Munster Senior and Minor Football Championship 2017

Started by Ball Hopper, April 06, 2017, 09:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

Munster Senior Football Championship 2017

Quarter-Final 1:  Waterford v Cork, Dungarvan, 27 or 28 May
Quarter-Final 2:  Clare v Limerick, Ennis, 27 or 28 May

Semi-final 1: Kerry v Clare or Limerick, Ennis or Killarney, 10 or 11 June
Semi-final 2: Tipperary v Cork or Waterford, Pairc Ui Rinn or Thurles, 10 June 5pm

Final: 2 July

Minor Football Championship

QF 1: Tipperary v Cork, Thurles, 12 April
QF 2: Kerry v Clare, Tralee, 12 April
QF 3: Limerick v Waterford, Limerick 12 April

Play-off 1: Kerry/Clare loser v Waterford/Limerick loser, 19 April
QF 4/Play-off 2: Winner of Play-off 1 v Tipperary/Cork loser, 26 April

Semi-final 1:  10 May
Semi-final 1:  10 May

Final 1:  2 July

macdanger2

Kerry's odds slightly shorter after yesterday in to 11/4 from 7/2. Geaney favourite @8/1 for poty

rosnarun

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 10, 2017, 10:40:43 AM
Kerry's odds slightly shorter after yesterday in to 11/4 from 7/2. Geaney favourite @8/1 for poty
I have Cluxton at 250/1 . does some on know something i dont . surelay as captain and possible best play on a possible 3 in a row team would have a fair shout for POTY?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Dire Ear

Can't think of a keeper winning awards too often

yellowcard

Fitzmaurice after yesterdays game said that the national league is the third most importnat competition for Kerry. I'm presuming that he meant it was behind the munster championship and I find that logic bizarre given the hapless opposition in munster. It's not just a Kerry thing but I find it strange why counties should feel the need to almost feel embarrassed about winning a national title. It is a competition against the 7 other top sides in Ireland in which they came out on top and yet they maintain that a 2 horse (if you are being very kind) provincial race against mid-lower ranked teams has more status than a national title. Just don't get that flawed logic at all. 

macdanger2

Quote from: rosnarun on April 10, 2017, 10:44:17 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on April 10, 2017, 10:40:43 AM
I have Cluxton at 250/1 . does some on know something i dont . surelay as captain and possible best play on a possible 3 in a row team would have a fair shout for POTY?

Good odds

AZOffaly

Quote from: yellowcard on April 10, 2017, 11:31:16 AM
Fitzmaurice after yesterdays game said that the national league is the third most importnat competition for Kerry. I'm presuming that he meant it was behind the munster championship and I find that logic bizarre given the hapless opposition in munster. It's not just a Kerry thing but I find it strange why counties should feel the need to almost feel embarrassed about winning a national title. It is a competition against the 7 other top sides in Ireland in which they came out on top and yet they maintain that a 2 horse (if you are being very kind) provincial race against mid-lower ranked teams has more status than a national title. Just don't get that flawed logic at all.

The hapless opposition in Munster now take up 4 of the top 16 spots in the country.

yellowcard

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 10, 2017, 12:58:53 PM

The hapless opposition in Munster now take up 4 of the top 16 spots in the country.

Based on final League position (the most reasonable guide to current standing) their rankings were as follows:

Kerry 2
Cork 12
Clare 13
Tipp 18
Limerick 29
Waterford 30

I think their description as mid-lower ranked counties is accurate. There is a huge gap between Kerry and the rest despite how you try to dress it up.

AZOffaly

Yes but you also said hapless. That's harsh when 4 of them will operate in the top 2 divisions next year at least.

Maroon Manc

I don't find it bizarre and can fully understand why its 3rd on his list of priorities. Fitzmaurice would be far more concerned at losing a Munster than a league final. Championship is everything.

yellowcard

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 10, 2017, 01:23:11 PM

I don't find it bizarre and can fully understand why its 3rd on his list of priorities. Fitzmaurice would be far more concerned at losing a Munster than a league final. Championship is everything.

The All Ireland series is everything. The only value a Munster championship is to Kerry is in ensuring the smoothest possible route into an AI quarter final and not as a competition in it's own right. Similar with Dublin in Leinster. The national league is not a regional competition and is played among the top 8 teams in the country and so generally its is the best gauge as to a teams performance level. Why should a regional competition with a few average sides and a few minnows hold more prestige with Kerry than beating the best teams in the country.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: yellowcard on April 10, 2017, 01:36:08 PM

The All Ireland series is everything. The only value a Munster championship is to Kerry is in ensuring the smoothest possible route into an AI quarter final and not as a competition in it's own right. Similar with Dublin in Leinster. The national league is not a regional competition and is played among the top 8 teams in the country and so generally its is the best gauge as to a teams performance level. Why should a regional competition with a few average sides and a few minnows hold more prestige with Kerry than beating the best teams in the country.

You answered your own question

twohands!!!

Quote from: yellowcard on April 10, 2017, 01:36:08 PM

The worse a team is the more value they put on the provincial championship.

Ball Hopper

Minor Football Championship Update 12 April Quarter Final games:

QF 1: Cork 3-21 Tipperary 1-8
QF 2: Kerry 2-16  Clare 1-6
QF 3: Limerick 1-10 Waterford 0-9

Play-off 1: Clare v Waterford, 19 April
QF 4/Play-off 2: Winner of Play-off 1 v Tipperary, 26 April

Semi-final 1:  Cork v Kerry (provisional)
Semi-Final 2: Limerick v QF4 Winner (provisional)

Since the losing semi final teams are out of the competition completely (the losing finalists play in AI quarter finals), the Cork/Kerry meeting should be a spicy affair.

EDIT 2 April 14 (EDIT 1 deleted):  The draw has decreed Cork to play Kerry and Limerick to play the winner of the Semi-final play-off between the other 3 teams. If Waterford qualify for the semi-final, then they cannot play Limerick (having already met in the Q-Final).  In that scenario, the semi-final line-up would be Cork v Waterford and Kerry v Limerick.

Ball Hopper

Minor Football Championship Update 20 April to update Play-off 1 and confirm semi-final pairings:

QF 1: Cork 3-21 Tipperary 1-8
QF 2: Kerry 2-16  Clare 1-6
QF 3: Limerick 1-10 Waterford 0-9

Play-off 1: Clare 5-11 Waterford 0-6
QF 4/Play-off 2: Clare v Tipperary, 26 April in Ennis

Semi-final 1:  Cork v Kerry 10 May in Cork
Semi-Final 2: Limerick v Clare or Tipperary, 10 May in Limerick

Final: on 2 July