Author Topic: Munster Senior and Minor Football Championship 2017  (Read 481 times)

Ball Hopper

• View Profile
Munster Senior and Minor Football Championship 2017
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »
Munster Senior Football Championship 2017

Quarter-Final 1:  Waterford v Cork, Dungarvan, 27 or 28 May
Quarter-Final 2:  Clare v Limerick, Ennis, 27 or 28 May

Semi-final 1: Kerry v Clare or Limerick, Ennis or Killarney, 10 or 11 June
Semi-final 2: Tipperary v Cork or Waterford, Pairc Ui Rinn or Thurles, 10 June 5pm

Final: 2 July

Minor Football Championship

QF 1: Tipperary v Cork, Thurles, 12 April
QF 2: Kerry v Clare, Tralee, 12 April
QF 3: Limerick v Waterford, Limerick 12 April

Play-off 1: Kerry/Clare loser v Waterford/Limerick loser, 19 April
QF 4/Play-off 2: Winner of Play-off 1 v Tipperary/Cork loser, 26 April

Semi-final 1:  10 May
Semi-final 1:  10 May

Final 1:  2 July

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:19:49 PM by Ball Hopper »

macdanger2

• View Profile
Re: Munster Senior and Minor Football Championship 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 10:40:43 AM »
Kerry's odds slightly shorter after yesterday in to 11/4 from 7/2. Geaney favourite @8/1 for poty

rosnarun

• Maigheo Abú
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:44:17 AM »
Kerry's odds slightly shorter after yesterday in to 11/4 from 7/2. Geaney favourite @8/1 for poty
I have Cluxton at 250/1 . does some on know something i dont . surelay as captain and possible best play on a possible 3 in a row team would have a fair shout for POTY?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Dire Ear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »
Can't think of a keeper winning awards too often

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 11:31:16 AM »
Fitzmaurice after yesterdays game said that the national league is the third most importnat competition for Kerry. I'm presuming that he meant it was behind the munster championship and I find that logic bizarre given the hapless opposition in munster. It's not just a Kerry thing but I find it strange why counties should feel the need to almost feel embarrassed about winning a national title. It is a competition against the 7 other top sides in Ireland in which they came out on top and yet they maintain that a 2 horse (if you are being very kind) provincial race against mid-lower ranked teams has more status than a national title. Just don't get that flawed logic at all. 

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »
I have Cluxton at 250/1 . does some on know something i dont . surelay as captain and possible best play on a possible 3 in a row team would have a fair shout for POTY?

Good odds

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
Fitzmaurice after yesterdays game said that the national league is the third most importnat competition for Kerry. I'm presuming that he meant it was behind the munster championship and I find that logic bizarre given the hapless opposition in munster. It's not just a Kerry thing but I find it strange why counties should feel the need to almost feel embarrassed about winning a national title. It is a competition against the 7 other top sides in Ireland in which they came out on top and yet they maintain that a 2 horse (if you are being very kind) provincial race against mid-lower ranked teams has more status than a national title. Just don't get that flawed logic at all.

The hapless opposition in Munster now take up 4 of the top 16 spots in the country.

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 01:04:31 PM »

The hapless opposition in Munster now take up 4 of the top 16 spots in the country.

Based on final League position (the most reasonable guide to current standing) their rankings were as follows:

Kerry 2
Cork 12
Clare 13
Tipp 18
Limerick 29
Waterford 30

I think their description as mid-lower ranked counties is accurate. There is a huge gap between Kerry and the rest despite how you try to dress it up.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 01:14:05 PM »
Yes but you also said hapless. That's harsh when 4 of them will operate in the top 2 divisions next year at least.

Maroon Manc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 01:23:11 PM »

I don't find it bizarre and can fully understand why its 3rd on his list of priorities. Fitzmaurice would be far more concerned at losing a Munster than a league final. Championship is everything.

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »

I don't find it bizarre and can fully understand why its 3rd on his list of priorities. Fitzmaurice would be far more concerned at losing a Munster than a league final. Championship is everything.

The All Ireland series is everything. The only value a Munster championship is to Kerry is in ensuring the smoothest possible route into an AI quarter final and not as a competition in it's own right. Similar with Dublin in Leinster. The national league is not a regional competition and is played among the top 8 teams in the country and so generally its is the best gauge as to a teams performance level. Why should a regional competition with a few average sides and a few minnows hold more prestige with Kerry than beating the best teams in the country.

Maroon Manc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 01:39:13 PM »

The All Ireland series is everything. The only value a Munster championship is to Kerry is in ensuring the smoothest possible route into an AI quarter final and not as a competition in it's own right. Similar with Dublin in Leinster. The national league is not a regional competition and is played among the top 8 teams in the country and so generally its is the best gauge as to a teams performance level. Why should a regional competition with a few average sides and a few minnows hold more prestige with Kerry than beating the best teams in the country.

You answered your own question

twohands!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 03:17:54 PM »

The worse a team is the more value they put on the provincial championship.

Ball Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 12:23:17 AM »
Minor Football Championship Update 12 April Quarter Final games:

QF 1: Cork 3-21 Tipperary 1-8
QF 2: Kerry 2-16  Clare 1-6
QF 3: Limerick 1-10 Waterford 0-9

Play-off 1: Clare v Waterford, 19 April
QF 4/Play-off 2: Winner of Play-off 1 v Tipperary, 26 April

Semi-final 1:  Cork v Kerry (provisional)
Semi-Final 2: Limerick v QF4 Winner (provisional)

Since the losing semi final teams are out of the competition completely (the losing finalists play in AI quarter finals), the Cork/Kerry meeting should be a spicy affair.

EDIT 2 April 14 (EDIT 1 deleted):  The draw has decreed Cork to play Kerry and Limerick to play the winner of the Semi-final play-off between the other 3 teams. If Waterford qualify for the semi-final, then they cannot play Limerick (having already met in the Q-Final).  In that scenario, the semi-final line-up would be Cork v Waterford and Kerry v Limerick.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:46:07 AM by Ball Hopper »

Ball Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 12:13:21 AM »
Minor Football Championship Update 20 April to update Play-off 1 and confirm semi-final pairings:

QF 1: Cork 3-21 Tipperary 1-8
QF 2: Kerry 2-16  Clare 1-6
QF 3: Limerick 1-10 Waterford 0-9

Play-off 1: Clare 5-11 Waterford 0-6
QF 4/Play-off 2: Clare v Tipperary, 26 April in Ennis

Semi-final 1:  Cork v Kerry 10 May in Cork
Semi-Final 2: Limerick v Clare or Tipperary, 10 May in Limerick

Final: on 2 July

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:27:26 PM by Ball Hopper »