do and I got it from the horse's (aka Monsignor Horan) mouth. At the time we were talking, there was one Dáil seat at most in Mayo that could change hands at a General Election, whereas there were possibly three in Limerick/Clare that could go FF or FG if Knock was allowed to do anything that might take business from Shannon.

tonto1888

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 08, 2017, 09:13:03 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 08, 2017, 07:58:57 AM
What time is throw in and is it on tele?
4pm on TG4.

Very thoughtful  time for the handful of Kerry  supporters going to the game.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2017, 09:26:08 AM
4pm on TG4.

At least the traffic won't be too heavy on the way home for the poor divileens. Unlike All Ireland final day, and the match only throws in half an hour earlier.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tonto1888

seafoid

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 08, 2017, 02:11:43 AM

I was addressing that at those who can see nothing wrong with Dublin's stranglehold on the game for now and forever.  The whole goddamn lot may play as Parke but look at the area that once had three clubs and now has only one. Amalgamations left right and centre to try and keep the game alive.
As John Power says, the number of clubs in Leinster is dropping as well so what hope is there for Connacht and the other counties isolated counties? Population figures give a false impression of what the reality is.
Figures are skewed by the number of non-nationals coming to live in those counties. The actual population in the counties I have in mind may have increased somewhat, (apart from Mayo) but the fact is they are not GAA-oriented. Anyone know when the last rural club in rural counties was founded? Very few in cities and large towns but none I have heard of in country areas.

The Dubs have a long term success rate of around 19% of all Irelands.
They won a higher percentage pre 1921
This team is dependent on 6 or 7 key players who won't be around forever.

On the economic front things are probably going to change soon because the system
doesn't work for the majority of people.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on April 08, 2017, 11:13:25 AM

On the economic front things are probably going to change soon because the system
Far from me bit it to fight with you but the facts don't support your argument.
The idea that when Berno and Clucko and Dermo and Flynner and the likes retire, the Dubs will drop back into the pack once more is wishful thinking at best  and a sign that whoever belives that could do with a spell in a home for the bewildered.
What about McCaffrey, McCarthy, Fenton, Kilkenny, Costello, Small, Rock and all who are coming through in a never ending stream? Even if you could discount the fact that Dublin won't be going away any time soon, there's the little matter of finance involved. Nowadays, it takes more to prepare a team to win an All Ireland than it took to put Neil Armstrong on the moon. Mayo and Kerry and Tyrone or Donegal etc. won't be able to keep up the challenge year after year. They're bankrupting themselves as it is.
Statistics? Like Mark Twain said, there's lies, damn lies and statistics.
What happened fadó, fadó has no bearing on the present or future because of the changed social and economic conditions that prevail now.  Besides, Dublin didn't have their Blue Wave initiative in operation until 2011.

seafoid

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 08, 2017, 11:55:20 AM

The idea that when Berno and Clucko and Dermo and Flynner and the likes retire, the Dubs will drop back into the pack once more is wishful thinking at best  and a sign that whoever belives that could do with a spell in a home for the bewildered.
What about McCaffrey, McCarthy, Fenton, Kilkenny, Costello, Small, Rock and all who are coming through in a never ending stream? Even if you could discount the fact that Dublin won't be going away any time soon, there's the little matter of finance involved. Nowadays, it takes more to prepare a team to win an All Ireland than it took to put Neil Armstrong on the moon. Mayo and Kerry and Tyrone or Donegal etc. won't be able to keep up the challenge year after year. They're bankrupting themselves as it is.
What happened fadó, fadó has no bearing on the present or future because of the changed social and economic conditions that prevail now.  Besides, Dublin didn't have their Blue Wave initiative in operation until 2011.

Fadó, fadó is important because of how economic systems work. Now is most similar to the 1930s for example.

Mayo and Donegal might fall back but other counties will replace them.
Dublin's economic success is built on debt and speculation. Debt will probably be written off in the new system. 

I dont think Jim Gavin will emulate Brian Cody either.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 08, 2017, 09:41:03 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2017, 09:26:08 AM
4pm on TG4.

At least the traffic won't be too heavy on the way home for the poor divileens. Unlike All Ireland final day, and the match only throws in half an hour earlier.

4 hours (350km) one way to Dingle! The traffic wouldn't want to be heavy!

Zulu

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 08, 2017, 11:55:20 AM

I don't agree with this. Flynn, Cluxton, Connolly and Brogan will be considered amongst the best if not the best players to have played their position. In the same way Tyrone have still produced very good footballers they haven't replaced the likes of O'Neill, Canavan, McGuigan, Dooher etc. with players of similar ability.

Kerry are producing more young players likely to be regarded as great players. Dublin have and will continue to produce very good to great players but they won't always have the truly great players they've have now. If Dublin had won the last three minor All Irelands it would be used as further evidence of Dublin's certain future dominance yet it seems it's not evidence of Kerry's future dominance. These young players will be (are) joining a panel with brilliant players like Moran, O'Donoghue, Geaney etc. so Kerry will match Dublin in the near future.

Mayo would have beaten this Dublin team already if they had better forwards. Kerry will shortly have enough of them to do it. Monaghan are a county the rest of the country would do well to take heed of. With a small population and limited resources they have established themselves as a top 6 team for a number of years. Why can't bigger, better resourced counties do better?

In saying that, I do appreciate the broader economic issues and population trends but I'm not sure what the GAA can do about that or how we can change  our IC competitions to reflect those realities.